Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Sidetrack
Enthusiast
Sidetrack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
metadata source, isfdb.com?

Is there a plugin in existence to download title, series and author metadata from the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (isfdb.org) ?

While they're limited in scope, they don't seem to junk up the titles, and publisher fields with extraneous information like some of the other data sources. Series names are more consistent, and the publishing dates are more what I'm looking for.
Sidetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no, but you're welcome to contribute one
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Sidetrack
Enthusiast
Sidetrack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm looking in to it, may give it go. With the amount of time it will take me to come up to speed though, I won't cry if someone beats me to it.
Sidetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
madphysicist
madphysicist began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Looks like there are a couple of options now: https://github.com/confluence/isfdb2-calibre
madphysicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by madphysicist View Post
Looks like there are a couple of options now: https://github.com/confluence/isfdb2-calibre
This is of interest to me but I cannot understand how to download and install the plugin into Calibre for Windows.

Please could you give some explicit simplified instructions of how to do this.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by madphysicist View Post
Looks very interesting, but when I tried to load it I get the following:

~/isfdb2-calibre$ calibre-customize -b isfdb2-plugin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 77, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 792, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 752, in build_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 203, in load
File "importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 185, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.isfdb.__init__", line 5, in <module>
ImportError: No module named queue

Edit: silly me, I was still on 4.23 and this plugin needs python 3. After I (finally) upgraded, it loads fine.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 01-07-2021 at 07:27 AM. Reason: My mistake
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
This is of interest to me but I cannot understand how to download and install the plugin into Calibre for Windows.

Please could you give some explicit simplified instructions of how to do this.
Basically, you need to download the code and then create a .zip file of the contents of the isfdb2-plugin directory. I've attached the one I created to this message. In my limited testing on 10 books, the only extra it offered was a mass of tags.
Attached Files
File Type: zip isfdb2-plugin.zip (7.2 KB, 199 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I've been playing with it, and it seems very good at picking up magazine covers and dates for sci-fi short stories. I had been going to ISFDB manually to look those up.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Basically, you need to download the code and then create a .zip file of the contents of the isfdb2-plugin directory. I've attached the one I created to this message. In my limited testing on 10 books, the only extra it offered was a mass of tags.
Thank you very much. That was most generous.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:02 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thank you very much. That was most generous.

You're welcome. I used that source a lot of years ago but hadn't used it for quite a while. I find it useful for older SF & Fantasy books and short stories.

As for generous? I already created the file so just a few clicks to share it out.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

This Plugin need to be added to the Index of Calibre plugins.

It would also be useful for this thread to be moved to the Calibre Plugin subforum.

I have wanted a plugin like this for years and was totally unaware of this plugin.

It seems to work well with Calibre 5.8.1 as far as I can see.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
This Plugin need to be added to the Index of Calibre plugins.

It would also be useful for this thread to be moved to the Calibre Plugin subforum.
Moving this thread to the Calibre Plugins subforum will achieve nothing.

Someone who can maintain the plugin needs to create a thread in the sub-forum that conforms to the layout and content documented in the Index of plugins, and then ask a moderator to update the index.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #13
feuille
Connoisseur
feuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enough

Device: android smartphone + tablet
ISFDB3 as Fork of ISFDB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Someone who can maintain the plugin needs to create a thread in the Subforum (...)
I now maintain a fork of ISFDB2 as ISFDB3.
feuille is offline   Reply With Quote