Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #13111
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Ok, seriously guys. I need to drop this board from my life. I can't go though it without picking up 2-3 MORE books/series to read (The Rook and Repairman Jack this week). It's not like I need more books to read! I have 3 out from the library now plus an audio book plus one more waiting to be picked up plus 3 more waiting for others to finish up so I'll get them.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #13112
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I have stopped reading Novels and am now addicted to short stories. I am currently reading The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures edited by Mike Ashley. I got it hard format as it was significantly cheaper than digital but it is available in digital formats you want that format.

Some are good, some are great, some are so so, but all in all, at less than a penny per page for these stories they are a great read and nice way to end my night with some light adventure reading.

I also got a few more Mammoth Books (I got the person selling them to combine shipping ) I look forward to them also.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #13113
rce884
rce884 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want a sense of community!!! (Yes, I'm very needy!)

I'm currently reading my first Hobb book, "Assasin's Apprentice," and I'm loving it.

I just bought the newest bundle of her books, and plan to buy the earlier bundle, and also the other 2 in the immediate series that I'm reading.

Her work is very engaging and thoughtful. The pace is leisurely and thought-provoking, and her characters seem real: they reflect and think.

I highly recommend the book I'm reading. From what I've read about the other 8 titles in the overall series, she is not to be missed!

So let's talk about BOOKS!!!!!

Don
Love the Hobb books. have read the tawny man trilogy magic. just magic. it pulled me in and at the end of each book left me longing for more. i am putting the other books in the series on my summer reading list. it is wierd to have read the second series first but well i just picked the first of the tawny man series up because i liked the cover. now that i have my kindle it will be a great read.
rce884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #13114
rce884
rce884 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Talking oh my goodness 800+ pages of reccomendations and discussions

this is just too much. i am delighted! how will i manage to get through with out being overwhelmed. i am at work now but when i get home i will be making my list and checking it twice, sure all the books are not naughty but nice.

it is so nice to find readers in a world that echews reading as folly. well thats my experience.

and to stay on focus with the thread
i am currently reading a lot of comediennes and comidans autobiographies. it is a break from the crazy world of murder mysteries that i was reading before that. Janet evanovich has me spellbound by her light humor and compelling characters. but i have to wait for 18 to come out. as it is i am reading carol burnettes autobiography. and a clive barker book the art of the great and secret show.

rce884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #13115
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rce884 View Post
this is just too much. i am delighted! how will i manage to get through with out being overwhelmed. i am at work now but when i get home i will be making my list and checking it twice, sure all the books are not naughty but nice.

it is so nice to find readers in a world that echews reading as folly. well thats my experience.

i am currently reading a lot of comediennes and comidans autobiographies. it is a break from the crazy world of murder mysteries that i was reading before that. Janet evanovich has me spellbound by her light humor and compelling characters. but i have to wait for 18 to come out. as it is i am reading carol burnettes autobiography. and a clive barker book the art of the great and secret show.

Welcome to the insanity. Run away while you still can.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #13116
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool G. Norman Lippert & Robert B Parker's Jesse Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading a novella called Flyover Country by G. Norman Lippert. It was really a fun read. It felt like an episode of The Twilight Zone. Now on to Lippert's other Lulu.com based PDF book The God of Lost Things, which appears to be a somewhat longer book.
I finished reading The God of Lost Things and really had fun doing so. I'm definitely a G. Norman Lippert fan. Now, what with all the Robert B Parker discussion here I just began reading the first Jesse Stone novel, Night Passage. I'm convinced that this'll be good as I thoroughly enjoyed the TV movie (and the other Jesse Stone TV movies as well).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #13117
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Analog SFF, June 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors
Also enjoyable, but nothing really stood out in the issue for me.

Next: A back-issue of F&SF, September 2005 by Spilogale authors.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #13118
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
I have stopped reading Novels and am now addicted to short stories. I am currently reading The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures edited by Mike Ashley. I got it hard format as it was significantly cheaper than digital but it is available in digital formats you want that format.
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked it up with a Kobo discount code for $4.19.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #13119
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The Honorverse

I'm currently reading "Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington" (from the Changer of Worlds anthology). Based on internal chronology, this is the fourth novella of the Honor Harrington series. The story takes place approximately 20 years (I think) before the initial novel On Basilisk Station.

I'm reminded why I have to take the series a little more slowly. Not only can the story lines & sub-plots be complex, but the number of star systems, governments, ships and their personnel can also be quite overwhelming.

That aside, I do like the series. I read the first nine and a half novels, quite a few years ago, but this is my first time reading the short-stories, novellas and spin-offs.

The first three novellas introduced us to the treecats, the first Harrington (who was also the first human) to be adopted by a treecat, and some of the trials, tribulations, and discoveries of the treecat-human bond, from both the treecats' and their humans' perspectives.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #13120
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rce884 View Post

Welcome to MR! I'm sure that your to-be-read list will soon be getting unwieldy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #13121
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
...Some things just require continuity....
Amen. One of my pet peeves with movie series today. Sure, sometimes it can't be helped: an actor dies, or becomes unavailable for whatever reason, but the powers-that-be don't even seem to even try to maintain continuity anymore.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #13122
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: A back-issue of F&SF, September 2005 by Spilogale authors.
Well, actually I read Grantville Gazette 41 first, as I noticed that it was out. Another set of stories about minor characters in the 1632 universe, along with fact articles and a couple of extras.

And now I'm moving onto the F&SF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #13123
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (second time): almost as good as they were the first time, except now I knew the solutions.

Currently Reading:

- A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell #2) by Laurie R. King (53%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (35%) [on hold]

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (28%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #13124
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Currently reading:

- The Second World War, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm, by Winston S. Churchill (0%)

- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck (13%)

- 1Q84, by Haruki Murakami (6%)

- A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin (9%)
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #13125
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Just started Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith.
Quote:
They're an iconic part of history's most celebrated birth. But what do we really know about the Three Kings of the Nativity, besides the fact that they followed a star to Bethlehem bearing strange gifts? The Bible has little to say about this enigmatic trio. But leave it to Seth Grahame-Smith, the brilliant and twisted mind behind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to take a little mystery, bend a little history, and weave an epic tale.

In Grahame-Smith's telling, the so-called "Three Wise Men" are infamous thieves, led by the dark, murderous Balthazar. After a daring escape from Herod's prison, they stumble upon the famous manger and its newborn king. The last thing Balthazar needs is to be slowed down by young Joseph, Mary and their infant. But when Herod's men begin to slaughter the first born in Judea, he has no choice but to help them escape to Egypt.

It's the beginning of an adventure that will see them fight the last magical creatures of the Old Testament; cross paths with biblical figures like Pontius Pilate and John the Baptist; and finally deliver them to Egypt. It may just be the greatest story never told.
Show More
Show Less
So far I like it a lot.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote