Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #421
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Ah great! Those weren't there last week; only kindle builds.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #422
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
About the suspend support, it is on my to-do list, since it should be quite straightforward given the work done by cgm999. Next is night-reading mode. The thing of kobos stuck in koreader's file manager shouldn't happen any more, I'm going to signal the nightly builds in the first post as soon as I've tested the "first time install" thoroughly...
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #423
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Build 448 (koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2013.03-448-gb8dc272) on Aura HD works for the filemanager and pdfreader. It allows you to tap the top enabling the menu with frontlight settings and history (!!). However, it reboots when I try to change epub from landscape to portrait.

Build 454. (koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2013.03-454-gd9bc98a): It still reboots when trying to change the epubreader from the initial landscape mode to portrait.

I use Nickel for epub, so it is still quite an improvement having a history menu.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #424
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... I am using 454 and it is defaulting to Portrait mode on .epubs for me. I am reading exclusively with Koreader now and have no ebooks being managed by Kobo's Nickel. I saw the History selection in the Home Menu it looks to be the same as the Recent Reading selection. I also read .pdb ebook files with Koreader but haven't gotten around to one since I did the nightly last night.

I am not trying to be much of a tester, just a user. I am in an .epub right now I could check if it is an issue going from portrait to Landscape and back. Here goes ... gone to landscape , no problem until I tried to swipe backwards, forward was no problem. On the backward swipe it rebooted. Selecting the Koreader.png got me to my File Manager page and using History I am back in the .epub in portrait mode (Not on the right page though). All my bottom menu setting have been reset to their defaults, so I have to do that again. I can't get Go To Page or location to work for me. Well, I can't get out of the Go to menu, so I'll have to poweroff.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #425
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
We still have some way to go - your experiences are a good hint towards newcomers what to expect from nightly builds :-) Thanks so much for testing it, though. Reports of bugs and errors are always much appreciated. However, it is still a bit in flux - we're currently doing some major changes at the "pillars" of the software. It'll be a shaky ride for the next ~10-14 days coming, I guess.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #426
Markismus
Guru

New nighly build version 463 (koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2013.03-463-g843d697) on Aura HD: epub reader allows to change portrait/landscape mode now, but reboots after a few page turns.

Ken already had those results with build version 454.

@Hawhill Are there specific features which you would like tested on Kobo Aura?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #427
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
No, not really yet. Getting (keeping?) it stable is my #1 priority at the moment, while undertaking the changes I'd like to get into the code base (technically talking, this is migrating Lua/C-API stuff to Luajit-FFI stuff).

Then we should probably focus on a "release" version, postponing new features and concentrating on stability for a while.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #428
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably, at this point most who even consider using "Nightly Builds" remember that term as referring to just some new code and a make file that you would only be able to use if you had the proper tools available in the proper environment. What is great about these new "Nightly Builds" is that they are more like "Beta" release software, that an experienced user can play with. While being a C programmer would be an important skill for you who are actually developing the project, the extensive use of scripting offers those of us who just dabble, from time to time, some access to the customization and tailoring of the software to our own needs.

I can certainly understand your and Giorgio's concern and commitment to the integrity of the project, and your probable cringing at the liberties taken with the easy access that scripting provides, but from our side it makes for a wild ride.

I also think you guys are very close to a "release" version. I use Koreader on my AuraHD for most of my casual reading, on an everyday basis.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #429
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not sure whether this information can help.
I am using the build koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2013.03-454-gd9bc98a on a Touch.
It happens that the koreader starts crashing immediately after start. After deleting settings.reader.lua the koreader is ok again.
The crash log is:

Quote:
NtxHwCfg_GetCfgFldStrVal:[WARNING]Config version too old !! Please update config file !!
./luajit: ./frontend/settings.lua:59: attempt to index field 'data' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
./frontend/settings.lua:59: in function 'readSetting'
./reader.lua:147: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'dofile'
./koreader-base:35: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x0000c31c
I think the other point has already been mentioned. After the koreader exits it leaves the screen rotated by 90 degree and the touch calibration is off by about 5 or 6 centimeter (on the Touch). The screen is also darker as usual. Apart from that the screen is in now way distorted (as it was in an earlier version).

Last edited by tshering; 08-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #430
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Well the kindle version of build 463 is at 949 downloads, so there is some interest in the current version. The Kobo 463 has 28 downloads, for some perspective. But then these new type of packages appear to be only 4 days old.

There must be some subtle differences between the models that aren't being taken into account. The process of unifying software across a number of devices is often a matter of acknowledging how a slightly different coding may be needed to have a common function work, not just different values. An earlier "localization", the use of an approach based on a device, different from that for the other devices, can force the need for later adjustments, as well. But maybe not in this situation.

Build 463 is running fine for me, on an AuraHD. I haven't been using it for anything but reading .epubs lately though.

Build 469 is running fine for me, on an AuraHD. Reading .pdb Question: Is there a way to clear the History? Or selectively remove entries on the list? Oh, and the chevrons next to the bottom page number are working to turn pages.

Build 476 running well.
Build 479 and 481 working fine as well.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #431
Markismus
Guru

Does anyone know whether there is a build which can read djvu-files on an Aura? I've tried 469 and 476 of the github download and giorgio's 396 build, but both don't work: the Aura reboots.

Last edited by Markismus; 08-23-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #432
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktv View Post
Now koreader in kobo aura hd can't support djvu files.Once open a djvu file,it will reboot.
Did you find a way to get it working?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #433
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
I installed koreader on Aura HD 2.8.1 firmware successfully, but most of the files (PDF and DjVu) hang either immediately (on page 1) or after a couple of minutes.

UPDATE: Is there a way to DISABLE this "Processing content" operation? With 12,000 books on the 32GB card it is taking AGES... I know this has nothing to do with koreader, this is just the native kobo thing is trying to analyze the content of my micro-sd card which is ridiculous, because since 1970s we have the concept of hierarchical directory structure, so there is no need to invent any such concepts as "shelves", "collections" and the like... I hope there is a way to disable it as the progress bar is still stuck at "7% complete" while I wrote this message...

Last edited by tigran; 08-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #434
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Did you find a way to get it working?
The djvu files seem to work fine in build 479, i.e. koreader doesn't hang earlier than usual (i.e. in about 5-10 minutes of usage, just like with pdf files).

I haven't tested fb2 files yet. As there is no native CoolReader for Kobo Aura HD the koreader seems to be the only way to read fb2 files on this device. I will try fb2 files and let people know if they work fine. (that "Processing content" thing is now at 15%...)
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #435
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
I installed koreader on Aura HD 2.8.1 firmware successfully, but most of the files (PDF and DjVu) hang either immediately (on page 1) or after a couple of minutes.

UPDATE: Is there a way to DISABLE this "Processing content" operation? With 12,000 books on the 32GB card it is taking AGES... I know this has nothing to do with koreader, this is just the native kobo thing is trying to analyze the content of my micro-sd card which is ridiculous, because since 1970s we have the concept of hierarchical directory structure, so there is no need to invent any such concepts as "shelves", "collections" and the like... I hope there is a way to disable it as the progress bar is still stuck at "7% complete" while I wrote this message...
PDFs appear to be working on mine. Yes, you can put your files behind a Linux "hidden" folder (one with a name that starts with a period/dot like .Books) the current Koreader builds have Koreader set to read hidden files.

Kobo's Nickel program won't process such "hidden" files.

To make a file/folder name that is hidden in Linux, on a windows PC, just put a dot/period in front of the name you want and put one behind the name also. The one behind will disappear and you will be left with the .name folder/file that Linux will treat as hidden.

To make accessing all my folders that I put in a hidden folder on my external uSD a little easier I also changed the "reader.lua" argument from "/mnt/onboard" to /mnt/sd/.Koreader/Books/" which is the first page of the File Manager listing of my ebook files. That is in "/.kobo/koreader/koreader_kobo.sh".

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.