Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Screensaver Hack

(NOT FOR KSO)
  • there is no need for jailbreak. If you have a RUNME.done file on your kindle, you need to delete it.
    • if you used geekmaster's data.tar.gz before, just copy attached RUNME.sh to Kindle then restart
    • if you did not use geekmaster's data.tar.gz before, then
  • if you notice that a folder with name: screensaver is created, then the process is completed

Then
  • Copy screensavers to the Kindle/screensaver folder ( A restart after a change in screensaver folder may be necessary also.)
  • You can erase the RUNME.sh, RUNME.done and RUNME.out from your Kindle.
images should be in png format and probably needed to be in size 600*800. if there is a problem you should see the original thread for other details

...And here there is a list of links where you can find screensavers.

BTW: There is no need to say that all credit goes to geekmaster and ixtab.(related thread )
Attached Files
File Type: zip RUNME.zip (456 Bytes, 2460 views)

Last edited by thomass; 05-26-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: see post #4
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This looks simple enough. I looked at your RUNME.sh script, and it looks like it should work.

I was hoping people would add status messages to the eink display WHILE their RUNME.sh scripts are running (to provide feedback to the user that he did it right). This s WHY I published that particular demo RUNME.sh script that does the pretty pattern and text. I did the "eips -p" to display the pretty pattern, just to make it *obvious* that the RUNME.sh really did run.

You can copy and change stuff from my RUNME.sh (which you can download where you got my data.tar.gz), and add eink display messages to your RUNME.sh script. I suggest adding messages for "Already installed" and for "Now copy screensaver images to /mnt/us/screensavers" (or whatever works for you).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-09-2012 at 08:31 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can ... add eink display messages to your RUNME.sh script....
Done
Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eips only does 40 lines (0-39) of 50 characters (0-49). One of your lines is longer than 50 characters, and it starts at position 11 (the 12th column) on that line. You should split long messages to multiple lines. Also, there is no need to display blank lines where you already displayed blank lines earlier. The reason I did those blank areas around the text was to create a white border around the text on the background pattern (which you are not using here). Good start, but needs a little work (and testing) ...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
eips only does 40 lines (0-39) of 50 characters (0-49). One of your lines is longer than 50 characters, and it starts at position 11 (the 12th column) on that line.
Changed accordingly.
Quote:
You should split long messages to multiple lines. Also, there is no need to display blank lines where you already displayed blank lines earlier. The reason I did those blank areas around the text was to create a white border around the text on the background pattern (which you are not using here). Good start, but needs a little work (and testing) ...
I'm learning

...and thanks again
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
thomass
Wizard

deleted.

Last edited by thomass; 04-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Changed accordingly.

I'm learning

...and thanks again
That looks good. And we are all learning here.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
LLM
LLM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.0NT
This all sounds great. Exactly what I am looking for, and easy, too. Unfortunately, it is not working for me. As simple as they seem to be, perhaps I am misunderstanding the instructions?

I have no RUNME.done file in any of the directories of my Kindle.

I now do have the data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh files in the root directory of my Kindle.

I've restarted many times, but no "screensaver" folder has appeared.

It is a 4.0 NT.

Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.

LLM
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
thomass
Wizard

This script is tested (at least twice.), and it successfully creates screensaver folder and even a folder with name SCREEN~1 as a bonus ( don't know why)

after the first restart data.tar.gz should dissappear.
after the second restart RUNME.sh should be executed and folder screensaver and file RUNME.done should be created.

May try with using only the RUNME.sh .
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
geekmaster

Are you using the settings menu to restart? Using a power switch long hold does not reliably extract data.tar.gz.

Also, for this RUNME.sh, be sure that you do NOT have an ENABLE_DIAGS file on your usb drive.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
wow. this is brilliant!!! just did it in 3 minutes on my kindle non touch w/o special offers. works like a charm. thank you for such a great workaround. tried it on my k3 to no success but there is another way i'm sure. regardless, awesome!!!!
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Are the original screensavers preserved when running this hack (and put in the screensavers folder)? I don't mind them, I'd just like to be able to add some of my own.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Are the original screensavers preserved when running this hack (and put in the screensavers folder)? I don't mind them, I'd just like to be able to add some of my own.
yes, in this folder: /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
LLM

Thanks! Fantastic!

[QUOTE=geekmaster;2091231]Are you using the settings menu to restart? Using a power switch long hold does not reliably extract data.tar.gz.

That was it. Thanks a million. Great piece of work!

Larry
Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
LLM

Just Displays One Photo

Feel like a complete newbie leaching off you guys, but here goes again:

So, I got it all done, the folder (screensaver) was created, but when I put photos in it (pngs, b&w, 600*800) only the first one shows. (Don't know if the Kindle screen actually burns in, but that would be a screen burner, rather than a screen saver.) Any ideas why this might be?

Other random details which may or may not be relevant:

A "RUNME.done" and a "RUNME.out" file also appeared in the root directory of the Kindle. There is no " /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_" folder with the original photos.

Thanks!