Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
toomuchtoread
toomuchtoread began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquot View Post
Hello everybody
This is my first post here and I read a review about the iriver story hd.
Thank you for that.

Il live in France and I have no ebook but I'd like to have my own to read documents like pdf when in the subway.

I'm interested in the iriver because they say it has a better and a sharper screen yet I find it very hard to find where to buy it.
Not even amazon or ebay.

Could you tell me where to buy it in sweden or in another european country with english internet shop (I don't speak swedish) ?
Is there any information about a release in France or other countries ?

Thanks
Bonjour Jacquot,

Actually, the iRiver Story HD has been on sale for some time now in Europe. Shops are supplied only a few ereaders at a time and as soon as potential buyers tell each other which shop has stock it's run out.

It might be possible to order in Germany but I would prefer to buy it in my country of residence due to warranty issues.

Regarding reading foreign languages: Google Is Your Friend!
Use translate.google.com and you can read almost any language. When you use www.google.com next to each foreign entry Google finds there is an option Translate (Traduire cette page). Click on that and it will translate that site for you. Easy does it.

Ma deuxième maison est en France: le camping!

Last edited by toomuchtoread; 06-30-2011 at 08:41 PM.
toomuchtoread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #17
perma
perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Cybook Opus, Iriver Story HD, Kobo Touch
I compared my iRiver Story HD side by side with the kindle wi-fi last night and here's a few thoughts. The kindle was a major competitor for me when buying a new reader but the fact that I doesn’t support epub has always made me hesitate. And now I’m quite satisfied that I waited for the iRiver instead. But it is still interesting to compare the two (for me at least ).

1. The Story HDs screen is in my opinion the better of the two. The higher resolution allowed for much clearer fonts on the iRiver and images and line art looks great on the iRiver since it seems to have more levels of grey as well. Menus look much better than on the Kindle. I would say that the contrast is on par or slightly better on the Story HD than on the Kindle. The text appears blacker on the Story but the grey of the background was about the same.

2. The page turn speed of the iRiver was not as good as on the Kindle though. I didn’t time it but the kindle was slightly faster. The kindle was also somewhat faster in menus and handling overall. Especially if you compare dictionary lookup (thanks for pointing that out stesc) where the iRiver is awfully slow compared to the Kindle. Let’s just hope that this improves by firmware updates.

3. The devices are quite similar in size and apperance. The kindle seems a bit heavier and not so comfortable to hold in my opinion (without a case anyway). The keyboard keys are softer on the kindle and less audible than on the iRiver. I also found that I like the navigation switch on the iRiver better than the Kindles side buttons.

Now back to reading!
perma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
sgiessl
sgiessl is on a distinguished road

Device: iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoread View Post
Since the released version of the iRiver Story HD in Europe doesn't seem to have WiFi, how should it be possible to follow hyperlinks? Do you mean inside one document?
Sorry for not making myself perfectly clear - yes, I mean the links inside one document. I have .epub files which contain clickable references (when viewed in Calibre), but I'm unable to follow them on the iRiver Story HD (which I'm very much satisfied with besides that).
sgiessl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiessl View Post
Sorry for not making myself perfectly clear - yes, I mean the links inside one document. I have .epub files which contain clickable references (when viewed in Calibre), but I'm unable to follow them on the iRiver Story HD (which I'm very much satisfied with besides that).
I don't think that's possible right now. Or at least I can't figure out how to do it as well.
stesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stesc View Post
A few things I noticed after using it for a day:
- it doesn't save the correct page when you leave a book, I always have to go back 1 page after reopening it
I've had mine now for a few days now as well and read several books, but this hasn't cropped up for me more than once or twice. It might have something to do with font size, but I'm not sure about that.

Quote:
- the 'Book List' view on the home page only ever shows 4 books and is not scrollable
It took me a while to figure out that you have to mark the menu item (Author, Title, Favourites etc) and hit enter to get a full list of the contents to page through. Those four entries for each (assuming there are four of course) confused me at first.

This is my first device so I don't have anything to compare with, but so far I'm very happy. I'm feeling a little let down that it didn't have audio playback, but I can live with that.
I've been reading for hours non-stop and have experienced no eye-strain but I will look into getting a cover though to get a more comfortable grip.
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarulf View Post
I've had mine now for a few days now as well and read several books, but this hasn't cropped up for me more than once or twice. It might have something to do with font size, but I'm not sure about that.
Interesting. I might have to test a few more books, with the one I read right now it happens every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarulf View Post
It took me a while to figure out that you have to mark the menu item (Author, Title, Favourites etc) and hit enter to get a full list of the contents to page through. Those four entries for each (assuming there are four of course) confused me at first.
I noticed that as well. I just think it's annoying that you can't scroll through all your books from the home screen. Especially if you switch the database to folder view, it just shows the first 4 entries from the last page you visited in the full content list.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Quote:
I noticed that as well. I just think it's annoying that you can't scroll through all your books from the home screen.
They might have designed that a little better, I agree.
One other thing I've noticed a couple of times is that once you've connected the device to your computer to manage the books (i.e not just to charge it) it sometimes unmounts for some reason. Rebooting the device fixes this. Perhaps it's just my USB port (on the front of my PC, which the manual does warn you about. Why? ) so I'll see if the ports in the back are better.
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #23
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I´ve just got the mine here, in Spain. I'm a little dissapointed and I think the device will need some improvements:

- Firstly the zoom in/out on images is not possible. Disgusting because maybe I could need to do it in some pictures.
- Rotate images is not possible too. I would like reading comics and for me the landscapes is a better option than retrait mode but it' doesn't work. Terrible.
- A led to indicate the charge of device could be great. I'm not sure if my device is totally charged.
- Multiple languages availables but only English dictionary.
- Pathetic zoom in/out on PDFs documents (portrait and landscape mode), very limited and not useful if you need it f.e on text with images.
- Only one font available
- I tried to auto-sleep the device and the power button doesn´t work correctly. I have to wait for the automaticaly auto-sleep function.
- The manual. Can I call "manual" to one description sheet?! No!!
- Nothing about the device in the main iRiver Website.

Ok, the screen looks great but the options are limited and make this device useless in several aspects. I prefer my Kindle 3.

Last edited by jaxsnop; 07-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

Google and iriver just announced that iriver’s latest 6″ ebook reader, iRiver Stroy HD, will soon be available at Target here in the US. It’s going to be tied to Google eBooks, and it will be the first e-reader that will let you buy ebooks from Google direct from the device. It will be available in stores and online from 17 July, with a retail of $139.

Curiosly the actual device doesn't have Wi-fi network, so a new model is near.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...le-ebookstore/
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
stesc

According to heise.de we'll get the wifi version here in Germany (and the rest of Europe probably) in September. Price point will be the same as the non-wifi version right now.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have started a wiki entry for this product Iriver Story HD. As more becomes known the entry can be expanded.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have started a wiki entry for this product iriver Story HD. As more becomes known the entry can be expanded.
It's a lower case i -> iriver.

Last edited by DaleDe; 07-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's a lower case i -> iriver.
Yes, but the wiki always uppercases the first letter. I can override that in some instances but not altogether. I can make the name, in this case, lowercase so I edited the post.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 07-12-2011 at 12:47 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
How's browsing for books on the device; does it allow browsing through folders (e.g. Fiction English - Writer Name - Book Titel, etc.). This is important once you load lots of books.
How many zoom levels?
Margin settings???
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
How's browsing for books on the device; does it allow browsing through folders (e.g. Fiction English - Writer Name - Book Titel, etc.). This is important once you load lots of books.
How many zoom levels?
Margin settings???
Not many zooms, it's very poor and limited. Good margins but not settings.
It's a good device but needs a lot of improvements. I prefer my Kindle 3 but with new updates iriver hd story could be a good competitor.

Last edited by jaxsnop; 07-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.