Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
alchemist1
alchemist1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Best e-reader for working w Calibre collections / large library?

I have a large physical library being converted to ebooks (1000+ titles). I want to be able to organize it into collections, so I can more easily find a book on the e-reader.

I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite. It works great with about 10-20 books on it. However, I understand to get Calibre Collections working, I must jailbreak it and use a 3rd party collections manager. That seems like a convoluted process, and I'm not sure how good or supported the 3rd party collections manager is.

Is there another e-reader I should try, that is as comfortable to use as the Paperwhite, but already works with Calibre Collections?
alchemist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The Kobo and Sony brands work great with Calibre for handling collections.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
alchemist1
alchemist1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I heard Sony is no longer available in U.S.?
alchemist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
The newest version, the T3, was not released in the US. However if you know someone in Canada or are near the border it is available there. Alternatively the T2 can still be obtained and Tiger Direct just had a sale on refurbished T2s for $30. There's a thread on the Deals page.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Yes, Onyx ereaders. It allows to use folders to store your books, so you can use a label from calibre to create the carpets, author's, etc and store the files in a proper way. They also doesn't index the books, so you can hold all your collection without die doing it.

The worst of kindle it's the collections system :P
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may wish to consider the Onyx T68. It's an eInk Android tablet that can run Calibre Companion, which gives you a far, far better interface to your library than any system of collections does. You can use whatever you want as a back end to it for a reading app - Moon+ works very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
EugeneGant
EugeneGant began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple
Get a discontinued Nook Simple on eBay. You can side-load all your books to an external memory card. The new Nook Glowlight is twice as expensive and has no side-loading. No internal lighting on the Nook Simple, but that has never been an issue with me. None of the books in my extensive physical book collection have built in lights either. You can pick up a a new or little used Nook Simple for around $40. I like the Nook Simple so much, I am considering buying a backup unit.
EugeneGant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may wish to consider the Onyx T68. It's an eInk Android tablet that can run Calibre Companion, which gives you a far, far better interface to your library than any system of collections does. You can use whatever you want as a back end to it for a reading app - Moon+ works very well.
IMO Calibre Companion is the best way to organize a big library that there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneGant View Post
Get a discontinued Nook Simple on eBay. You can side-load all your books to an external memory card. The new Nook Glowlight is twice as expensive and has no side-loading. No internal lighting on the Nook Simple, but that has never been an issue with me. None of the books in my extensive physical book collection have built in lights either. You can pick up a a new or little used Nook Simple for around $40. I like the Nook Simple so much, I am considering buying a backup unit.
I thought the nook didn't play well with calibre collections, am I wrong?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I just got the $30 Sony T2 refurb from Tiger Direct and I forgot what a joy the Sony software is. It sorts all my books into collections based on the series/tag info from Calibre. If this had a frontlight it would be my Holy Grail reader and I would buy like 3 of them.

My Kobo Aura HD theoretically does this, but also has a several hour spasm every time I add more than a few new books at a time. It's built-in reader is also crap and and leaves huge white spaces at the bottom of every page.

I wish there was a way to put the Sony software onto the Aura.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've always had Kindles but the Onxy T68 sounds pretty nice. I might have to get one. I like Amazon but I don't like their library management.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm hugely impressed with it. Being able to use Calibre Companion just transforms the experience of having a large library on the device. Infinitely better than any system of collections, folders, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm hugely impressed with it. Being able to use Calibre Companion just transforms the experience of having a large library on the device. Infinitely better than any system of collections, folders, etc.
Yeah, I must admit it sounds very tempting. I was this close to preordering the PocketBook InkPad 840, but I think I'll hold off for the i86...

Last edited by mbovenka; 07-05-2014 at 03:59 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, paperwhite, paperwhite collections