Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Marvel Comics App Debuts on iPad

crossposted from The Digital Reader

There are 500 titles available, and they are priced at $1.99 each. From the press release:
Quote:
Marvel Entertainment is proud to announce the launch of the Marvel Comics App for iPad on the App Store. This landmark app launches with over 500 of Marvel’s greatest comic books, from classic stories to modern tales, featuring Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor and more of the world’s most popular Super Heroes. The Marvel Comics App brings the world of Marvel to iPad owners with each comic presented at incredibly high resolution possible on iPad’s full color screen, a user-friendly search engine, innovative viewing options and more.
Xeni Jardin of BoingBoing was one of the select few to get an early iPad, and she took the time to post a video on YouTube:
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
What do other people think about this repackaging of existing content as an app?

I was impressed by this, but when I went to the Marvel site I found that you can already subscribe to and view this material in your browser, so it's already available for the iPad.

http://marvel.com/digitalcomics/titl...r-man.1963.229

I'm also not sure how readable this will be. Loading up one of the free samples on my monitor which has a greater vertical pixel count than the iPad, and is more like 13" diagonally for a comic page, compared to the iPad's 10", I found that the page was still a little small to read many of them comfortably.

EDIT: Ah... the Marvel comics require Flash to be read in the browser. Hence the iPad app. Still the question's still a relevant one.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 04-02-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: did some testing...
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It appears to be "just" the Digital Comics that are available from Marvel.com now. Perhaps this app is just a browser shortcut...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
When I read the digital comics I almost always use the "Smart Panel" view which flows from panel to panel. The transistions are nice and its very readable on 15 inch laptop.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see. I've found how the Smart Panel view works now. Yes, that helps. Very clever.

Graham
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
An ipad version of the digital comics unlimited would be a much more welcome option, given the size of the marvel's back catalogue its ideally suited to more of a subscription model.

One possible plus point to this ipad version (actually an update to an existing iphone app) is that it might have more current comics because dcu lags behind the paper editions.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
1.99 is too much for a digital comic.......
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow...

I'm curious to see how well the iPad will deal with PDF. If it's as nice as for those comics, I might buy one!
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The display mirrors like hell.

No way I will spend one buck on that device ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The display mirrors like hell.

No way I will spend one buck on that device ...
Im going to be controversial here!!!

I think your a liar!

I think if I walked up to you tomorrow and offered you a legit iPad for $1 you would buy it!

stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Graham
Wizard

I finally got the bandwidth to watch the video clip. They're kidding right? Is there really no page button on this thing? The page view would be a bit too small on the screen for me, and in panel view my fingers would fall off after swiping my way through a whole comic that way!

Let's hope a thumb press in the bottom right corner would work as well...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im going to be controversial here!!!

I think your a liar!

I think if I walked up to you tomorrow and offered you a legit iPad for $1 you would buy it!

I suspect you're right. Can I get in on that action.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
It does look pretty responsive though, but I'll wait a few years until someone other than apple puts out something similar
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
MrCarl, Do you have any idea what the cost of a new comic book is today? The days are gone when you can get a Batman, Spiderman, whatever for 25cents. You even pay a buck at flea markets for a used edition in not the best condition.

joblack, don't read under the blazing sun, not even with an e-ink device. You and the device will live longer.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
I discovered the iPhone Marvel App just yesterday, and I must say I love it how Marvel presents their comic books.

This zooming in and out really adds some cinematic touch (no pun intended) to splash pages where you first see part of the scene, read the text and then get a flawless zoom to the whole panel. Very nice, indeed.

This really adds a new dimension to reading comics, and it's been a first in about two years that I grabbed a Marvel comic book. And enjoyed reading it on an iPhone screen.

Nuff said.

Quote:
Let's hope a thumb press in the bottom right corner would work as well...
Not nuff said ... thumb press (thumb touch, that is) right or left does work, at least on the iPhone.

Last edited by K-Thom; 04-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote