Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Decrypt lrf to read on reader [NOTE: OP meant LRX]

I bought a 300 and authorized it w/o any issues. When I went to trasfer books to it a message popped up and took me to a page that said I needed to re-download my books into epub format, the 300 doesn't support lrx. I found that if you remove the DRM off the ebook and convert it to lrf using Calibre, you can put it on the reader even tho it doesn't "support" lrx anymore. The same goes for the 600 and the 900 (obviously).

Didn't know if this was already posted anywhere or not. If it is, sorry everyone!!!!!

Last edited by emonti8384; 01-04-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Title adjusted; body of OP's text not touched. - Don / Fixed the body of my post so it makes sense-Emily
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
A few others have mentioned this and the problem lies with the Sony software. LRX is with DRM and LRF is without DRM. LRF files can still be transferred to the device without any problems. LRX files need the Sony software to transfer the books and since Sony has moved to ePub they seem to have disabled the transfer of LRX. If you've previously purchased a book in LRX format, you currently or very soon will have the ability to download that ebook in ePub format.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I bought a 300 and authorized it w/o any issues. When I went to trasfer books to it a message popped up and took me to a page that said I needed to re-download my books into epub format, the 300 doesn't support lrf. I found that if you remove the DRM off the ebook and convert it to lrf using Calibre, you can put it on the reader even tho it doesn't "support" lrf anymore. The same goes for the 600 and the 900 (obviously).

Didn't know if this was already posted anywhere or not. If it is, sorry everyone!!!!!

LRF is already decrypted. (LRF has no DRM.) I have no problems reading LRF on my Sony ebook Readers.

I think perhaps you mean LRX - which is DRM'd.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I'm such a silly rabbit! Thank goodness you guys know what I mean, cuz I sure as hell don't!!!!!!!!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I'm such a silly rabbit! Thank goodness you guys know what I mean, cuz I sure as hell don't!!!!!!!!
Yes, it's crazy, alright!

Let us all know if you need more help.

Don
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Hmmmm.....

I just tried to transfer a few LRX files (already on my Reader Library and files that already exist on my 505) onto my Sony 600. I couldn't do it: These LRX files would not transfer to the Sony 600.

Perhaps this is what emonti8384 is referring to.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Don
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hmmmm.....

I just tried to transfer a few LRX files (already on my Reader Library and files that already exist on my 505) onto my Sony 600. I couldn't do it: These LRX files would not transfer to the Sony 600.

Perhaps this is what emonti8384 is referring to.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Don
I deleted a LRX book from my 300 and then started up Reader Library and transferred the book back again with no problems.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I deleted a LRX book from my 300 and then started up Reader Library and transferred the book back again with no problems.
Yes, no problem with my 505. The problem is putting these LRX titles onto my 600.

Has anyone else encountered that problem - ok on an earlier Reader, but not working on the newer Readers?

Don
Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, no problem with my 505. The problem is putting these LRX titles onto my 600.

Has anyone else encountered that problem - ok on an earlier Reader, but not working on the newer Readers?

Don
The problem is that either the 600 is not authorized or the the LRX files are not authorized or both. And since Sony switched to ePub, you cannot download the LRX again. You'll just have to download the ePub versions if available.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that either the 600 is not authorized or the the LRX files are not authorized or both. And since Sony switched to ePub, you cannot download the LRX again. You'll just have to download the ePub versions if available.
I'm not making myself clear.

The LRX files are already on my computer. They're also in my Reader Library. Nothing needs to be downloaded. I'm just trying to transer what WILL work on the 505 also onto the 600.

My 600 is an authorized device, as is my 505. My computer is authorized device. However, for some reason, on "Manage Devices," an additional computer is shown as authorized. Here's what is showing:

1) Sony 505 [correct]
2) HP Pavilion [my computer - correct]
3) Reader Library 3 [I have no idea what that is]
4) Sony 600 [correct]

All are showing "AUTHORIZED." However, the title "READER LIBRARY 3" gives me the option to "Deauthorize," whereas the other ones do not offer that choice. Basically, it's saying I've authorized 2 computers and 2 devices, which is incorrect. I only have one computer and two devices. (This information was gathered without having a Sony Reader tethered to my computer this morning.)

So what's up with that #3 thing?

By the way, I have no problem putting ePubs onto both Readers.

Don
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Where is "Manage Devices?" I don't even see it in my Sony Lib App?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Where is "Manage Devices?" I don't even see it in my Sony Lib App?
If you sign-in and go to your account and scroll down, there should be a section on "Manage Devices".
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
If you sign-in and go to your account and scroll down, there should be a section on "Manage Devices".
I'm still not following. Are you talking about the Sony Library application or on the Sony Website?

Or is this about Adobe?

Update: Okay In "My Account"

at the eBook Store via the Library app.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-01-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm still not following. Are you talking about the Sony Library application or on the Sony Website?

Or is this about Adobe?
Go to the Sony Store, sign-in, click on "Account", scroll down to where you can see your authorized devices and click on "Manage Devices".
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
kennyc

Mine just has 4 entries, but they all seem to be generic in that there are not names for them like Don above. Here's what I'm seeing:

eBook PD 1 - Reader
eBook PD 2 - Reader

Reader Library 3 - Computer

Reader Library 1 - Computer

That doesn't really give me any clue what is what.

I think I can guess -- my Sony 505, my Astak PP, My main desktop, and my netbook...but is there a way to know for sure what's what?