Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I miss the pizza from Europe, so very thin, little more than a cracker in thickness with nicely flavoured tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, pepperoncini, and maybe a bit of sausage with just a bit of cheese to meld it all together.

I can hear now the pizza guy coming into the barracks and yelling "PIZZAMAN!!!!" as they would always load up extra pizzas whenever someone on base ordered. oh! and the cardboard bases with the waxpaper tops of the pizza plates instead of our big clunky cardboard monstrosities!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #32
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Original Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Love it!

Drooling now. Not so good for my keyboard. Or my dignity.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I miss the pizza from Europe, so very thin, little more than a cracker in thickness with nicely flavoured tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, pepperoncini, and maybe a bit of sausage with just a bit of cheese to meld it all together.

I can hear now the pizza guy coming into the barracks and yelling "PIZZAMAN!!!!" as they would always load up extra pizzas whenever someone on base ordered. oh! and the cardboard bases with the waxpaper tops of the pizza plates instead of our big clunky cardboard monstrosities!
That is actually the pizza variant I prefer. I think the difference is because in Europe you order a personal pizza usually with more stuff on it then in the US and you do not share it. So you do not need to have a thick pizza that can be shared.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #34
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
If I'm having something like pizza hut pizza, thick base margherita with half cheese.
If I'm having it somewhere that does nice Italian style bases, then thin base with multi cheese topping
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is actually the pizza variant I prefer. I think the difference is because in Europe you order a personal pizza usually with more stuff on it then in the US and you do not share it. So you do not need to have a thick pizza that can be shared.
The New York style of pizza seems very thin to me, of course, I grew up on Chicago style. With the NY pizza, I often see people fold it in half length-wise to eat it. I give my friends from New Jersey the hardest time because the denounce deep dish so vehemently but yet they fold their pizza in half to eat it!

Whenever I make pizza at home, trying to divide it so everyone gets to have their favorite toppings on their slices can be a mathematical nightmare!! Forget even trying to order it at a restaurant.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
The New York style of pizza seems very thin to me, of course, I grew up on Chicago style. With the NY pizza, I often see people fold it in half length-wise to eat it. I give my friends from New Jersey the hardest time because the denounce deep dish so vehemently but yet they fold their pizza in half to eat it!
I think that is the variant that is most similar to what is most common in Sweden. If you eat it using your hands you might have to fold it. Using knife and fork is the most common way to eat it here.

Kebab-pizza has become very popular in Sweden nowadays:

Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I think that is the variant that is most similar to what is most common in Sweden. If you eat it using your hands you might have to fold it. Using knife and fork is the most common way to eat it here.

Kebab-pizza has become very popular in Sweden nowadays:

Yummy, it looks like it has plenty of my favorite green olives.

EDIT: OK, I can't see. Are those olives or mushrooms (both of which are important!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #38
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Yummy, it looks like it has plenty of my favorite green olives.

EDIT: OK, I can't see. Are those olives or mushrooms (both of which are important!)
i think they are jalapenos...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #39
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post

Kaz
So odd how people become accustomed to "one way" of doing things. I cannot eat pizza anyother way than folded, but I see your point...
So is the deep dish is typically eaten "unfolded" or with utensils?
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I think a pre-folded pizza is a calzone isn't it? Does that still count as a pizza, and does folding it yourself make it a calzone rather than a pizza?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
i think they are jalapenos...
I think it is called pepperoni.

It is in principle just cheese, onion, meat, pepperoni and a sauce.

Last edited by tompe; 05-08-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #42
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like both Chicago and New York pizza, but I like New York the best. Thin and crispy is terrific. My favorite is homemade and baked in the oven on a pizza stone: shitake, oyster, and button mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, fontina, and parmagiano reggiano cheeses, a little prosciutto, olive oil, garlic, and fresh basil. Note that there is no tomato sauce. It's to die for!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #43
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
God, this thread has really got me a hankering for a Pizza
(And I've been trying to cut down on Zza Consumption recently )

I'm a thin Crust Guy all the way, going with either NY or Chicago Thin crust when available,otherwise an Italian style. Never really cared for thick crusts.

Toppings wise it really depends on the time and place.

If it's from a place with decent thin crust, then the classic plain cheese is great.

Otherwise Olives, Jalapenos, corn, mushrooms, peppers, go on in different combination, depending on the mood and place.

Still, I've recently fallen in love with a couple of other combination such as Spinach and Ricotta, or baby Plum Tomatoes, Rocca, Goat's Cheese & basil.

Best Pizza I ever had? its a thought one, as most of my consumption has been Chain pizza and Takeouts (Collage Survival tool) so tat does not usually score that high on the scale.

The most memorable one is probably from when I was 6 or 7 and we had gone to a new Italian restaurant in town (In fact the first Italian restaurant in town) and waited nearly 3 hours for our Pizzas to arrive, and boy was that a disappointment.

They had apparently run out of cheese, olives, tomatoes, etc so what we ended up getting was something compleatly unrecognisable as pizza, basicly a base with broccoli. spinach and peppers on it
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think it is called pepperoni.
Aha, chili pepper was the more common term maybe. From wikipedia:
Quote:
Chile pepper (also spelled Chili pepper, Chilli pepper; often shortened to chile, sometimes called Pepperoni) is the fruit of a series of plants called Capsicum (nightshade family).
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #45
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I live in Chicago and some of my favorite places to get deep dish are:

Gino's East
Lou Malnati's
Giordano's
Rosati's
Nancy's Pizza

Nancy's is a restaurant with a few locations.

** Side note...I was on a cruise a few years ago and met the daughter of the Nancy's owner. She lives about 20 minutes from me.

Last edited by grooks; 05-08-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot one
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote