Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
ZakOyten
ZakOyten began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where to buy in San Francisco

Hi,

as the PRS-505 in the US is cheaper than in Germany I want to purchase one during my stay in San Francisco. I am not sure if shipping from an internet shop to the hotel is possible or will be on time.
Where can I buy the PRS-505 in a store? Are the devices available?
I haven't seen them at Barnes & Nobles or other dealers yet.

Thx.
ZakOyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Zakoyten.

I believe the Target stores have them. Also, if someone you know has a CostCo membership, I believe they have them.

Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Stores that carry them are:

Borders Books & Music
SonyStyle Stores
Target

They will all be priced for $299 US. Sony stores should have all colors available. Target stores probably only have Silver. Borders may have Silver and Blue, not sure about Red.

If you are looking for a particular color I would get a phone book and call places near your hotel to check stock/color availability.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't forget that you will have to pay VAT on it when you go home!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't forget that you will have to pay VAT on it when you go home!
You mean "your supposed to pay VAT on it"? If you take it out of the box and carry it on... how do they know you didn't leave with it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I know there are quite a few Fry's stores in the Bay Area--if you can make it to one of those, I believe they are selling the 505's for either $259 or $269 (plus sales tax).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I think the SonyStyle store at the Metreon in SF is still open and they should have the 505. It is where I bought mine in January.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You mean "your supposed to pay VAT on it"? If you take it out of the box and carry it on... how do they know you didn't leave with it?
I do not think you have to pay VAT up to a certain amount.

How this worked a long time ago was that if you went to a country were many people bough a camera you should get a paper when going there stating that you brought your own camera. Otherwise you could have trouble when returning.

EDIT: I think I was mistaken. You do not have to pay custom if the price is less then maybe 200 euro but you always pay VAT when you bring things to EU.

Last edited by tompe; 03-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakOyten View Post
Hi,

as the PRS-505 in the US is cheaper than in Germany I want to purchase one during my stay in San Francisco. I am not sure if shipping from an internet shop to the hotel is possible or will be on time.
Where can I buy the PRS-505 in a store? Are the devices available?
I haven't seen them at Barnes & Nobles or other dealers yet.

Thx.
Borders bookstores have the PRS-505 and PRS-700. There is a Borders bookstore in Union Square in San Francisco. There might be other Borders in SF, but that's the only one I know.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I think the SonyStyle store at the Metreon in SF is still open and they should have the 505. It is where I bought mine in January.
Ah, even better than the Borders bookstore I just mentioned. Yes, if the Sony Store at the Metreon is still there then go there. Metreon is in downtown SF.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #11
ZakOyten
ZakOyten began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your help.
I'll try to buy it in one of these stores.
ZakOyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Stores that carry them are:

Borders Books & Music
SonyStyle Stores
Target

They will all be priced for $299 US. Sony stores should have all colors available. Target stores probably only have Silver. Borders may have Silver and Blue, not sure about Red.

If you are looking for a particular color I would get a phone book and call places near your hotel to check stock/color availability.
The Sony Style store in San Francisco is closing and they didn't have any the last time I went in. Target only has the silver, saw it yesterday.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There's also a Borders at 4th Street and King Street, near the CalTrain station, that carries them in silver and blue.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote