Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Kindle 2 Ordering Link Up on Amazon

They have the Kindle 2 page active and available for order with a February 24th release date.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This page links to the PDF Kindle2 User's Guide.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
And still no world wide availability... I wonder why...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I just scanned quickly thru the user guide.

There's 2GB storage (1.4 available) but no memory card slot.

No folders, but there does appear to be a way to add notations to a book title, so perhaps that will solve the problem of being able to add the sequence number to books in a series.

The unit charges via a mini USB port, but it does seem to have a plug-in charger. The port is still on the bottom, which is a shame since those of us who sometimes read with it plugged into the charger know full well how much of a PITA that can be. No biggie though.

It looks nice, really. I could wish for more storage, given that it does not use memory card. It'd be nice if there were a way to migrate content back and forth to a flash drive without needing a computer, but hey, that's just me...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I just scanned quickly thru the user guide.

There's 2GB storage (1.4 available) but no memory card slot.

No folders, but there does appear to be a way to add notations to a book title, so perhaps that will solve the problem of being able to add the sequence number to books in a series.

The unit charges via a mini USB port, but it does seem to have a plug-in charger. The port is still on the bottom, which is a shame since those of us who sometimes read with it plugged into the charger know full well how much of a PITA that can be. No biggie though.

It looks nice, really. I could wish for more storage, given that it does not use memory card. It'd be nice if there were a way to migrate content back and forth to a flash drive without needing a computer, but hey, that's just me...

Dumb Dumb Dumb!!! First they limit you on the amount of books you can download, then they leave out the most requested feature!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which page of the User's Guide is the "add notations to a book title" on?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Looks like no replaceable battery, unless I missed something.

Quote:
And still no world wide availability... I wonder why...
Simple. They are selling all they can in the US and probably will not want to deal with overseas until that is no longer the case. If I were them, that is what I would do. Easier to support and advertise and ship.

Hah! I was right. I ordered one for the wife last week and it will be shipped as a K2.

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-09-2009 at 11:00 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Well, I was looking at page 43, chapter 3.5. You can add annotations to each book, and they are saved in something called 'my clippings'. I would think (hope) there would be a way to use this to label the books in a series. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time (heh)...I will have to try it out to see exactly how it works.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Dumb Dumb Dumb!!! First they limit you on the amount of books you can download, then they leave out the most requested feature!
The lack of expandable memory was a bad idea. I know Apple doesn't do it, but people are used to their iPods being that way. Not so with an ereader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Well, I was looking at page 43, chapter 3.5. You can add annotations to each book, and they are saved in something called 'my clippings'. I would think (hope) there would be a way to use this to label the books in a series.
This is also available on the K1. It does not change the title, but you might be able to search the clippings to find a series and its order.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
The 2 holes on the side are a special locking mechanism for the Kindle cover, like the holes for the Sony. It's about time amazon made a better cover! You have to order the cover seprately for an extra $29.99!

Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The lack of expandable memory was a bad idea. I know Apple doesn't do it, but people are used to their iPods being that way. Not so with an ereader.

The battery says 'rechargeable'.........NOT replaceable.

So .........what do they do when the batteries go? Just toss? ARRRGGGHHH..........

Oh Amazon, I am so disappointed in you. No international availablility. No folders.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
mdibella
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is also available on the K1. It does not change the title, but you might be able to search the clippings to find a series and its order.

Yeah, I didn't say it looked easy. WHy on earth they did not add such a needed feature is beyond me.

One nice thing is, though, it you turn on whispernet, hovering over a title on your list of books says it will display the Book's 'blurb page' out of the Kindle store. Now if they'd just add series sequence there, that could be useful!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The 2 holes on the side are a special locking mechanism for the Kindle cover, like the holes for the Sony. It's about time amazon made a better cover! You have to order the cover seprately for an extra $29.99!

That is also lame. It should come with a cover IMHO, especially if their first one came with one.

This is just not that exciting. I figured amazon could do better than this.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That is also lame. It should come with a cover IMHO, especially if their first one came with one.

This is just not that exciting. I figured amazon could do better than this.
They could have. They really could have.

They chose not to.