Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Euripides: The Trojan Women. v1, 7 Apr 2017

Euripides was born in Athens about 480 BC, and lived there until moving to Macedon late in life where he died in 406 BC. He is said to have been a schoolfellow of Socrates, and was the third of the great Athenian tragedians.

Aristophanes ridiculed him and he won few prizes at drama festivals, perhaps because he questioned religious beliefs, but he was revered by Roman and Renaissance writers.

The Trojan Women was first performed in 415 BC, and covers the few hours after the sack of Troy by the Greeks. There is very little plot or action; the murder of Hekabe's infant grandson takes place offstage. Neither is there much character development apart from the Greek herald Talthybius developing enough sympathy for the Trojan Women to regret that he is party to their suffering. The play is instead a harrowing account of the suffering experienced by civilians in war, and the inability or unwillingness of the gods to protect them.

The source text is a prose translation provided by George Theodoridis of Melbourne University. He retains the copyright, has given me permission to use the translation and stage directions in his text, and has reviewed the ebook.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Trojan Women - Euripides.mobi (180.0 KB, 355 views)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
I just received a Kindle Voyage for my birthday, so I'll be downloading your Mobi versions, too. Thanks, again.
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I'd appreciate your comments on how it looks on a Kindle. I was able to prevent role names appearing on the last line of a 'page' in the ePub version, but I don't think the formatting works as well in a Kindle.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #4
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
Alex,
Unfortunately, the mobi version does allow speaker names to appear on the last line of a page, but I didn't really find it distracting. The pages turns are quick enough that you don't forget who's speaking. And I find the translation quite good, so please give my thanks to Mr. Theodoridis for allowing us free use of his work.
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, I will pass on your comments.
Advert