Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
tetleys
tetleys began at the beginning.

Device: none
hello to you all! HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

Hello to you all,

i am a new member but to be really honest i am not 100% sure that i am in the right place.....................and would be extremely grateful if somebody could give me some good advise and point me in the right direction please!!!

I am a gas boiler engineer and my job involves repairing and servicing boilers and requires me on a fairly regular basis to read or search through manufacturers instructions when i come across a problem i can not resolve myself.
at present i do this by reading some of the manufactures instruction files in paper form, and the majority i have on my pc at home in pdf file format- which wasnt at all ideal because i need the information at customers properties whilst i am working on their boiler! so in an attempt to resolve this problem i bought a brand new laptop and used this instead.
unfortunately, although the laptop is excellent and displays the pdf files perfectly, i am reluctant to use it for this as really all i need to do is read pdf files and i am a little concerned that i may get the laptop stolen or broken, also it still a little on the large size and takes a little bit too much time in booting up so.............what i could do with is a very cheap small- ish device ie approx A5 size, that will read pdf files, with the facility to be able to zoom or shrink the page viewed, and something that can possibly take memory cards? and be powered by normal batteries, ie so that i didnt have to keep it charged up all the time? i do not need it to speak or perform anything fancy other than for me to read normal text/ illustrations in a pdf format.
IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO COULD RECOMMEND SUCH A CHEAP DEVICE /ALTERNATIVE I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL.
THANKS
tetleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, first, what do you define as "cheap"??

Secondly, I can't think of anything (at all) that is going to use "normal" batteries and also read pdf. I'm not sure that there is such a thing.

The HP TC1000 is a wonderful tablet computer, and can be found on eBay for in the neighborhood of $250. Extra batteries run about $60. That will read PDF beautifully, and at that price you don't have to worry so much about theft.

I've had one for years, and I still love it. Even packing the power cord, it's still pretty light weight, and smaller than your average laptop.

It runs XP, and the battery life was about two hours.

It's a suggestion anyway.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetleys View Post
IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO COULD RECOMMEND SUCH A CHEAP DEVICE /ALTERNATIVE I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL.
THANKS
You could look into one of the low priced laptops. Such as the Asus Eee PC, the MSI Wind, etc... there are lots of them. The price for these is about the same or less as perhaps an iRex iliad which is probably you best book reader possible choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
tetleys

Quote:
Hello to you all,

i am a new member but to be really honest i am not 100% sure that i am in the right place.....................and would be extremely grateful if somebody could give me some good advise and point me in the right direction please!!!

I am a gas boiler engineer and my job involves repairing and servicing boilers and requires me on a fairly regular basis to read or search through manufacturers instructions when i come across a problem i can not resolve myself.
at present i do this by reading some of the manufactures instruction files in paper form, and the majority i have on my pc at home in pdf file format- which wasnt at all ideal because i need the information at customers properties whilst i am working on their boiler! so in an attempt to resolve this problem i bought a brand new laptop and used this instead.
unfortunately, although the laptop is excellent and displays the pdf files perfectly, i am reluctant to use it for this as really all i need to do is read pdf files and i am a little concerned that i may get the laptop stolen or broken, also it still a little on the large size and takes a little bit too much time in booting up so.............what i could do with is a very cheap small- ish device ie approx A5 size, that will read pdf files, with the facility to be able to zoom or shrink the page viewed, and something that can possibly take memory cards? and be powered by normal batteries, ie so that i didnt have to keep it charged up all the time? i do not need it to speak or perform anything fancy other than for me to read normal text/ illustrations in a pdf format.
THANKS
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
tetleys

Quote:
thank you for your suggestions so far.
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tetleys and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
You can convert PDF files to images that can be read on the eBookWise 1150 (available from Fictionwise), it's small (a bit smaller than A5), cheap (about $120) and back-lit (good for boiler rooms, I would think) but I think the advice about the cheap tablets would be better. Then you can search the PDF files if they are text. Maybe get one that lets you put in more than one battery at a time?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, tetleys. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
tetleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
Greetings, tetleys. Enjoy the forum!
thank you all!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if you get a 2 gig eee and use sd cards for your content, it will cost around half of the irex.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote