Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #91
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hardship: no
Confusing to a new user: Maybe

We know where these tidbits are to be found.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hardship: no
Confusing to a new user: Maybe

We know where these tidbits are to be found.
How many new users do you really think are going to be installing calibre simply to be able to use a third-party extension that allows them to more efficiently diddle the internal markup of an ebook with calibre's ebook editor? And then how many of that number are going to struggle mightily to figure it out?

I understand "I'm just thinking of the children," but let's face it. Editor plugins are rarely going to be the first order of business for calibre noobs. And in the event that they are ... those particular noobs aren't likely to be the helpless kind.

There's also something to be said for; "You want to install a plugin? No problem. You go here to do that." Rather than confusing a noob (and derailing the entire "help" process) by requiring them to actually know what kind of plugin it is they're wanting to install.

"Plugin?? Go here."

After that, it's up to the developer to make it easier by supplying help links and shortcuts to the plugin's configuration dialogs from the areas where the plugin is actually being used.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #93
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How many new users do you really think are going to be installing calibre simply to be able to use a third-party extension that allows them to more efficiently diddle the internal markup of an ebook with calibre's ebook editor? And then how many of that number are going to struggle mightily to figure it out?
Actually, that's the main reason I installed calibre. I prefer my own organization scheme, so I don't use its library features at all - except to convert MOBI to EPUB (and, in rare cases, EPUB to MOBI and AZW3). Most of the time, I use it through the command line (through a regedit patch to put common commands on my context menu) or use the editor directly.

So, there's ONE...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #94
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Actually, that's the main reason I installed calibre. I prefer my own organization scheme, so I don't use its library features at all - except to convert MOBI to EPUB (and, in rare cases, EPUB to MOBI and AZW3). Most of the time, I use it through the command line (through a regedit patch to put common commands on my context menu) or use the editor directly.

So, there's ONE...
One of whom I'm going to place squarely in the "not going to have to struggle too mightily figuring it out" camp, if no one objects. Besides, you can still avoid the main gui entirely if you like by installing any and all plugins via the already-familiar command-line interface!

I understand wanting a complete separation of the various elements (viewer, editor, library/converter). But since we know that's not going to happen, I just don't see a centralized plugin framework as much of a stumbling block to the people who learn enough to make use of plugins. *shrugs*
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #95
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I too prefer an only entry point for installing plugins. I think it's less confusing.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #96
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
One of whom I'm going to place squarely in the "not going to have to struggle too mightily figuring it out" camp, if no one objects.
I'm cool with that. You don't happen to know the CLI for "convert this file to format X" offhand, do ya? I think that's the only bit I still need to be able to do all my Calibre stuff by right-clicking files.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #97
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I'm cool with that. You don't happen to know the CLI for "convert this file to format X" offhand, do ya? I think that's the only bit I still need to be able to do all my Calibre stuff by right-clicking files.
Code:
ebook-convert inputfile .ext
is quick and dirty (though there are scads of options you can add after).

Meaning that:
Code:
ebook-convert mybook.epub .azw3
Will convert mybook.epub to mybook.azw3.

You can, of course specify, an entirely new-name/path for the ouput file (the output being determined by the extension used).
Old 08-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #98
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-convert.html
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #99
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Thanks, guys. Seriously; I wasn't quite lucid enough to find those myself, so that helps. Screenshot snapped for later.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #100
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I too prefer an only entry point for installing plugins. I think it's less confusing.
- if the ebook-editor had its own install plugins option, then it follows that the ebook-viewer would need one too, as would any future GUI based executables Kovid happens to create - eg ebook-writer.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote