Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
jfrey
jfrey began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Kindle, Sony PRS-500
Can't Connect via USB after Dev Access Shell Install

I have had an iLiad for over a year, but I am a developer newbie. I just downloaded the Dev Access Shell, which seemed to install fine.

I then ran the ftreader installer, which installed fine but had instructions to run it from the Programs. I am not sure what that means, so I tried connecting the iLiad to my Mac via USB and it won't connect anymore.

What do I do next? Do I need to connect via a shell account? If so how?

As I said, I am a noob developer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jfrey@seattle.wa

Last edited by jfrey; 02-19-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Update
jfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
jfrey

It is connecting via USB now. I rebooted a few more times. I also removed the ethernet connection from the dock. Could that have been the problem?!

Now I just need to get ftreader working.
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think this probably worked, particularly if the contentlister text for the installation directory has changed - indicating success. This directory can now be deleted from the CF card.

If you look on your CF card (e.g. connect it to a Mac/PC via USB) there is probably now _local and Programs directories. The Programs directory should contain FBReader and _local should have lots of stuff in it. This includes _local/home/.FBReader, which contains the "dot" files for FBReader (which you should not need to modify in normal use).

If you add more 3rd party packages, they typically start off in Programs - which is a convenient place to look for them.

I like the old version of FBReader (0.8.4), which can be invoked by selecting CF/Programs/FBReader from the contentlister. The new version (0.8.14) can only be invoked by opening an e-book of a supported type via the contentlister. So it may be working without you knowing it.

Note that there should be an uninstal option available in CF: Programs/Uninstall/FBReader. Since you have not started using FBReader it should be ok to uninstall one version and install the other (if you want).

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It just occurred to me that you may have installed this in "internal memory". It is safest to install it on a CF card. I'm pretty sure 0.8.4 does not work at all from internal memory, but 0.8.14 is supposed to work from there.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
jfrey

Thanks for the info. I installed "fbreader_0.8.4-iliad.0.2_arm.ipk" to internal memory.

I have been able to run the program, but I have not been able to get it to recognize an epub file I have. I will continue to work on this today.
Advert