Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
The Kindle Touch's root (where all the amazon pre-installed stuff is) is mounted read-only (unless you changed that [which you shouldn't unless you know what you are doing]).

By default programs can only write to /mnt/us (this part gets exported over USB), /tmp and IIRC /var/local (there's also stuff by amazon in there but I think it's only preferences and stuff?).
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
just tried the candy.
it crashed several times (while performing fonts setup in the menu), but apart from that it works and it is cool!!! thanks! I am impressed. Keep up the good work!

A few notes:
1) the menu looks messy because its font size is too big. Are you aware of that or it is just only me who faced this issue? I attached a screenshot.
2) I wasn't able to find a way to "close" the app. is there any way?
3) It seems the app's settings (font settings, enable/disable clock, etc) get discarded on the next app's run. is it a bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.gif
Views:	625
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	83563  
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #18
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
just tried the candy.
it crashed several times (while performing fonts setup in the menu), but apart from that it works and it is cool!!! thanks! I am impressed. Keep up the good work!
Quote:
1) the menu looks messy because its font size is too big. Are you aware of that or it is just only me who faced this issue? I attached a screenshot.
As I said in the inital post, some fonts make it crash (e.g. DejaVu Sans).

I was really puzzled about this and also the program displaying different fonts with different heights even though the same height was set.

After installing a self built version of the FreeType2 library (that is used on the Touch for handling fonts) all the problems just vanished.

It seems Amazon either installed a broken FreeType2 library on the Touch (but didn't notice it as their code doesn't really use the full functionality of freetype) or they installed a stripped down customized version of it that's not as thoroughly tested as the full build.

I'm not yet sure how to fix that for the next release.

Quote:
2) I wasn't able to find a way to "close" the app. is there any way?
Not yet, that's one of the other reasons why there's no GUI launcher integration yet.

You have to kill -QUIT it from the command line. Or let it crash although since I've added the new freetype2 library it didn't crash for me anymore.

Quote:
3) It seems the app's settings (font settings, enable/disable clock, etc) get discarded on the next app's run. is it a bug?
The global settings should be saved as soon as you leave the settings menu and return to the text. But note that different format (epub, fb2, ...) have their own settings.

I think the settings for individual e-books aren't saved. That may be due to the missing of a proper way of quitting the application. But I haven't looked into that yet.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #19
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Just a thought: why not try to integrate it "properly" via the application registry?
Wouldn't this need Java Glue code? From what I remember when looking at the appreg.db it seemed like this would only be used by the Java framework.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Wouldn't this need Java Glue code? From what I remember when looking at the appreg.db it seemed like this would only be used by the Java framework.
I don't think so (but I haven't tried it). For instance, there is the com.lab126.draw app (or the web browser, for that matter), which are WAF applications launched by a command line (/usr/bin/wafapp ...)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
As I said in the inital post, some fonts make it crash (e.g. DejaVu Sans).

I was really puzzled about this and also the program displaying different fonts with different heights even though the same height was set.

After installing a self built version of the FreeType2 library (that is used on the Touch for handling fonts) all the problems just vanished.

It seems Amazon either installed a broken FreeType2 library on the Touch (but didn't notice it as their code doesn't really use the full functionality of freetype) or they installed a stripped down customized version of it that's not as thoroughly tested as the full build.

I'm not yet sure how to fix that for the next release.
This seems to be the same problem I'm having with the font hack (or at least a very similar one, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28#post1988528 and the subsequent 5 or so posts). Could you elaborate a bit more on how you built that library, and which files you replaced in the end to make it work?

Maybe we could come up with a custom solution (say, a hack which overrides the freetype libs). I'm not sure wrt to binary compatibility between different KT firmwares, but I'd be willing to test it... That's why I'm asking you for some help

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Good day.
I wanted to cross-compile your app for kindle but had no luck.
Could you help me?
here's what I tried so far:
Quote:
varnie@heimdal:~/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958$ cmake -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/mnt/us/cr3xcb -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DGUI=CRGUI_XCB -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/tools/toolchain-arm-linux-gnueabi.cmake
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
Using GUI frontend CRGUI_XCB
using USE_EXTERNAL_EDICT_DICTIONARY=0
-D DOC_DATA_COMPRESSION_LEVEL=0|1|2|3|4|5 parameter is not defined: will use default value
using TEXT_COMPRESSION_LEVEL=1
-D DOC_BUFFER_SIZE=N parameter is not defined: will use default value
using DOC_BUFFER_SIZE=0x400000
using MAX_IMAGE_SCALE_MUL=0
CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
A logical block opening on the line

/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeLists.txt:113 (if)

closes on the line

/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeLists.txt:127 (endif)

with mis-matching arguments.
This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

NO_UNRAR parameter specified: Will not support UNRAR
-- Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR)
System LIBPNG not found, will build local one
-- Could NOT find JPEG (missing: JPEG_LIBRARY JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR)
System LIBJPEG not found, will build local one
-- Could NOT find Freetype (missing: FREETYPE_LIBRARY FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS)
System FREETYPE not found, will build local one
Will build patched LIBCHM library
Will build patched ANTIWORD library
Will make tinydict library - .dict format support
Will make CR3GUI for XCB
Freetype include dir: /home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/thirdparty/freetype/include
Device type is not specified! It's necessary to know device type in order to choose proper keyboard layout, etc...
Using all as default
Add cmake parameter -D DEVICE_NAME={v3|v5|n516|v3a|kindle_touch} to use another device settings
CMake Warning (dev) at cr3gui/CMakeLists.txt:20 (INCLUDE):
Policy CMP0011 is not set: Included scripts do automatic cmake_policy PUSH
and POP. Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0011" for policy details. Use the
cmake_policy command to set the policy and suppress this warning.

The included script

/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/tools/KWWidgetsInternationalizationMacros.cmake

affects policy settings. CMake is implying the NO_POLICY_SCOPE option for
compatibility, so the effects are applied to the including context.
This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

Languages: ru;uk;de;fr;bg;es;ca;pl;lt;zh_CN;zh_TW
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:70 (MESSAGE):
Could NOT find Fontconfig (missing: FONTCONFIG_LIBRARIES
FONTCONFIG_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/FindFontconfig.cmake:48 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
cr3gui/CMakeLists.txt:74 (FIND_PACKAGE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
According to the compile instructions I made the following changes in tools/toolchain-arm-linux-gnueabi.cmake:
Quote:
# CMake toolchain file for building ARM software on OI environment

# this one is important
SET(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Linux)
#this one not so much
SET(CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 1)

# specify the cross compiler
SET(CMAKE_C_COMPILER /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc)
SET(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-g++)
SET(CMAKE_STRIP /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-strip)

# where is the target environment
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730)

# search for programs in the build host directories
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_PROGRAM NEVER)
# for libraries and headers in the target directories
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_LIBRARY ONLY)
SET(CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_INCLUDE ONLY)
why Cmake couldn't find the CXX compiler?

One more question:
what is that PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR directory?
There should be 'lib/pkgconfig' within it but I don't see any.

updated
ps: I installed missed build-essential package under Ubuntu and now I have another Ips: I figured out that one more package was missed. It was "libfontconfig1-dev". so I installed it as well.
here's the latest errors:
Quote:
Linking CXX executable cr3
[ 86%] Built target cr3
[ 86%] Generating po/cr3.pot.upd
[ 86%] Generating po/cr3_ru.po.upd
[ 86%] Generating ../i18n/ru/LC_MESSAGES/cr3.mo
[ 86%] Generating po/cr3_uk.po.upd
[ 86%] Generating ../i18n/uk/LC_MESSAGES/cr3.mo
[ 86%] Generating po/cr3_de.po.upd
[ 86%] Generating ../i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/cr3.mo
[ 86%] Generating po/cr3_fr.po.upd
Updating /home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po
[ 86%] Generating ../i18n/fr/LC_MESSAGES/cr3.mo
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:1:2: syntax error
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:1: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:2: keyword "Message" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po: warning: Charset "CHARSET" is not a portable encoding name.
Message conversion to user's charset might not work.
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:22: missing `msgstr' section
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:23:2: syntax error
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:23: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:24: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:25: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:26: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:30: missing `msgstr' section
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:31:2: syntax error
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:31: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:32: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:33: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:34: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:38: missing `msgstr' section
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:39:2: syntax error
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:39: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:40: keyword "home" unknown
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/cr3gui/po/cr3_fr.po:41: keyword "home" unknown
/usr/bin/msgfmt: too many errors, aborting
make[2]: *** [i18n/fr/LC_MESSAGES/cr3.mo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [cr3gui/CMakeFiles/cr3_mo.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
After I stripped down completely that cr3_fr.po stuff I successfully compiled cr3.
BUT the problem is that I cannot compile it with arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi compilers (I downloaded the toolchain from https://github.com/samsheff/Amazon-K...ross-Toolchain by the way

).
Here is the output:
Quote:
varnie@heimdal:~/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958$ cmake -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=build -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DGUI=CRGUI_XCB -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/tools/toolchain-arm-linux-gnueabi.cmake
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- Check for working C compiler: /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc -- broken
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):
The C compiler
"/home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc"
is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: /home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:/usr/bin/make "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles

Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.o

/home/varnie/thrash/samsheff-Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain-e13b730/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -c
/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c

arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi-gcc: fatal error: -fuse-linker-plugin, but
liblto_plugin.so not found

compilation terminated.

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.o] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/varnie/thrash/hackedUpReader/bhaak-HackedUpReader-111c958/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:1 (PROJECT)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
where from did you get your working Amazon-Kindle-Cross-Toolchain? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by varnie; 03-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
varnie
Connoisseur

I changed the toolchain, successfully built the app, but I get
Quote:
line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")
when execute it directly from kindle.
does it mean that the toolchain was incorrect?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This seems to be the same problem I'm having with the font hack (or at least a very similar one, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28#post1988528 and the subsequent 5 or so posts). Could you elaborate a bit more on how you built that library, and which files you replaced in the end to make it work?
It's actually quite easy. I didn't replace any files, I just added the library and changed a symlink.

Download the current version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/free...eetype2/2.4.8/

Compile it with the following lines, adjust the host to fit your kindle gcc:
Code:
./configure --prefix /tmp/freetype --host=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi
make install
Make your kindle root writable and then copy the library over and change the symlink:
Code:
scp /tmp/freetype/lib/libfreetype.so.6.8.0 root@kindle:/usr/lib/
cd /usr/lib; rm libfreetype.so.6; ln -s libfreetype.so.6.8.0 libfreetype.so.6
Afterwards it should look like this:

Code:
[root@kindle lib]# ls -l libfreetype.so*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        21 Nov  3 20:03 libfreetype.so -> libfreetype.so.6.3.20
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        20 Mar  8 19:04 libfreetype.so.6 -> libfreetype.so.6.8.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root    716900 Nov  3 20:05 libfreetype.so.6.3.20
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root   2075463 Mar  2 10:07 libfreetype.so.6.8.0
[root@kindle lib]#
I only replaced the symlink for libfreetype.so.6 just to be on the safe side but libfreetype.so.6.3.20 which is freetype 2.3.9 and freetype 2.4.8 should be API compatible, so it shouldn't really be a problem to replace it completely.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
varnie
Connoisseur

I managed to compile it for Kindle Touch (it runs well from the device) but the "menu" is absent. (i.e. it is impossible to invoke it from the application).
And it is impossible to turn pages as well.

The compiled executable file is about 2.7MB instead of '3.3MB' (which comes from your github page).

Any ideas where's my fault?

Last edited by varnie; 03-10-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #26
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
I managed to compile it for Kindle Touch (it runs well from the device) but the "menu" is absent. (i.e. it is impossible to invoke it from the application).
And it is impossible to turn pages as well.
Touching on the screen does nothing?

Quote:
The compiled executable file is about 2.7MB instead of '3.3MB' (which comes from your github page).
That can be due to different CFLAGS. I think my build still has debugging info builtin.

Last edited by bhaak; 03-10-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: fix formatting
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
varnie
Connoisseur

wait!! it works!!! just tried it again.

BTW, I used /usr/lib/* libraries from Kindle Touch for compiling. I don't see any issues with fonts I had before. Everything looks well.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
bhaak
Groupie

Great to hear.

I just pushed some small changes to the github repository. Most important the configuration change that will show a "close book" entry in the menu.

Sometime later today I'll also push out the GUI launcher extension (unfortunately, it needs some root fs manipulation, otherwise it can't reliably start HackedUpReader from the GUI launcher menu). So stay tuned.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
ixtab
(offline)

@varnie: Would you mind attaching your libfreetype.so here? I'd like to test it with font hack, but for the moment I gave up on installing the cross-compiling stuff
Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
varnie
Connoisseur

here it is (rename it to libfreetype.so.6.8.1).
but as for me CoolReader3 works well with the default libfreetype library on Kindle Touch (5.0.4), after reset to the factory settings.
And I am out of ideas what caused that bug.
Attached Files
File Type: avi libfreetype.avi (2.09 MB, 367 views)

Last edited by varnie; 03-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons