Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
jeffneedle
jeffneedle began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Strange behavior converting pdf to epub

I'm working on a Linux platform (Ubuntu 10.04) and Calibre 0.6.42.

Hello. I've downloaded two publications in pdf format and I'm trying to convert them to epub format for use on my Nook Color. The oddest behavior -- when a word has two "l"s, like "well" and "fellow", the second "l" is dropped and a blank space appears. This is so odd. Interestingly, when the source text is in italics, this doesn't happen. But when it's just plain text, the second "l" is consistently dropped.

Has anyone else observed this? Is there a fix for this? Thanks.
jeffneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Strange behavior converting pdf to epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffneedle View Post
I'm working on a Linux platform (Ubuntu 10.04) and Calibre 0.6.42.

Hello. I've downloaded two publications in pdf format and I'm trying to convert them to epub format for use on my Nook Color. The oddest behavior -- when a word has two "l"s, like "well" and "fellow", the second "l" is dropped and a blank space appears. This is so odd. Interestingly, when the source text is in italics, this doesn't happen. But when it's just plain text, the second "l" is consistently dropped.

Has anyone else observed this? Is there a fix for this? Thanks.
Try this.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You best and less hair tearing solution is to forget converting the ePub but read them as is on your nook Color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
jeffneedle

Thanks to both of you. My response:

1. As a Linux user, it doesn't appear that pdfConverter is available for my OS. One of the few drawbacks to abandoning Windows.

2. As far as reading pdf's on the Nook Color directly, it works okay, but oddly, there's just no way to set a bookmark! And when I reopen the book, it returns me to the first page of the book rather than where I left off, as it does with ebpubs. It's a real drawback, and inexplicable.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
One thing you can try is using Search & Replace during the conversion in calibre. Use the wizard to select an instance of those two ll's, then type in ll in the replace field.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
jeffneedle

I suppose. Sounds like so much trouble. I guess I hope they'll fix this someday.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I suppose. Sounds like so much trouble. I guess I hope they'll fix this someday.
It is not broken!
This is an consistency artifact of Adobe and fonts.

You can only convert consistent character sets.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
jeffneedle

Ah, so it is. Thanks so much. I can live with the problem. Thanks to all.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Strange behavior converting pdf to epub

Quote:
....As a Linux user, it doesn't appear that pdfConverter is available for my OS. One of the few drawbacks to abandoning Windows.
I've not actively used Linux since I worked for MandrakeSoft 10 or so years ago so haven't tested this. But before you give up take a look here.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
jeffneedle

A good lead -- thanks!