Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Removing text from an ebook

I am trying to convert a document to either MOBI or EPUB format (it doesn't matter which).

I tried to remove a string of text that appears at the bottom of each page in this PDF document. However, I'm not good at understanding the "regular expressions" that Calibre uses to perform this task.

Normally, I wouldn't bother with the text. When read as a PDF it's fine. But PDFs are difficult if not impossible to read easily on a Kindle. But because the way pages are sized/paginated, the "footer" often appears in the middle of the page, which can be distracting.

So, if someone can help me here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Start by reading the tutorials.

Search & Replace:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118570

Regular Expressions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118569

Then ask specific questions where the tutorials haven't helped, with example text snippets from your ebook.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Thanks Idolse. However, despite following these posts' instructions Calibre isn't detecting or removing the offending text from the document.

I copied and pasted the text from the original PDF into the field after clicking on the "wizard wand". Then I clicked on "test". It's supposed to then highlight it. In one case it shows 1 occurance, other times, zero occurances. I convert the book anyway, then preview the new copy. The text is still there.

Obviously I'm either doing something wrong or Calibre is. I don't know which.

And here is the text that I want to delete:

"Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html"
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If you click on the spoilers in the Search and Replace tutorial I linked above there is an example for exactly your request. Note that ABC intentionally generates headers that are extremely difficult to remove - frankly it's likely that you're better off finding a better source like the original Lit file or just purchasing the book.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote