Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
PDF in nook color

I sent an email to B&N tech support asking what kind of support the new nook color will provide for PDF files. Particularly, I asked about having zoom, landscape mode, annotation, search, etc. I just got an answer:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our nook.

As of right now the information we have available is at
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookco...?cds2Pid=35607

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.
So, what? they don't know?
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
So, what? they don't know?
Talk about a runaround.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Talk about a runaround.
I don't know why. I mean, I'd be closer to buy one if they assure me it has a decent support for PDF. Zoom and landscape mode at least.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Id call, and if the cs doesn't know ask to be transfer to higher up level tech support. they know,
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
robashroy
robashroy began at the beginning.

Device: Color
Nook color doesn't support PDF

I've got one and it doesn't.
robashroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
robashroy, I think you are wrong.

I tried out a Nook Color at a store about a week ago and was surprised at how well it did handle PDFs. The girl there actually had a Harry Potter scanned book on it and it loaded and moved fine. You can zoom, read in landscape, and fit to width. I was really impressed.

The only problem I had with it was that the screen ratio is not great for landscape reading. It is tall and thin, so when you flip over to the landscape mode you don't get very many lines on the screen and have to scroll down constantly.

I got a call from them yesterday that I came up on the waiting list. I'm taking a pass for now, hoping a 9 or 10 inch device comes down the pike soon. But I was really impressed with the machine's PDF capabilities. Really loaded fast and no lag moving around.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I have one as well, and it seems to handle PDFs quite well, using its hamstrung version of QuickOffice--pinch-to-zoom, go to page, portrait or landscape. You can even download PDFs via the Web browser. They get dropped into the file system under My Downloads. Granted I haven't tried protected PDFs or anything, but my own interest is more in using PDFs I generate myself.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can someone confirm if there is search functionality with PDF files? I heard one of the reviews on youtube say that there is not.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
lprynne
lprynne began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
Can someone confirm if there is search functionality with PDF files? I heard one of the reviews on youtube say that there is not.
PDF support is provided by a limited version of Quickoffice. There is (currently) no search capability within PDFs.

The Nook Color handles PDFs very well (landscape mode with pinch to zoom is pretty incredible). I have tons of technical books in PDF and the PDF support is one of the major reasons why I went with the Nook Color. The only major downside with the current PDF support is that the application does not keep state. If you exit out of the PDF viewer in any manner - even something as trivial as hitting the Nook home button - when you reopen the PDF, the application reopens the PDF at the first page. There is no way to bookmark a page, so this gets to be a pain in the ass. Hopefully this is fixed in an update or alternate PDF viewers become available (which would most likely include a search function).
lprynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprynne View Post
PDF support is provided by a limited version of Quickoffice. There is (currently) no search capability within PDFs.

The Nook Color handles PDFs very well (landscape mode with pinch to zoom is pretty incredible). I have tons of technical books in PDF and the PDF support is one of the major reasons why I went with the Nook Color. The only major downside with the current PDF support is that the application does not keep state. If you exit out of the PDF viewer in any manner - even something as trivial as hitting the Nook home button - when you reopen the PDF, the application reopens the PDF at the first page. There is no way to bookmark a page, so this gets to be a pain in the ass. Hopefully this is fixed in an update or alternate PDF viewers become available (which would most likely include a search function).
I hope so, both features are pretty crucial to me. All I read these days is technical (.net developer) so I need the ability to search for a term.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprynne View Post
Interesting. This suggests that QuickOffice might be a good choice for purchase on other Android tablets, such as the PocketBook IQ. Based on its User Guide, the full version of QuickOffice does support search within PDFs. It probably has the "no state" bug though, and it does not support adding bookmarks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
I can confirm the following:
1. NookColor handles PDF well. Documents work in landscape and zoom and scroll.
2. Free library books in PDF format render very well, work with multiple font sizes although the reflow isn't perfect, and remember the last position.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Another interesting point: Titles of PDFs are included in the device's search function. Additionally, if you look at the App Settings for Search, under "Searchable Items", there is an option for searching the "Library of books, magazines, and newspapers". Right now, that option is unchecked and grayed out, so it looks like it might be added in a future update.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
kinga428
kinga428 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I'm thinking about getting a Color and my main interest is reading pdf. I know that when reading epubs, the Color offers to choose from themes, like Sepia or Night mode.. Are these options available for pdfs too?
kinga428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga428 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Color and my main interest is reading pdf. I know that when reading epubs, the Color offers to choose from themes, like Sepia or Night mode.. Are these options available for pdfs too?
Change of background colors isn't available for PDFs. The only option is to change text size.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote