Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

as for retailers, obviously they don't have to follow the suggestion of the publisher, however they are subject to competition, and i don't mind checking 2 or 3 different sites to see which is the least expensive when i buy...

you know the expression, "vote with your pocketbook"...
While they do not have to sell at list price the wholesale price is usually related so if the publisher thinks that the list price is the same as a pbook then the wholesale price is likely to be the same as the pbook also. Retailers are not free to pick any price they want and still make a profit.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
While they do not have to sell at list price the wholesale price is usually related so if the publisher thinks that the list price is the same as a pbook then the wholesale price is likely to be the same as the pbook also. Retailers are not free to pick any price they want and still make a profit.
Yes, I understand. So, if the wholesale of the Pbook and the Ebook is also the same then the retailer will likley give them the same markup and price.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
...which is why the reduction must originate with the publisher.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, i think you're partly right (they haven't figured a *lot* of stuff out) but i'm not sure i would go so far as to think they "blew me off". they did send an identical letter to at least 2 of us (and probably everyone who wrote)...
FYI, I did not get any response from my e-mail. (Didn't think it came off too harsh...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #50
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Penguin's ebook pricing

Hey, this is a price reduction for them - for at least some of their books.

Check this link:

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007...re-outrageous/

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, this is a price reduction for them - for at least some of their books.

Check this link:

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007...re-outrageous/

Also have a read over here too...

http://selenakittyn.com/Blog/?p=805
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #52
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

interesting, although discouraging, reading. thanks for the links. in order to avoid setting off yet another pointless and circular debate i will refrain from stating what those articles make me want to do...

all the more reason to protest loudly and persistently, by every means possible (including not buying over-priced ebooks...).

my stars, i love PG more every day. and my public library. hah ! take that, Penguin...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #53
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
At least they are not priced higher than the normal releases as is sometimes the case.
Sadly, in a meaningful sense, they are: if Amazon discounts the hardcover 30% or more, as it routinely does with new titles from Penguin and other major publishers, then the ebook will indeed be effectively more expensive than the printed version.

----------------
ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer

Hugo Award winner for HOMINIDS
Nebula Award winner for THE TERMINAL EXPERIMENT
John W. Campbell Memorial Award winner for MINDSCAN

http://www.sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
----------------
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

further reply from penguin

following my reply to their reply to my original email, penguin has just sent me this very laconic but nonetheless encouraging reply :

Quote:
Thank you very much for your feedback - I have forwarded your email on to the relevant parties.

Best regards
Penguin Online
i know, they don't actually say *anything*, however if they have in fact forwarded my mail to someone perhaps this someone will take note. and perhaps they have realized the error of their past ways. a girl can dream after all...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #55
zelda_pinwheel

oh by the way, i forgot to mention that this is ALL THE MORE REASON FOR Y'ALL TO WRITE TO THEM AS WELL !! seriously, what are you waiting for ? sheesh.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #56
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I feel like a gravedigger writing to this thread ...
Did anybody get more responses?
Or has anybody told Penguin about the DRM-problematic?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #57
zelda_pinwheel

i did not receive any further replies than the ones i posted... and i didn't mention DRM for the moment.

even if i had gotten more replies, i would encourage you to write as well ; the more people manifest their wishes to penguin, the more likely penguin is to begin to take us seriously.

if you do write, feel free to dig up this thread whenever you like to tell us all about it. i for one am interested.

if you look near the start of the thread there are a couple of email addresses you can try, unless you find something more suited (in which case, please post the one(s) you find).
Old 06-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #58
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Thanks for the update
I sure as hell will mail them and will of course keep you informed.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-books, penguin, publishing