Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This is why I recently bought a used PW3 from ebay. When the PW4 first came out many peeps complained about the poor contrast. I didn't need the waterproofness, so went for the PW3.

The PW2, which I've had for years, has lower resolution (212 dpi) than either the PW3 or PW4 which are both 300 dpi. This is one reason the earlier paperwhite looks a bit 'fuzzy'.

Maybe return the PW4 and buy the Libra or try to find a PW3.
One thing I have noticed is that Kobo has better dithering routines for graphics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Interesting. The PW2 looks fuzzy. The PW3 has more contrast with darker blacks and the PW4 is close to the PW3, but not as good.

So far from what I've seen, I think the PW3 has a better screen and/or light then the PW4.
Yes, among the Paperwhites, the PW3 has the best display.

I don't know if the lower contrast is due to the e-ink display itself or if it's because there's an air gap to get flush bezels on the PW4.

Still, I find manga on PW4 perfectly readable. Certainly more legible at small text sizes than the PW2.

Besides, most of my manga get "converted" to CBZ anyway and read with KOReader which, as mentioned, offers contrast adjustment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I have noticed is that Kobo has better dithering routines for graphics.
Hmm, I beg to differ.

Granted, reading manga on 7" is more comfortable than on 6". I really wish Kobo had a 32GB version of the Libra H2O. Mind, my experience with 8" devices mostly consist of tablets that are 300+g. At less than 200g, the Forma might actually be feasible.

From left to right: PW3, PW4, Libra H2O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	176885  
Old 02-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can't judge dithering given the picture quality, but what I can discern is a different grayscaling process: one of them is gamma corrected, the other is linear (c.f., the 42's tone, probably also affects the contrast between the hair and the bandana).

(That's the *Luma vs. *Luminance algo in IM speak for the -grayscale switch).

So, curious: is it the same source? Is that the native reader in each case? Or KOReader?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-03-2020 at 04:34 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #20
Gametaku
Gametaku began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Still undecided whether to return the PW4. Just purchased the Kobo Libra at 280SGD (around 205USD) and found out that the price is higher in my country

Will wait for the Kobo Libra to reach me before deciding what to do with the PW4.
Gametaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Hmm, I beg to differ.

Granted, reading manga on 7" is more comfortable than on 6". I really wish Kobo had a 32GB version of the Libra H2O. Mind, my experience with 8" devices mostly consist of tablets that are 300+g. At less than 200g, the Forma might actually be feasible.

From left to right: PW3, PW4, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Can't judge dithering given the picture quality, but what I can discern is a different grayscaling process: one of them is gamma corrected, the other is linear (c.f., the 42's tone, probably also affects the contrast between the hair and the bandana).

So, curious: is it the same source? Is that the native reader in each case? Or KOReader?
Screenshots would be preferable to photos for comparing dithering. (I understand that getting screenshots from kobos can be problematic.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@j.p.s: Screenshots won't help on (Mk. 7) Kobo, the dithering is applied by the EPDC & PxP on its own private work buffer, and not earlier by the software. You'll be grabbing an undithered framebuffer .
Old 02-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:

Excellent point. I just opened books I had available on both platforms and I didn't stop to consider the difference in source quality.

The KEPUB is 150MB while the KFX is likely around 40-50MB. The KEPUB looks amazing on iPad but it appears the KFX version is more optimized for e-ink. Both were viewed using the native reader. Lol, been too lazy to install KOReader on the Libra as the Nickel has been working quite well for me after a couple of page turn patches.

Alas, I don't know of a way to do a lossless conversion for graphic novels to/from AZW3 and EPUB (such that images display fullscreen same as with purchased content).

Closest I could come up with:
1. Download and transfer via USB
2. Convert to EPUB via KindleUnpack
3. Rename EPUB to CBZ and delete OEBPS related files

This gives an AZW3 for reading on the Kindle native reader and CBZ for reading on Kobo Nickel.

Contrast on PW3 still appears to be better than Libra, though.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:01 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, makes sense . I was going to say that if it was a "native" platform-specific format, the Kindle one was likely pre-processed properly (i.e., perfect size for the target device, grayscale, and possibly pre-dithered), while the Kobo one... wouldn't ;p (it's probably even still full color?).
Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Screen shots on the Kobo Aura H2O original are basically whatever is in the file, so yes they can be in colour.
I'd only use a full spectrum photography lamp reflected off a neutral surface or a grey overcast sky, not near dusk or dawn, to photograph eInk. Also only with light at minimum or off. Bright enough light so that any minimum LED light on Kindle isn't affecting the image. No reflections.

A "screen shot" can't ever show what ANY technology of screen is like as there is the display characteristics (CRT, Plasma, various LCD, OLED, real LEDs, different eink generations etc) as well as software.

It's really difficult because the camera will not have the dynamic range or gamma of your eyes. You need a calibrated screen and adjustment of the photo and even then obvious differences in real life may be much less or distorted compared to the images you view. Colour is even harder than monochrome due to the spectrum/colour rendition as well as colour temperature of lighting (LED and Fluorescent have per model non-continuous spectrums) and also the method of making the camera do colour. Then the backlight colour temperature / spectrum of eventual viewer's display and how that display does colour, the phosphors on OLED or CRT, the dye filters on LCD (all of which age with resulting colour shift). The gamma, contrast, dynamic range, brightness and ambient light of final display.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yep, makes sense . I was going to say that if it was a "native" platform-specific format, the Kindle one was likely pre-processed properly (i.e., perfect size for the target device, grayscale, and possibly pre-dithered), while the Kobo one... wouldn't ;p (it's probably even still full color?).
Yep, full color and very high resolution.

Tried an AZW3 file (and lossless extracted images as CBZ for Libra). Using native reader, brightness set to 0 (off for PW4 and Libra, very dim light on PW3).

Scanner did a much better job than taking pics with my smartphone. Alas, no RAW mode I know of so this uses 300dpi, JPEG compression followed by JPEG lossless crop.

I think the dim light on the PW3 made it look more washed out compared to the others. The PW3 has better contrast than either PW4 or Libra albeit in this particular example, the PW4 is really close. I find myself preferring the image processing techniques Amazon uses versus Kobo. Makes comics easier to read.

From left-to-right: PW3, PW4, Libra H2O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skip beat v43 cover.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	176901  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-04-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, the (stock) CBZ reader is... painful on Kobo ^^.

Plus, 32bpp, so you get a "nice" grayscale -> RGB32 -> grayscale roundtrip for no good reason (well, no, there's a "good" reason, it's called Qt5).

You'll *probably* get something rendering closer to the Kindles on KOReader .

But, yeah, that's much closer to what I'd expect those to look like in person .

(On the scanner sidebar: the flush screen probably helps the PW4, too, bringing the screen "closer". Conversely, the Libra's "handle" probably doesn't help, pushing it a bit farther away).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
(On the scanner sidebar: the flush screen probably helps the PW4, too, bringing the screen "closer". Conversely, the Libra's "handle" probably doesn't help, pushing it a bit farther away).
The "colors" on the Libra is actually very close to what I see with the naked eye. It really is noticeably lighter compared to the Paperwhites. I find the Kindles do a better job with the grayscale conversion with regards to compensating for the limitations of the e-ink display.

Mind, the native KFX does look a bit better than the AZW3 version.

Will check out KOReader on the Libra later. Lol, was just too lazy to figure out how to assign button mapping on the Libra so both buttons go next on KOReader. Alas, only 8GB storage means frequent content management when dealing with manga.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #29
Gametaku
Gametaku began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The "colors" on the Libra is actually very close to what I see with the naked eye. It really is noticeably lighter compared to the Paperwhites.
But earlier you mentioned the Libra has better contrast than both PWs?
Gametaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Libra & PW3 almost the same, and both better than PW4. But original Aura H2O is noticeably the best, though slightly lower resolution.
Compared all four in artificial light and daylight.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote