Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Kindle Voyage is back

Look what I found on Amazon Germany:

The Voyage is up for pre-order and will be delivered starting February, 4th.

Guess some of you are extremely happy now, aren't you?

Heck, I was so excited for to see this, I nearly ordered one. And I'd never buy a Kindle. Or would I?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Also available for pre-order in the UK.

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock. Note it's only the WiFi model available. From 4th February.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-28-2020 at 08:42 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock...
Yep. when I go to that link it says

"You purchased this item on 24 Apr 2015."

so its not a newer model

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-28-2020 at 08:41 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Too bad it’s the WiFi-only model, if it was the cellular one I would have jumped on it!
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
Too bad it’s the WiFi-only model, if it was the cellular one I would have jumped on it!
Why waste your money on 3G? 3G is dying and eventually, there won't be 3G support from the cell providers. If you have a 4G or 5G phone that allows you to tether, then you can tether your Kindle an do it that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I can only imagine that they've come across some old stock. Note it's only the WiFi model available. From 4th February.
Still, some might be happy to get a spare. I know I'd be over the moon if some shop found some old stock Aura Ones in their basement
Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Still, some might be happy to get a spare. I know I'd be over the moon if some shop found some old stock Aura Ones in their basement
But if you cannot jailbreak it, do you want a spare Kindle that you will need to keep an eye on to keep it charged?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you cannot jailbreak it, do you want a spare Kindle that you will need to keep an eye on to keep it charged?
Nah, not me. Those who were mourning the Voyages demise. I am mourning the loss of my Aura One! I didn't take to the Forma. That blasted wedge with the buttons was always in the way.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Why waste your money on 3G? 3G is dying and eventually, there won't be 3G support from the cell providers. If you have a 4G or 5G phone that allows you to tether, then you can tether your Kindle an do it that way.
Because I don't want to tether to my mobile all the time - I prefer my gadgets to have their own cellular connectivity, where possible. That is what I love about the Oasis 3 I got, it has cellular, allowing me to synchronise through WhisperSync on the different Kindles and Kindle apps that I read.

To each their own I guess.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
Because I don't want to tether to my mobile all the time - I prefer my gadgets to have their own cellular connectivity, where possible. That is what I love about the Oasis 3 I got, it has cellular, allowing me to synchronise through WhisperSync on the different Kindles and Kindle apps that I read.

To each their own I guess.
I expect the comment was based on a US bent where some carriers (e.g. Verizon) are shutting down 3G support by end of this year.

Oasis 3 and Paperwhite 4 have LTE support.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
I bought a refurbished Voyage last year for $75 from woot and I regret not getting a a second one ever since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I bought a refurbished Voyage last year for $75 from woot and I regret not getting a a second one ever since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
A backup Kindle is not a good idea. If you have someone who would use it, that's OK. But as a backup, not a good idea.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
A backup Kindle is not a good idea. If you have someone who would use it, that's OK. But as a backup, not a good idea.
A lot of people have bought backup voyages because of their unique characteristics and are glad they did.

As to backup kindles in general, newer kindles have a deep sleep mode that approaches the power saving benefits of power off.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A lot of people have bought backup voyages because of their unique characteristics and are glad they did.

As to backup kindles in general, newer kindles have a deep sleep mode that approaches the power saving benefits of power off.
But the Voyage is not a newer Kindle. It's not an older Kindle either. It's a mid-life crisis Kindle.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
But the Voyage is not a newer Kindle. It's not an older Kindle either. It's a mid-life crisis Kindle.
As I wrote, the Voyage has unique characteristics that some people have found it worthwhile to have a backup Voyage without remorse, even years after making that decision.

An opinion that it is never ever OK for anyone anywhere to have a backup kindle of any model is rubbish.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote