Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
DRM Free versions

I'm not after a pirated version, I'm just curious if anyone knows of somewhere to buy a version without DRM
I'm looking for Any Human Heart by William Boyd as the TV show seems quite interesting.

Please don't reply with links to pirate versions or instructions on removing DRM. I'd rather not read the book than do either of those things.
Thanks
Dave
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
With your Sony 505 you can buy ebooks from Kobo, Sony, B&N, Smashwords, plus many more retailers that choose to use ePub and Adobe ADE. You can also use Inkmesh to find the cheapest price from a retailer that sells the format you can use.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
lustyd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
With your Sony 505 you can buy ebooks from Kobo, Sony, B&N, Smashwords, plus many more retailers that choose to use ePub and Adobe ADE. You can also use Inkmesh to find the cheapest price from a retailer that sells the format you can use.
Thanks, I am aware I have a choice of where to buy, just curious if anyone was aware of a DRM free version of this book. I've seen some books in the past where some sites sell them drm free while others put the protection on. My plan was to vote with my wallet
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
Thanks, I am aware I have a choice of where to buy, just curious if anyone was aware of a DRM free version of this book. I've seen some books in the past where some sites sell them drm free while others put the protection on. My plan was to vote with my wallet
The book you're after seems to be available directly from Penguin's website, in ePub format. Does that not imply it's DRM free, or am I being naive?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
From Penguin's ebook FAQ:

Quote:
"...our commercial eBooks have built-in security and encryption features to protect against copyright violations."
Not DRM-free, I'm afraid.

The fact that a book is in EPUB format is no guarantee that it's DRM-free - quite a few online retailers use the EPUB format but add their own DRM encryption to the EPUB file.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm afraid you are being naive. The fact that Penguin does not come clean with the fact that books bought from their site include DRM has been discussed on MR before. In general, publishers control which books have DRM added--though individual authors can negotiate that with the publisher. I have heard that Sony adds DRM to all books downloaded from their site. Kobo has DRM free books, but the fact that they are DRM free appears to be only visible on the version of the store that one sees using a mobile app.

Last edited by taming; 11-22-2010 at 11:05 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm afraid you are being naive ...
Oh well, we live and learn. In which case, referring back to the OP's question, then I guess it's highly unlikely to be available elsewhere DRM-free, as presumably Penguin are using the DRM as means of protecting their copyright.

What I don't understand is why publishers like Penguin bother using DRM at all. All right, I understand that ultimately it's about control, but who are they controlling? I get the impression that, apart from a few law-abiding people like the OP, many, if not most, people strip the DRM from books that they buy. Given that DRM stripping isn't exactly a closely guarded secret, is it really that worthwhile for publishers? Isn't DRM doomed to eventually become obsolete?

For the time being, I'm quite happy downloading and reading free books, but there may come a time when I'm prepared to buy an e-book. If I buy an e-book then I would expect to be able to keep it, like any paper book that I buy. I wouldn't be seeking to make copies to pass to other people, but I would expect to be able to make backup copies and preserve it in a format that could be used on other devices later. Hence my naive curiosity in DRM and the question of whether or not to participate in DRM stripping.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I get the impression that, apart from a few law-abiding people like the OP, many, if not most, people strip the DRM from books that they buy.
I don't think so, actually. I'm quite certain it's only a minority that does it, for various good (like, device shifting) and nefarious reasons.

Quote:
Given that DRM stripping isn't exactly a closely guarded secret, is it really that worthwhile for publishers?
Sure looks that way. Last time I checked it still required running a few Python scripts. Not exactly rocket science, of course, but still beyond the comfort level of many a casual user. And it's exactly that casual sharing (as in "my mother in law making a copy for her friends") that's it's supposed to guard against. To keep an honest (wo)man honest, as it were.

Quote:
Isn't DRM doomed to eventually become obsolete?
One can only hope.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
lustyd
Enthusiast

Quote:
then I guess it's highly unlikely to be available elsewhere DRM-free, as presumably Penguin are using the DRM as means of protecting their copyright..
This is exactly the problem. With MP3 we could buy a CD legally and legally make an electronic version without DRM, thus voting with our feet. Unfortunately with books there isn't a good equivelant That's why I post things like this, and email publishers and generally make as much noise as possible, hopefully it will eventually pay off
Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
lustyd
Enthusiast

Just written to publicity@bloomsbury.com.
Hello, having seen "Any Human Heart" on television last night I am interested in reading the book, and possibly others written by William Boyd. Unfortunately, the only copies I can find to read on my Sony readers are encrypted ones. Could you please tell me if there is anywhere I can buy the epub version of this without the inconvenience of DRM?
Thank you
David Lusty
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Understood, thanks. Well, I think it's unlikely that I'd buy any book that is DRM protected, so all that publishers like Penguin have succeeded in doing is losing my business.

Whereas, I've noticed that O'Reilly books are available in five DRM-free formats (ie PDF, ePub, Kindle-compatible .mobi, DAISY, and Android .apk). They promise lifetime access to ebooks purchased and will also alert purchasers when they've updated ebooks with corrections and additions. So I expect my first purchases will be ebook versions of some of my computer books.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-23-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
What I don't understand is why publishers like Penguin bother using DRM at all....
Door locks are notoriously ineffective. With a tiny bit of training, anyone could breeze through your back door and rob you blind.

And yet, we still use door locks. Why? Because they present a basic line of deterrence, and keep most people honest/restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner
I get the impression that, apart from a few law-abiding people like the OP, many, if not most, people strip the DRM from books that they buy.
I suspect that's a false impression. If that really was the case, no one would gripe about vendor lock-ins, since they'd be irrelevant once you strip the DRM.

Ebooks are still kind of a techie thing. And while it doesn't require much technical expertise to hit the Pirate Bay, stripping DRM is probably too much bother for the average consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner
Isn't DRM doomed to eventually become obsolete?
Nope.

The only media where DRM has gotten blown away is music -- in no small part because the music business distributed DRM-free digital versions for a few decades, thus making it a snap to rip and distribute DRM-less versions.

However, DRM is still prevalent in movies, video games and other media, no matter how often it's cracked. You're also seeing DRM go online, e.g. Adobe's activation systems for its software.

So it is possible that they'll give up on DRM, but I wouldn't count on it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
funny - I looked it up and here the Publisher seems to be Random House. I guess Penguin has EU rights and Random House North American?

Regardless, coming out of either of those publishers you will not find a DRM free version legally available for sale.

Quote:
Sure looks that way. Last time I checked it still required running a few Python scripts. Not exactly rocket science, of course, but still beyond the comfort level of many a casual user. And it's exactly that casual sharing (as in "my mother in law making a copy for her friends") that's it's supposed to guard against. To keep an honest (wo)man honest, as it were.
1. Nope. Once the Plug-in is installed you simply drop the book into Calibre. No running of anything.

2. Honest (wo)men don't need binding to "keep them honest." You kind of make it sound like a digital chastity belt or something. God only knows what she'd get up to if we took this thing off!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
1. Nope. Once the Plug-in is installed you simply drop the book into Calibre. No running of anything.
Or for Mac OS X simply drag and drop it. Can't get any easier than that!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
Just written to publicity@bloomsbury.com.
Hello, having seen "Any Human Heart" on television last night I am interested in reading the book, and possibly others written by William Boyd. Unfortunately, the only copies I can find to read on my Sony readers are encrypted ones. Could you please tell me if there is anywhere I can buy the epub version of this without the inconvenience of DRM?
Thank you
David Lusty
If you just want to read them on your Sony reader, and they are available, why would DRM inconvenience you? Maybe I missed something... Happens quite often...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote