Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
cmwilson
Enthusiast
cmwilson doesn't littercmwilson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Free eBook in multiple DRM-free formats

I am offering Book I of my trilogy, When Women Were Warriors, as a free download from my website:
http://www.catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook.html

Formats are .prc (Mobipocket and Kindle), pdf, and ePub.

There's lots of information about the book here:
http://www.whenwomenwerewarriors.com/

I offered the book in Kindle format first. That thread includes some comments and discussion. It's here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41119

Catherine M. Wilson
http://www.catherine-m-wilson.com/
cmwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you for offering your book to us (and a big thank you for the epub version)

I downloaded this for my when-school-is-out and I-can-sit-on-the-patio-and-read time

Thank you again.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thank you for the book.

This may be an ignorant FYI, but... I downloaded the "epub", and it had a ".zip" extension, which caused me some problems. When I renamed it with a ".epub" extension, my problems went away. I was trying to use the Sony software and Calibre.

Cheers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
This is not my kind of book, so I didn't download it, but I simply wanted to thank you !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I downloaded the "epub", and it had a ".zip" extension, which caused me some problems. When I renamed it with a ".epub" extension, my problems went away. I was trying to use the Sony software and Calibre.
If you rename it back to *.zip you can unzip it.
Inside the archive you find some xml files with metadata (the book was obviously generated using Calibre) and html files with the actual text of the book. You can even tweak the css file for a different font, fontsize, or justification. After playing you just zip it back, add an .epub extension and it should work.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think his point was the download was .ZIP, and he had to rename it to .EPUB.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I think his point was the download was .ZIP, and he had to rename it to .EPUB.
+1. Yes, that's what I meant.

When I tried to import the file "as is" to my Sony (using Sony's software), it didn't import. I'm not sure if the a typical user would know to change the extension.

And again, thank you for the book.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you rename it back to *.zip you can unzip it.
Inside the archive you find some xml files with metadata (the book was obviously generated using Calibre) and html files with the actual text of the book. You can even tweak the css file for a different font, fontsize, or justification. After playing you just zip it back, add an .epub extension and it should work.
Ok... So I uzipped everything to a folder. How do I load the files into Calibre?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
To load it into Calibre all you need to do is drag the EPUB file. Kacir is talking about other stuff because he misunderstood your post.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
To load it into Calibre all you need to do is drag the EPUB file. Kacir is talking about other stuff because he misunderstood your post.
When you say "drag the EPUB file", do you mean EPUB file downloaded from the site? I tried this, and it didn't seem to work: View just showed me what was in the zip file, and when I did convert, it looked like only a part of the book was converted.

Once I changed the extension (on the EPUB file, from ".zip" to ".EPUB"), Calibre seemed fine.

Sirbruce and kacir I'm only messing with ya (to prove my point): For the end user/customer (i.e. casual reader), an epub extension would be better.

Sorry for de-railing the thread, but, look on the bright side: more bumps for advertising a free book.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
cmwilson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I downloaded the "epub", and it had a ".zip" extension, which caused me some problems. When I renamed it with a ".epub" extension, my problems went away. I was trying to use the Sony software and Calibre.

Cheers.
Hi John,

Thanks for letting me know about this. Someone else on mobilereads converted the file for me. It's on the server unzipped as an epub. Maybe Calibre has something to do with zipping it or adding the extension.

Thanks for reading!

Catherine M. Wilson

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If it's the epub I sent you it's just a Calibre conversion of the Mobi file. Don't know what's up with it having a zip extension.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
cmwilson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If it's the epub I sent you it's just a Calibre conversion of the Mobi file. Don't know what's up with it having a zip extension.
It sounds as if the person's system either zipped it or added the extension. The file on the server has just the extension .epub and isn't zipped. I downloaded it, saved it on my desktop, and opened it with Calibre, no problem.

Catherine M. Wilson

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Firstly, thanks for the free book. Its great to see people offer their work to the community. I have downloaded the file, unzipped it and there were errors in the unzipping that required a password. Then I have ended up with 4 files of different sizes in BBeB secure format. So - I cant find where the book is. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I didn't have any problem putting her book on my reader. Am I missing something? I used the Sony Library to import the epub book file that I downloaded then transferred it to my Reader. It was fast and opened quickly on my Reader.

Oops.. Maybe the problem is importing with Calibre? Sorry if I didn't catch what the thread questions were about. ("my bad")

Last edited by dreams; 05-07-2009 at 12:50 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote