Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
5 way Navigate - why not scroll ball?

I used to be a Blackberry user, and blackberry has a scroll ball for navigation. You can turn that ball to all direction effortlessly.

Why Kindle chose the square 5 way navigate instead of scroll ball? To get to any word for a definition, it means you have to navigate vertical for a few times, then horizontally a few times, it is so inconvenient.

This is so far the biggest drawback for Kindle 2.

Did I miss anything? Any tips you want to share for using the 5-way?

Thanks!
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Image how you use your blackberry trackball and waiting for that eInk screen to update to show where you are. =D
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
pengrus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Image how you use your blackberry trackball and waiting for that eInk screen to update to show where you are. =D
Could you please elaborate? I do not understand how it works. So eInk determines that we cannot use scrollball?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

eInk is not a traditional TFT display, so its refresh rate does not come close to your first generation LCD. http://eink.com/technology/index.html

In fact, epaper technology first started for non-interactive use. As the technology improves, more user interaction can be done with the display technology. Trackball will lead to very fast input rate, user will expect a very fast response from the screen. epaper is pitched as low-power display device rather than fast interactive display.

Last edited by stevenmoy; 02-27-2009 at 01:49 AM.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
pengrus
Enthusiast

Thank you for the explanation. Now it makes sense to me.
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
eInk is not a traditional TFT display, so its refresh rate does not come close to your first generation LCD. http://eink.com/technology/index.html

In fact, epaper technology first started for non-interactive use. As the technology improves, more user interaction can be done with the display technology. Trackball will lead to very fast input rate, user will expect a very fast response from the screen. epaper is pitched as low-power display device rather than fast interactive display.
Ah-ha! looks like many small reasons for waiting on the 2 are adding up!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

As a blackberry user I can tell you that the trackball gets "sticky" from time to time. I have had to disassemble my Curve a couple of times to clean the ball. Still love the 'Berry though, I just wish the trackball would work 100% of the time, even 98% doesnt cut it. IMO
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote