Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs down Gizmodo just tore the sony 600 and 300 a new one

http://gizmodo.com/5359122/sony-read...ny-compromises
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Seems reasonable...though the Kindle comparisons are a bit tiring...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
lots of bad information. its sad.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
He doesn't emphasize clearly enough that the touch screen causes the glare. However, the touch screen is the biggest selling point for ithe 600. This is why I never read reviews of ebook devices, because it gets me all riled up.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
He doesn't emphasize clearly enough that the touch screen causes the glare. However, the touch screen is the biggest selling point for ithe 600. This is why I never read reviews of ebook devices, because it gets me all riled up.
I'm not sure why the author would need to emphasize the touch/glare relationship. The touch edition has glare, and that was stated. The pocket edition has less glare, and that was stated too, no? They even mentioned that the daily edition will probably have glare too, due to its touch screen. I'm not certain what they missed that is so critical.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The CNET reviews gave the 300 a higher rating than the 600 as well. All the extra functionality aside, the two most important factors in E-readers are readability and library access. The reviewer refers to Sony library access as a positive. He just is very sensitive to the glare. Once anyone gets access to a decent library with ebooks I just can't understand picking a Kindle over a Sony. The glare issue is bound to cause some readers to vote against the Sony. There is no way around it.

I'm keeping my 505. I just can't see exchanging a worse reading experience for a dictionary.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
the default turn page swipe as noted in the review is counter-intuitive for me - left to right (although may make sense due to its Japenese origin) It is easily changable though in the settings to change with a swipe from right to left which felt more like a page turn to me - I think th reviewer missed that you can change it

but i do agree with his assesment of the glare (Not withstanding unique definitions ala JSWolf)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It's such a biased review...he bases the entire evaluation of the TE on the glare.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Just as a matter of interest, but do many people on here actually read books the way he was describing, jumping around in them rather than reading them straight through? To me that just seems a weird way to read a book unless you were studying it or something.

While a lot of his points were at least partly fair, the overuse of the word kindle was extremely tiresome and the complaint about the lack of a memory card slot seems more than a little churlish when the included memory will be good for at least 500 books.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
It's such a biased review...he bases the entire evaluation of the TE on the glare.
It did come across as he wanted to write an unfavourable review, found a fault and then built his entire review round that fault.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I have had my 700 for about a year and have never used the search function. This is not a research tool.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
I just returned a 600 and picked up the 300, and will be selling my practically brand new Kindle 2 within a week or so (when I find the time). The reason I returned the 600? Glare, and I couldn't read the thing while resting in bed. The screen was too dark and difficult to read even with all the lights on in the room. I had to put it down and pick up the Kindle just to finish reading my book.

So why did I get the 300? Because everything this reviewer said was wrong with the 300 is exactly what I wanted. I like to read my books from front to back. I don't flip back and forth and search for characters because I forgot them, as I tend to remember what I read. I love the size, and the screen is brilliant. The interface is simple yet intuitive.

I don't understand the desire to trash a reader because it doesn't have memory slots. I read a book, offload it, load another, and read some more. Maybe I'll load two or three (or a few more) on there to have a selection to span a few weeks. What I don't do is stockpile all of my already read books on my device. I have a computer with significantly more storage space where I can keep books for archives.

Anyway, I was immediately turned off of the "review" as soon as the reviewer said that the swipe-gesture was backwards. If he didn't bother to learn how to use the device, how in the heck can he properly review it? It was very clear that he just wanted to hate the Sony devices. Obviously they're not for everyone, but I suppose unbiased reviews are going the way of the dodo.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
bsg75
bsg75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 (?)
He made it pretty clear the touchscreen caused the glare, but he just isn't knowledgeable about what's out there right now. He fails to mention the Astak Pocket Pro (cheaper than the PRS-300 if you factor in the case), the PRS-700 (against which the 600 compares favorably, and the high price of the iRex. Sure Sony could have used a better touchscreen in the 600, but they're more expensive.
bsg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg75 View Post
He made it pretty clear the touchscreen caused the glare, but he just isn't knowledgeable about what's out there right now. He fails to mention the Astak Pocket Pro (cheaper than the PRS-300 if you factor in the case), the PRS-700 (against which the 600 compares favorably, and the high price of the iRex. Sure Sony could have used a better touchscreen in the 600, but they're more expensive.
Thing is...that is the same boat good old Jane and Joe User are floating around in along with the reviewer...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think he ignored the cost factor. At $199, the average Jane reader is going to overlook a lot of "issues" with the 300.

And I've never in my life read a book in a way that made me want to scroll ahead or back by many pages at a time. Was he even reading a book? Or just trying to find excuses to trash the device?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote