Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Mom has a Kindle; I have a Sony, and how we're both happy

My parents recently visited me and my mom and I got a chance to show off our new gadgets to each other. Over the summer, I had gotten a Sony 505 and she had gotten a Kindle. We were very eager to compare techno babies.

Well, when my mom handed me her Kindle, I felt like someone had just handed me an ugly baby. After supressing a grimace and forcing my eyes to stay open, I remarked on how big it was.

When I showed my mother my Sony, her envy over its sleek, compact, and stylish appearance was visible, and she even admitted it.

Now, despite my personal view about the Kindle's appearance, I did find it to be a great device. The page turning controls are bigger and much easier to use than the controls on the Sony. My mother really likes her Kindle because she loves audio books, and the Kindle connects wirelessly to Audible.com, so the device saves her sending CDs back and forth in the mail like she's been doing for years.

Interestingly, my mom does not use the ebook reader part much. She thinks the ebooks look fine and are comfortable to read, but she still likes the feel of a book in her hand. I think the longer she has the Kindle the more she will drift into e-reading.

As for me, I remain delighted with my Sony. I have little need for audio books and I do not want wireless shopping because then I would spend too much. In my opinion, the Sony 505 is sleek and stylish and effortless to use. I didn't even need to consult directions to figure out the controls. The Kindle however has a menu system utterly foreign to my brain wiring.

Conclusion: Both babies are lovable! Kindle has a broad range of features that appeal to the needs of some people. The Sony is elegant and simple and lets me read instead of shop.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
The Sony is elegant and simple and lets me read instead of shop.
Gee, and here I've been using my Kindle to read. Who knew it wasn't for reading .... that I was supposed to "shop" with it.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Why doesn't your mom just go with an mp3 player if she prefers to read pBooks?

I finally got to play with a 505 at my local Target. It is sleek and small and I liked the screen contrast (it seems a bit brighter than my Kindle). That said, those little buttons on the right side did not work for me. The round buttons were a bit better. It took about 5 mins. or so to figure out what was what so I could maneuver around. About the same amount of time it took me to figure out my Kindle.

I like my Kindle being bigger. It's just more comfortable for me to hold than the Sony. And my original reason for buying is still valid (content and pricing) and I'd buy the Kindle again.

It is great that there is so much choice in readers, even if choosing can make one go insane.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nice to have both in the same house, best of both worlds
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, sony 505 experience