Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
One more thing, if you are testing Gutenberg text files, remember that the Cybook accepts those without any conversion, so throw the file into the reader and just read it.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
And don't forget that if you're actually looking to read the Gutenburg books, there's a good chance that someone (quite possibly Harry :-)) will have already converted them to Mobipocket format & uploaded them to the eBooks section here!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't take things so literally, Tommy; the English language doesn't work like that. If someone says to you "I'll be there in a minute", it doesn't mean "60 seconds precisely", but "a fairly short, but indefinite, time".

For me, the time taken to find a book in the Gen3's library is "short". You may not perceive it to be; that's fine. Nobody is trying to "mislead" anyone.
Yes, but your statements did not include the information that you consider 50 seconds to be a time that is not worth mentioning and very short. Most people think it is a very long time to spend to switch between books. So I still maintain that you unintentionally is fooling people with statements like look up of words and switching between books only take a few seconds.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, but your statements did not include the information that you consider 50 seconds to be a time that is not worth mentioning and very short. Most people think it is a very long time to spend to switch between books. So I still maintain that you unintentionally is fooling people with statements like look up of words and switching between books only take a few seconds.
Yes, I'd have to agree that navigating the library generally takes more than what I would consider a "few" seconds.

Last edited by bwaldron; 10-09-2008 at 03:11 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is possible to get PDFs to display a cover image on the CyBook library screen, but it's tricky. You need to create an suitable .t2b file and copy it onto the Cybook with the ebook file.

If you're on Windows, there is a .t2b creator program, see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=3

Paul
Paul,

Thank you very much. I tried it and it works like a charm. A very very very useful little program.

And thank you ashalan for making the program ofcourse.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 10-09-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: more thanking.. I start to look like a priest :)
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #21
Tommo43
Enthusiast
Tommo43 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
I have just noticed that the price has been dropped I also notice from the bookeen home page that the box content does not include the case. (which you have) I'm glad I bought mine from Smiths which included the case. I also notice that the model number is given as CYBGEN310BS my model number is CYBGEN310B (no S) although reading through the specs I can't see any difference between the two models. Anyone any thoughts

Tommo
Tommo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
Tommo43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo43 View Post
I have just noticed that the price has been dropped I also notice from the bookeen home page that the box content does not include the case. (which you have) I'm glad I bought mine from Smiths which included the case. I also notice that the model number is given as CYBGEN310BS my model number is CYBGEN310B (no S) although reading through the specs I can't see any difference between the two models. Anyone any thoughts

Tommo
I've just bought a few books from WH smith their e book web site is up and running. Two of the books were in pdf format and opened in digital editions I seem to have a problem in opening them in my cybook. Do I have to do anything special

tommo
Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've just bought a few books from WH smith their e book web site is up and running. Two of the books were in pdf format and opened in digital editions I seem to have a problem in opening them in my cybook. Do I have to do anything special

tommo
CyBook doesn't support secure Adobe. Is that what they are?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
One more thing, if you are testing Gutenberg text files, remember that the Cybook accepts those without any conversion, so throw the file into the reader and just read it.
You can do that, but 5 minutes "tidying up" with a tool such as Book Designer will make the reading experience hugely better. "Raw" text files will generally have line breaks in undesirable places, no chapter breaks, etc. If it's something that you plan to re-read in the future, it's well worth taking the trouble to do a little "improvement" before reading it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #25
Tommo43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
CyBook doesn't support secure Adobe. Is that what they are?

BOb
Doh i must remember that support for pdf doesn't mean secure pdf. Trouble is I can't load the files on to my sony either. Have I wasted my money ?

Tommo
Old 10-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They should work on the Sony - have you "activated" your Sony with Adobe Digital Editions?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #27
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Have I wasted my money ?

Tommo
Duh, I certainly did when (in my early enthusiastic state) I bought a book at ereader.com.

Luckily, the damage was less than 5 euro.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #28
lithprinter
lithprinter began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

I wasted a bit of time yesterday trying to get the names of my books sorted out and getting them to appear in the order I want in the library. I have set up a filing system based on folders with letters for authors last names ('a' 'b' 'c' etc. in subfolders 'fiction' 'nonfiction' 'work'. So now the files display in the order I like with the 'sort by file path' option.

But the problem is even though I changed the names of the files to 'author - title.prc' only the pdf files actually display like that. Many of the others still display their silly original names like 'lizalambeth_maugham'. I believe I need to get the mobi2mobi application and edit the metadata within the prc file itself and that mobireader software is of no use either. I'm glad I have only got a few files to do.

I also downloaded the Webster dictionary from Fictionwise. It didn't work at first because I put it in its own folder rather than the ebooks folder. But it's OK now.
lithprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't take things so literally, Tommy; the English language doesn't work like that. If someone says to you "I'll be there in a minute", it doesn't mean "60 seconds precisely", but "a fairly short, but indefinite, time".
Harry_T, please do not exaggerate.
If English language was so imprecise it would not be used for dozen millions science books.
As I said long time ago, some of your comments are misleading. We have to wait until you buy next ebook reader and sell your current one, in order to learn about its true cons
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Astra,

Language is used differently in different contexts. If one is writing a scientific paper, words take on different meanings to those they have in an everyday social context such as this. Believe me, if an English speaker says to you "I'll phone you back in a minute", they will not mean "precisely 60 seconds"; they could mean 5 or 10 minutes.

Tags
cybook, gen3