Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Who uses overdrive?

I don't use it now because I have no patience to side-load books onto my kobo. I basically just take advantage of coupons and buy a bunch when I find good deals and load them via wifi.

But I'm crazy excited about overdrive being built into the new KAO!!! This totally caters to my laziness and my need for getting what I want right away (and without paying)!

I've only ever just quickly browsed overdrive and not really looked too much into it yet. Do you like it? Do you find it hard to get the books you want? Do you use it a lot or still buy all your books (or side-load them from elsewhere)?
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's trivial to side-load library eBooks. I do it a lot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's trivial to side-load library eBooks. I do it a lot.
Yeah but I'm super lazy (or maybe I'm just crazy busy all the time with my kids). Like I rarely sit at my laptop (or use it) and to plug my kobo in and actually do it feels like a chore. I like to open my kobo and get a book with a few clicks. So I'm hoping the built in overdrive is as awesome as I'm hoping it will be
Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
OverDrive checkouts through Amazon also sync directly to your Kindle. And I can testify that that is pretty awesome.
I am sure the new Kobo integration will be just as awesome.

re: OverDrive in general, yes, I tend to find that the books I want are available. Of course, not every library is well-stocked, but they are available for the library to purchase...
It helps that I have access to several libraries, because my home library is pretty pathetic. Even the pbook catalog.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
OverDrive checkouts through Amazon also sync directly to your Kindle. And I can testify that that is pretty awesome.
I am sure the new Kobo integration will be just as awesome.

re: OverDrive in general, yes, I tend to find that the books I want are available. Of course, not every library is well-stocked, but they are available for the library to purchase...
It helps that I have access to several libraries, because my home library is pretty pathetic. Even the pbook catalog.
good to hear!
Advert
Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I love Overdrive. I'm on a FreeBSD system, so ADE 2.01 is a little wonky, but even still, sideloading library books isn't really an issue.

I'm just hoping that Kobo eventually enables the Overdrive integration on earlier models, like my H2O.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Can someone post an Overdrive 101 tutorial for someone who is not familiar with it.

Is Overdrive just another word for ADE which I already have?

For Overdrive on my PC, what all would it be useful for with my ereader?

Why would I want it on my ereader?

Etc., etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by petercreasey; 08-30-2016 at 02:18 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post

Why would I want it on my phone? What all would it be useful for?
Audio books. I get loads of audio books through Overdrive. It's useful to have their app on your phone for that reason.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Can someone post an Overdrive 101 tutorial for someone who is not familiar with it.

Is Overdrive just another word for ADE which I already have?

For Overdrive on my PC, what all would it be useful for with my ereader?

Why would I want it on my ereader?

Etc., etc.

Thanks!
Over simplified version: Overdrive is the infrastructure which allows you to BORROW books from your public library (assuming they participate) rather than buying books. It uses ADE to deliver the books and put the time limit on long you have access to it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
r, thanks!

So, it sounds as though there is no Overdrive software that I have to worry about since I have ADE.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I borrow books from my library. But never from overdrive although I know the book is provided from them via the library.. So this will begin a new era in book borrowing

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
OverDrive is just one of a number of ebook providers my local library uses, so if only OverDive ebooks will be available direct to the device then I'll still need to use ADE for all the others.

I'm not reading as many library books as I used to though, that's partly beause the publisher who has most of the books I currenty want to read (Gollancz/Gateway) doesn't allow the library to lend its ebooks, and partly because so many of the books have publishing mistakes that can only be fixed by removing the DRM and editing the book. (I'd rather buy the book and fix it once for future re-reading.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-31-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I'd rather ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I belong to two Overdrive libraries and one 3M library. I loved having built-in Overdrive on my Sony readers and am excited that Kobo is finally offering it. I'm looking forward to the Kobo Aura One. The big screen and the Overdrive integration are what finally pushed me to consider Kobo (and my huge library of hundreds of books that have been transferred to Kobo from other closed ebookstores). I estimate that I've saved around $280 so far this year by borrowing books from the library instead of buying them.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Almost everything I read is from the library via Overdrive. It works well and my library's collection is huge since the local suburban libraries are in a cooperative network with the Cleveland Public Library. 43 Library systems in 12 of Ohio's counties.
In the rare occasions that a book has not been available through the library, Overdrive provides a request form so you can ask for the library to add it - and when I've used that system they do eventually add it.
So, I am a big fan of Overdrive. I hope if comes directly to an Aura near me soon, even though I am not bothered by the need to sync with my computer.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
Almost everything I read is from the library via Overdrive. It works well and my library's collection is huge since the local suburban libraries are in a cooperative network with the Cleveland Public Library. 43 Library systems in 12 of Ohio's counties.
In the rare occasions that a book has not been available through the library, Overdrive provides a request form so you can ask for the library to add it - and when I've used that system they do eventually add it.
So, I am a big fan of Overdrive. I hope if comes directly to an Aura near me soon, even though I am not bothered by the need to sync with my computer.
Ksquared, I was able to use my CLEVNET card to also get a card from the Cuyahoga County Overdrive site. Generally, between the two of them, I can find what I want. IMO it's definitely worth checking into. Also, Cuyahoga allows an obscene number of checkouts (50 books!), so if it's that time of year when it seems like everything you want is out at the same time, you get a little more option to borrow them right away (assuming you read quickly )
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote