Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anyone else started thinking about Nano? [2015]

I couldn't participate in Nanowrimo last year because I moved house mid November and life was exhausting chaos, but I'm hoping to do it this year. Have already begun thinking about plot ideas and what to write. I'm also gathering together notebooks to keep in my handbag and beside my bed (during Nano all my best plot ideas come during the dropping off to sleep phase).

I know I'm being a bit previous and wonder if I'm the only one. Does anyone have suggestions for prompt sites? <--- My Survival Kit!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-25-2014 at 08:20 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I couldn't participate in Nanowrimo last year because I moved house mid November and life was exhausting chaos, but I'm hoping to do it this year. Have already begun thinking about plot ideas and what to write. I'm also gathering together notebooks to keep in my handbag and beside my bed (during Nano all my best plot ideas come during the dropping off to sleep phase).

I know I'm being a bit previous and wonder if I'm the only one. Does anyone have suggestions for prompt sites? <--- My Survival Kit!
I'm going to start working out some ideas soon. You might find the following of use: How to be a NaNoWriMo Winner I'm going to be using the structure I picked up from Andrew Heath in working out my plot in more detail as well. I posted about his 4 step outline. 4 step outline Hopefully it will keep me going a bit better this year. The book is also over at Smashwords.

Last edited by crich70; 09-07-2014 at 05:58 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I have a novel all planned out - probably too much planning (over 30,000 words!) - so it would be ideal NaNoWriMo fodder... but I'll be at the busiest time for the project I'm managing in November, so sadly I'll have to give a miss.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had an idea spark last night. I'd heard a song on the radio last Sunday evening while on the way to services and then last night I was doing some poking round at Wikipedia and the two things just made a connection. The song even gave me an idea for a potential title. I can't wait to see where the idea takes me.

Last edited by crich70; 09-09-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I try to avoid reading 'How to' books before Nano: they set up standards which prevent the free flow of the writing during November, encouraging the 'inner critic' to begin nagging. I have so many "How to Write" style books that I could begin a library.

Inspiration still hasn't struck me. I normally get my best ideas from a random word generator called 'MikkoMatrix' which I don't think is available anymore. Meanwhile I'm brushing up my typing speed and writing lots of short pieces for practise.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I'll probably give it a try again.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
KimaPrince
KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (2012)
I'm actually looking forward to NaNo this year, I've known about it for 4 or so years, attempted a few times but didn't get anywhere really. This year I became much more serious about my writing and I hope to use NaNo as a challange to write some of the novels I'm already working on, or perhaps just start fresh with a new idea.
KimaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Anyone else working on prep for NaNo?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
KimaPrince
KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimaPrince ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (2012)
I'm not really working much on prep for nano, but I do have a story idea. I'd like to kinda do a seat of the pants type writing for Nano. Take a base idea and run with it. Eventually my characters and ideas run away from me and write themselves. As long as I have an idea of the beginning, middle and end I should be good.
KimaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

Since you started this 2014 thread, I'd be happy to sticky this one and un-stick and close the 2012 thread.

Say the word.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since you started this 2014 thread, I'd be happy to sticky this one and un-stick and close the 2012 thread.

Say the word.

Don
(Moderator)
And I have no problem with that. My 2012 thread has been hanging round for quite a while.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok.

The other Nano thread from 2012, one thoughtfully started by crich70, has been un-stuck and closed.

This thread (the one with this post) will be stickied and '2014' added to the Subject heading.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm going to start working out some ideas soon. You might find the following of use: How to be a NaNoWriMo Winner I'm going to be using the structure I picked up from Andrew Heath in working out my plot in more detail as well. I posted about his 4 step outline. 4 step outline Hopefully it will keep me going a bit better this year. The book is also over at Smashwords.
Thanks for the link, crich. That's a great book.

I've heard about Nano for donkey's years but always in Fall or Winter and always after it actually started. I've been toying with the idea of starting it this year and writing with my trusty fountain pens and cheap paper. It's counter intuitive but by slowing myself down, and using a medium that makes it harder to get stuck trying to edit what I just typed, I'm hoping to use Nano's idea to push on quickly, do the creative part while leaving edits for later. No spell-checker, no word counter, no grammar checker, no nags at all until the day's writing is done.

I don't know whether or not it will it work. Maybe I'll get slowed down too much, but I might give it a try.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thanks for the link, crich. That's a great book.

I've heard about Nano for donkey's years but always in Fall or Winter and always after it actually started. I've been toying with the idea of starting it this year and writing with my trusty fountain pens and cheap paper. It's counter intuitive but by slowing myself down, and using a medium that makes it harder to get stuck trying to edit what I just typed, I'm hoping to use Nano's idea to push on quickly, do the creative part while leaving edits for later. No spell-checker, no word counter, no grammar checker, no nags at all until the day's writing is done.

I don't know whether or not it will it work. Maybe I'll get slowed down too much, but I might give it a try.
Sometimes initial ideas can come easier by writing them down on paper. I'm going to work on the pre-writing planning for my NaNo using pens and legal pads and then transfer everything to a Scrivener file. Good luck on your NaNo.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Yes, I'm seriously considering it this year. I am thinking of cheating and writing a handful of shorts rather than a long piece.

I have been trying to work out my ecosystem for planning and writing, and I think I shall be doing most of it through Evernote on my Android Slatebook 14.

I am avoiding Scrivener as I am moving my digital life to the cloud.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nanowrimo, participation, preparation, prompts, writing