Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
-A-
-A- began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
NookColor and CM10.1

Hi,

my NookColor have just received a new ROM - CM10.1 RC1 which is based on Android 4.2.2. It's a nice upgrade, my 2 year old Nook feels like a brand new thing, but unfortunately this upgrade also breaks Calibre.

With my old ROM (CM7.2) Nook memory was mounted in windows as two separate drive letters. The books were automatically saved to /sdcard/My Files/Books and all news went to /sdcard/My Files/Magazines.

With the upgrade to CM10.1 things look different. Device is mounted as portable device in windows, no drive letters assigned, instead I have "NookColor" in my Computer which has two folders: "Internal Storage" and "SD card". Calibre now saves data at random location, news go to /sdcard/Books/News and regular books go to /sdcard/Books.

I believe this is related to a change in PRODUCT_ID reported by new ROM. with the old ROM I see this in Windows device manager:

Hardware Ids:
USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&REV_0216
USB\VID_2080&PID_0002

but with the new ROM it changes to

Hardware Ids:
USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02&REV_0216
USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02

so the product ID is now 2D02 and NookColor driver in Calibre does not recognize this ID.

Is it possible to force NookColor driver to accept this new product ID? If not then could it be possible to update Calibre driver to accept new IDs?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by -A-; 05-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.
-A- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-connect-to-it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
-A-

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it is not very useful. FAQ explicitly says:
Quote:
Note: on windows, the device must have a drive letter for calibre to use it.
and with this new ROM I can't find a way to mount tablet as Windows drive. It shows up as portable device which does not have drive letters. Maybe I'm missing something, I'll try to dig further.

Andy
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it is not very useful. FAQ explicitly says:

and with this new ROM I can't find a way to mount tablet as Windows drive. It shows up as portable device which does not have drive letters. Maybe I'm missing something, I'll try to dig further.

Andy
It was pretty clear XP does not support Media Devices (well enough for Calibre's needs)

Then you use rule 2 :Content server or Calibre Companion solution.

OR
You could update Windows (IMHO skip Vista) to W7 if you hardware Exceeds (more than just meets ) Minimum requirements .

Hint: Calibre Companion (available at Google Play) costs around $3
W7 upgrade: $$$
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
-A-

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It was pretty clear XP does not support Media Devices (well enough for Calibre's needs)
I do not think I mentioned XP anywhere. I am running win7 and have no issue with the device itself. The problem is not that Calibre does not recognize this device, problem is that it does not recognize it as NookColor. I can upload books from Calibre but they appear in different location from what is used by NookClor plugin. From the looks of it it seems that Calibre uses MTP plugin after ROM upgrade instead of NookColor plugin, this is likely caused by the new VENDOR_ID/PRODUCT_ID combination that Android reports after upgrade.
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the device is an MTP device then it has to use the MTP plugin. And you can control where books are sent by right clicking on the device icon in calibre when connected and selecting configure this device.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote