Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #76
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
How so? The N7 has a DPI of 216, 33% higher than the mini.
I prefer the colour contrast on the mini. I don't have the best eyesight so I don't notice the pixels. The mini has bad specs on paper but performs well in real life. For me whilst the nexus 7 is ok, it doesn't perform as well as the specs would suggest. Or maybe I was expecting too much from it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #77
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I prefer the colour contrast on the mini. I don't have the best eyesight so I don't notice the pixels. The mini has bad specs on paper but performs well in real life. For me whilst the nexus 7 is ok, it doesn't perform as well as the specs would suggest. Or maybe I was expecting too much from it.
So it's a colour temperature preference, which is subjective, as opposed to the sharpness/crispness which is more objective (as it's dependent on DPI). I know Samsung screens tend to go towards blue, but I'm not certain what the N7 screen leans towards.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #78
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
How so? The N7 has a DPI of 216, 33% higher than the mini.
I haven't compared it to the iPad mini, but my Nexus 7 has viewing angle issues. It washes out at certain angles. I never had that issue with my iPad 2 or 3.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I haven't compared it to the iPad mini, but my Nexus 7 has viewing angle issues. It washes out at certain angles. I never had that issue with my iPad 2 or 3.
Don't know you, but I tend to look at my tablets straight on.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #80
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Don't know you, but I tend to look at my tablets straight on.
If two or three people want to watch a video, it's hard for all them to look straight on. Unless they are very cozy.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #81
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If two or three people want to watch a video, it's hard for all them to look straight on. Unless they are very cozy.
I haven't noticed many people wanting to get cozy with me when I watch my Gene Simmons workout videos on my iPad...which is strange, because it's not like I'm actually exercising...just watching....

BTW...that was a joke if you were wondering...
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #82
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I haven't noticed many people wanting to get cozy with me when I watch my Gene Simmons workout videos on my iPad...which is strange, because it's not like I'm actually exercising...just watching....

BTW...that was a joke if you were wondering...
Yeah, sometimes you have to be specific, sarcasm seems to escape some people.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #83
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Doesn't the Nexus 7 use an IPS panel? If so, there shouldn't be a drastic difference in tint or brightness. I've never been impressed by screens used by ASUS in the past, but with the N7, they're trying to offer a Fire/Note-competitive user experience, and my limited exposure to the N7 suggested it did so in hardware as well as software.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-23-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #84
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Yes, I did remember correctly: The Nexus 7 does use an IPS panel and in theory should have decent viewing angles. You might be interested in this section of an extensive review, in which the N7's IPS panel is tested:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...an,3249-5.html
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #85
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Retina vs. non-retina; many do not see it

The Best Buy test that I observed used the New York Times in portrait mode—I specifically asked them to test that as I read it regularly. Most customers and even the Best Buy sales people could *not* tell the difference between a Retina and non-Retina iPad!

This is hardly the difference between a horse-and-buggy and the automobile. That analogy might be apt if the change had been from the old 16-pound “portable” Kaypro word processor to today’s iPad—but that’s *not* what we’re comparing!

Certainly, many people could never go back to using a non-retina screen—but that doesn't mean that *everyone* or even *most* people see that great a difference in the screens. The question then, is why? I can think of three reasons.
  1. The size of the screen.
  2. How close people hold the screen to their eyeballs.
  3. To borrow a phrase from Jane Austen, differences in visual sense--and sensibilities.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #86
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

robinson, those are all brilliant points!

(Just kidding, I wanted to delete this follow up, but couldn't figure out how!)

Last edited by robinson; 01-23-2013 at 08:49 AM.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #87
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Certainly, many people could never go back to using a non-retina screen—but that doesn't mean that *everyone* or even *most* people see that great a difference in the screens.
I doubt that. Seeing the same content on iPad 2 and iPad 3 side by side, it's impossible to deny the superiority of the Retina screen, or to deny the existence of marked differences. To the casual eye of a casual user, the difference might not be obvious at first glance, but after you point out the differences specifically, everyone can see them.

For example, open the iPad's Settings app on both iPad 2 and iPad 3, lay them side by side, and compare the look of the text. Dramatic difference.

I find that Retina screens are especially crucial for reading e-books. All fonts, no matter which you prefer, are so much crisper on Retina (or equivalent) screens.

Of course, if you're happy with previous-decade screens, that's fine, too. You'll be able to save some money, I guess (though not in the case of the heavily overpriced iPad mini).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #88
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
robinson, those are all brilliant points!

(Just kidding, I wanted to delete this follow up, but couldn't figure out how!)
You can't. Folks usually just edit them to say "(never mind)" or similar.
But patting yourself on the back is OK, too.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #89
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Yes, I did remember correctly: The Nexus 7 does use an IPS panel and in theory should have decent viewing angles. You might be interested in this section of an extensive review, in which the N7's IPS panel is tested:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...an,3249-5.html
Well, the screen quality is the least of what I dislike about the Nexus 7. I do find it inferior to the iPad 3 screen, but the real deal breaker for me with the N7 is the poor battery life. And I'm just not crazy about Android OS.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #90
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Well, the screen quality is the least of what I dislike about the Nexus 7. I do find it inferior to the iPad 3 screen, but the real deal breaker for me with the N7 is the poor battery life. And I'm just not crazy about Android OS.
The link provided above would suggest battery life is pretty good:

Source