Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #301
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

The new Overdrive layout.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #302
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
One thing that I noticed last night that I honestly can't remember having seen with the old system: the library can mark books to only have a shorter lending period. I ran across a few that were set to only be 7 day lending periods. (I think they were newer books, which would kinda mirror our local library's policy that new books can only be checked out for 7 days also). Maybe that was there in the old system, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing it before.
It's new. All new titles seems to be 7 days only now.
This is so not cool. If I checked out a series I want to read I now have to read them in 7 days. Ridiculous!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #303
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ That's really ridiculous.
I find the Brooklyn 14 days not enough, if I end up having a few books become available at the same time, and, very often, not in chronological order when they are part of a series.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #304
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
This is so not cool. If I checked out a series I want to read I now have to read them in 7 days. Ridiculous!
oh, I don't know. A book a day.....
Of course, it would be against the rules to clean them up then not delete them until you have read them. So don't do it, will you?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #305
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I thought everyone knew that if you load a library ebook on your Kindle and turn off the wireless, the ebook will be readable until you turn the wireless back on.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #306
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the check out period limit should be tied to the demand for the ebook, not when it arrived at the library.

Something like this, if an ebook has a hold count greater than three times the number of copies owned by the library the check out period should be reduced to 14 days. If the hold count is greater than five times the number of copies the library owns the check out period should be reduced to 7 days.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #307
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
I thought everyone knew that if you load a library ebook on your Kindle and turn off the wireless, the ebook will be readable until you turn the wireless back on.
I don't do alot of Kindle library books. I read them on my Kindle Fire or SGP5 using Mantano till I got my PW.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #308
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
ARGH! I've gotten three notices for held books in the last two days... not sure how they all arrived at the same time. AND have 5 out of 6 books out... what's a girl to do? Turn of the wireless, I guess.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #309
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
ARGH! I've gotten three notices for held books in the last two days... not sure how they all arrived at the same time. AND have 5 out of 6 books out... what's a girl to do? Turn of the wireless, I guess.
I've been thinking about this. If it's a regular Kindle you can transfer it USB still right? No wireless needed. It's a good thing I have spare Kindles.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #310
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. I only use my KK for work, so I'll return one I have checked out (should be able to finish one more), send all three to the PW, and transfer on an as-needed-basis from the MYK to the hard drive. Upset that one of the newer titles doesn't allow TTS so no TTS in the car reading for that title!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #311
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Yes. I only use my KK for work, so I'll return one I have checked out (should be able to finish one more), send all three to the PW, and transfer on an as-needed-basis from the MYK to the hard drive. Upset that one of the newer titles doesn't allow TTS so no TTS in the car reading for that title!
I would email the publisher on that. No TTS is probably a overlooked featured.

I really wish they would put on book details page how long a title may be checked out for!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #312
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well. I'm torn on the 7-day thing. It's not all bad that new books keeps circulating to keep wait times down. Unfortunately many don't return books early, even if they have finished them, and I'm convinced many keep the books the whole 21 days whether needed or not.
But sure, it's a PIA if you happen to be able to check out a bunch at the same time!
(I actually have 7 days as my default lending period, and change it when I feel I might not make it in time.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #313
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I would email the publisher on that. No TTS is probably a overlooked featured.

I really wish they would put on book details page how long a title may be checked out for!
Most of her titles don't have TTS. I'm not sure if that comes from the publisher or author.

(No TTS is one of the primary reasons that got me backing up my books so I could use that feature when *I* wanted to use it!)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #314
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay maybe this has to be a bug but when I went to check out books just now that said 7 days. I went and changed my limit from 14 to 21 and reloaded the page and now those titles say 21 days! I change it back to 14 and reloaded again and now it says 14 days.

So I think it's a bug. I don't think it means what we think it means by limiting the amount of days a book can be checked out or it isn't fully implemented yet.

Could it just be badly worded but really mean how many days you have your checkout limit set at? How confusing!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #315
copyrite
Wizard

I don't think they worked the kinks out of the site too well before it went live.