Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Syber, would you mind going to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11#post2219911 and following the instructions to give us some information about your Touch, please? It may help confirm some thoughts.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
syber
syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Touch
Give me a few minutes as I am currently at work... Will post to that thread.
syber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syber View Post
Give me a few minutes as I am currently at work... Will post to that thread.
No rush. Thank you so much!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi all,

Some clarification. Yesterday, I was curious to see if the update was available through the Kobo Desktop, as suggested by Syber.

That being said, I manually installed the 2.1.1 update two weeks ago. Everything was going really well until I fully recharged the KT. Problems have emerged: slowness, freezes and, in a whole, the device malfunctioned.

So I did a hard reset and reinstalled the firmware 2.0.0.

Peakcrew, by the way my pid is 4163 and the rev is 0110, if it can help.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #35
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Hi all,

Some clarification. Yesterday, I was curious to see if the update was available through the Kobo Desktop, as suggested by Syber.

That being said, I manually installed the 2.1.1 update two weeks ago. Everything was going really well until I fully recharged the KT. Problems have emerged: slowness, freezes and, in a whole, the device malfunctioned.

Thanks for that warning Arios... I haven't done a charge yet since I updated to 2.1.1... Hmm. Weird that a charge would induce such problems.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #36
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks, Arios. Does the serial number begin with an 'N', by any chance? Could you let me have the first few characters up to the first comma, and the the last three digits in the long string, please? To do this, connect the KT to your computer and open the file manager. On the device, there is a file : \.kobo\version - that is where the information is.

On the charging note, I charged mine from half to full the other day, and have had no problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #37
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
On the charging note, I charged mine from half to full the other day, and have had no problems.
Phew!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #38
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Mrs Often

You're welcome!

I can be wrong, but I did nothing more than recharged the KT. Oh, and uploaded an epub with no problematic codes. Frankly, perhaps my KT is simply defective?

Did you read the mdclements' warning (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190836) ?

Peakcrew

Indeed, my serial number starts with N. After the first comma: 2.6.35.3. And the last three digits: 310.

Let me know what are your assumptions about it!

I wish you, and Mrs Often, a nice evening.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #39
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Mrs Often
Frankly, perhaps my KT is simply defective?
I wouldn't think so, such problems seem to be firmware related as far as I can tell from reading these forums. Especially if your KT is working fine now after reset and with a lower firmware version installed.
Quote:
Did you read the mdclements' warning (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190836) ?
Yes, I did, but not until long after I'd already manually updated to 2.1.1. And since I've encountered no problems I just guessed I'd be fine. Based on other posts I imagined mdclements' warning was mainly for problems with installing the firmware... if installation succeeds, why would it break afterwards? Those were my thoughts...
Quote:
Thank you! The same to you
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What I don't know, Mrs_Often, is if Matt is expecting that people who installed the 2.1.1 build manually might have problems when the new build is officially released.

I am not a techie, but I do know that one of the reasons this release is taking awhile has to do with localizations of earlier releases and the odd way they can fail on updates. I think I was the first person to speculate that our Oz and Kiwi friends were having failures that people in No America were not experiencing waaaay back in the early release days of 2.0.0.

I believe that the build we are all waiting for is supposed to take care of that for folks using official builds, regardless of what their initial version was.

In the land of pure speculation---When Kobo started out and had various International partners, each of them had different websites and folks were more or less locked into these partners. They did not buy books from Kobobooks.com. Then that model went away (remember Borders). Devices locked into Borders had to be transitioned into Kobo. It was a difficult project to manage, but it appears to have gone fairly smoothly.

From what I can tell, none of the locked in devices received special firmware changes, so these very localized firmware versions are still lurking about. Some are problematic, some are not.

It seems to me (speculation mode still on), that Kobo recognizes that some location-based things are still necessary, for example, default fonts for Japanese customers and Canadian customer are not likely to be the same. And given that space is limited, the loaded dictionaries could also be different, from one part of the world to another. That being said, it looks like there is something afoot to get a whole whack of code the same regardless of what Kobo eINK device people use, or where they are located when they activate the device.

Now (yes, still more speculation), Kobo actually knows what builds/firmware is out there. And they can figure out how to clean up this issue as long as they can pretty much count on all of the builds sitting on devices being official ones that were laid down on top of them. Add in variations never meant to go on top of the builds on their list, and potentially weird things could happen when the official build is released.

Stick a fork in me; I'm done.

Last edited by taming; 09-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #41
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks for sharing your speculations Taming. It's good to keep in mind. I'm not planning to downgrade to horrid 2.0.0 with it's disastrous snail paced page turns while 2.1.1 is so near to perfect, but I will remember that it will be my own fault if a new firmware comes out and breaks my Touch. (Oh, and, if it breaks so much that a factory reset won't even work--which I doubt--I'll only be happy to have a proper excuse to get a Glo )
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #42
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What I don't know, Mrs_Often, is if Matt is expecting that people who installed the 2.1.1 build manually might have problems when the new build is officially released.
I have the unofficial 2.1.1 and love it. But taming's point above was niggling at the back of my mind when I read mclement's warning.

Oh well, time will tell. Too late to do anything about it now.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #43
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

I am not a techie, but I do know that one of the reasons this release is taking awhile has to do with localizations of earlier releases and the odd way they can fail on updates. I think I was the first person to speculate that our Oz and Kiwi friends were having failures that people in No America were not experiencing waaaay back in the early release days of 2.0.0.

I believe that the build we are all waiting for is supposed to take care of that for folks using official builds, regardless of what their initial version was.

In the land of pure speculation---When Kobo started out and had various International partners, each of them had different websites and folks were more or less locked into these partners. They did not buy books from Kobobooks.com. Then that model went away (remember Borders). Devices locked into Borders had to be transitioned into Kobo. It was a difficult project to manage, but it appears to have gone fairly smoothly.

From what I can tell, none of the locked in devices received special firmware changes, so these very localized firmware versions are still lurking about. Some are problematic, some are not.

It seems to me (speculation mode still on), that Kobo recognizes that some location-based things are still necessary, for example, default fonts for Japanese customers and Canadian customer are not likely to be the same. And given that space is limited, the loaded dictionaries could also be different, from one part of the world to another. That being said, it looks like there is something afoot to get a whole whack of code the same regardless of what Kobo eINK device people use, or where they are located when they activate the device.

Now (yes, still more speculation), Kobo actually knows what builds/firmware is out there. And they can figure out how to clean up this issue as long as they can pretty much count on all of the builds sitting on devices being official ones that were laid down on top of them. Add in variations never meant to go on top of the builds on their list, and potentially weird things could happen when the official build is released.

Stick a fork in me; I'm done.
This is what was worrying me too (problems upgrading from 2.1.1)
Well I suppose one could always just revert to that awful 2.0 before attempting an official upgrade, i mean as it was, 2.0 messed things up for me pretty badly lol
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Thank you, Taming. There was some history there that I was unaware of, and it does start to make some sort of sense. It is what makes our unofficial attempt to work out the differences in the readers so fascinating!

Whist 2.1.1 does address key functionality issues (slower page turns than 2.0.1/.2, which I didn't have as badly as others) , it is clear that it is struggling in other areas (time to open Annotations box, for instance). There are definitely pathways that it doesn't manage well, though this seems to be a common complaint, which I consider to mean that the processor or some other hardware is close to the limit of its capabilities, so that there are always compromises built in (especially between pure programming and marketing needs) to maintain some sort of acceptable performance.

I take the point about future releases depending on what is already installed, and I shall be ready to downgrade to a stable version and reinstall whatever the next version is if I have any problems at all. I suspect this is the case across the board - after all, the average user hasn't manually upgraded to 2.1.1!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #45
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Mrs Often

You're welcome!

I can be wrong, but I did nothing more than recharged the KT. Oh, and uploaded an epub with no problematic codes. Frankly, perhaps my KT is simply defective?

Peakcrew

Indeed, my serial number starts with N. After the first comma: 2.6.35.3. And the last three digits: 310.

Let me know what are your assumptions about it!

Thank you, Arios. Your numbers follow the pattern that revision 0110 goes with an NXXX number. However, I must apologise (not the first time today - I must stop typing on MR when time is short!) - the numbers that are useful from the revision file number are the ones that come *before* the first comma, not after it (usually ending in another letter), and the last three in your case, 310).