Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
4.1 Root Password

Hello,

Can any help?

I am attempting (with caution) to create my own screensavers.

I am following very easy instructions however the root password I have isn't correct.

I am using software 4.1 I have tried mario (this works with framework not root) and fionaXXX (it is 3 normal Xs (yes?))

I am still logged in and would appreciate any help
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
Hello,

Can any help?

I am attempting (with caution) to create my own screensavers.

I am following very easy instructions however the root password I have isn't correct.

I am using software 4.1 I have tried mario (this works with framework not root) and fionaXXX (it is 3 normal Xs (yes?))

I am still logged in and would appreciate any help
The "XXX" indicate three (unknown) digits determined by your serial number.
See our tool index at:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Password
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent.

Thank you for that. I now have lovely new screensavers
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I am right in saying btw the kindle4 (NT) screensavers have to be 800px highs and 600px across, also png?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am right in saying btw the kindle4 (NT) screensavers have to be 800px highs and 600px across, also png?
What did you use that worked?
What did you use that did not work?
What are the original ones?

(You did keep the original ones, didn't you? You will need them when updating your firmware.)
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I'm using pngs 800*600.

I never deleted the older ones I just followed the steps on this site http://hackaday.com/2012/01/05/custo...ouch-kindle-4/

Are the old ones still in my kindle with these instructions?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm using pngs 800*600.

I never deleted the older ones I just followed the steps on this site http://hackaday.com/2012/01/05/custo...ouch-kindle-4/

Are the old ones still in my kindle with these instructions?
There is a 4 - 1/2 minute long video at that link which should tell you.

If you would like, type up the list of commands and post them.
Somebody here who knows "command line" can read them back to you.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Here are the commands

Code:
mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

The "mv" (move) command is what *nix systems use to 'rename' a file or directory.
The "ln" (link) command points one directory name to another directory name.
You can find the details by using the man(ual) command in a *nix system with the manuals installed.
or, ask google:
man ln
man mv
Google knows where to find the manual pages for you.

Just keep in mind, you will have to reverse the changes made by those commands before you can run a firmware update.
Also, keep the *.old directory around, you will need it when you reverse the process.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Expect me back here on Firmware update day doing this

Why!? Why!? Why!?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

"rm" the symbolic link that was created
"mv" the *.old to where it was originally

Get that working for yourself now before you get an "OTA brick".
Check our index system for the various update error codes, one of the links gives the details.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Feeling like a fish out of water here as I have no idea what you think I should be doing to stopping my kindle4 from dying?

I was sweating following those videos alone.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Just make notes that you can find for later on how to reverse the changes you made.
A little practice now would not hurt, also a bit of googling the manual on the commands.

Sorry to be an alarmist - It will not "brick" from those changes, It will refuse to update with an update error code (see those indexed codes in our index system).

Now that you have the adminstrative password to your Kindle, you get all of the duties and responsibilities of being your own computer system administrator.
Sort of like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool.
Enjoy.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I'll have a look to be prepared for future firmware updates. Thank you for the pointers on this.