Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #346
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
You get all sorts. if you search for Harry Harrison ebook you get a mix of direct downloads and torrents, plus a few from PG. None of the retail ebooks even get a mention until page 3.
That would be because it is PD in most countries. Are you really complaining about the ease of finding legal torrents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It is right in what you quoted:
"to grant or purport to grant to a third person the right to do the act complained of"
I asked how. Are you confused by what I could mean by this question?

I'll try this again: by what way or manner has TPB given, or pretended to give the right to make copies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Call me naive, but I do think that people want to do the right thing. How can it be wrong to download the Harry Potter novels when the first page of sites bring you to free copies to download? If it was wrong, the sites would be harder to find. Since they are easy to find, then there cannot be much wrong with doing what you are doing.
I don't know about your browsing history, but if I google "harry potter ebooks" I don't see links to free copies on the first page, or the second, or the third..., and the news that they are available for library lending only start on page 5.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #347
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
So do you see The Pirate Bay to be an ideal location for the police to investigate illegal downloaders? What would be their investigative tools? Get subpoenas to trace back IP addresses, perhaps? Then get individual court orders to go into people's houses, confiscate their computers, and make a forensic examination of their hard drives?

I would say no to the above, because it is too expensive.
I don't see where cost of enforcement is an issue.

It is prohibitively expensive to investigate and try white collar criminals. And being white collar criminals, they are not accused of violent crimes. So perhaps we should do away with due process for white collar crimes. Either that or stop prosecuting them.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #348
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
That would be because it is PD in most countries. Are you really complaining about the ease of finding legal torrents?

Which country would they be PD in? He's still alive.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #349
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
All "Today - 1" countries?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #350
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Several of his older works were written before 1963 in the US, and didn't have their copyrights renewed before the L+ variant came into play here.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #351
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Several of his older works were written before 1963 in the US, and didn't have their copyrights renewed before the L+ variant came into play here.
That would only account for 3 of his books.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #352
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
The country that each of us is quite capable of creating within our own minds and extend as far as we see fit.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #353
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I don't see where cost of enforcement is an issue.

It is prohibitively expensive to investigate and try white collar criminals. And being white collar criminals, they are not accused of violent crimes. So perhaps we should do away with due process for white collar crimes. Either that or stop prosecuting them.
Isn't that what is happening? In Sweden the spend much more resources on iolent crimes and when they try to prosecute white collar crime they often fail because it is so hard to prove intent and the white collar criminals are usually well educated and know what to say. So to a certain degree they have stopped to prosecute them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #354
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I asked how. Are you confused by what I could mean by this question?
Yes, I was, due to its terseness.
I assumed you were asking "How can TPB authorise copying, when they do not have the rights to do so"

Quote:
I'll try this again: by what way or manner has TPB given, or pretended to give the right to make copies?
I've posted the full portion of the judgement that answers that question.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #355
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't know about your browsing history, but if I google "harry potter ebooks" I don't see links to free copies on the first page, or the second, or the third..., and the news that they are available for library lending only start on page 5.
Try searching for "harry potter ebook download". That returns multiple torrent sites on the first page of results for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #356
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
That would only account for 3 of his books.
You said that I should search for "Harry Harrison ebook". The first result gives a list of 11 books written before 1963.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I've posted the full portion of the judgement that answers that question.
No, it doesn't.

The site is called The Pirate Bay. They are not implying legitimacy. Is the court's argument that a site with the pirate ship as a logo is trying to give the impression that they operate fully under copyright law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try searching for "harry potter ebook download". That returns multiple torrent sites on the first page of results for me.
For me it's just one torrent site, and it's not the top choice. And doesn't everyone know that including the word "download" usually give some darknet results? Will the next argument be: try searching for "harry potter ebook free download" and you will see more torrent sites?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #357
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
You said that I should search for "Harry Harrison ebook". The first result gives a list of 11 books written before 1963.

The one from Manybooks? Most of those are short stories from magazines, the only books are Deathworld and Planet of the Damned. I would have expected the first Stainless Steel Rat to be on there too, but maybe that came out after the deadline?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #358
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
The one from Manybooks? Most of those are short stories from magazines, the only books are Deathworld and Planet of the Damned. I would have expected the first Stainless Steel Rat to be on there too, but maybe that came out after the deadline?
And they come as search results for ebooks. Why did you pick this as an example anyway?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #359
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The site is called The Pirate Bay. They are not implying legitimacy. Is the court's argument that a site with the pirate ship as a logo is trying to give the impression that they operate fully under copyright law?
Why do you keep asking me what the court's argument is?
I have posted an extract, and a link is available to the full judgement.
You can just go and read it and find out for yourself what the court said.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #360
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
And they come as search results for ebooks. Why did you pick this as an example anyway?
Favourite writer, and the official ebooks of his only came out a few months ago.