Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Tenzin Jane
Tenzin Jane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Numerals in Chapter Headings: shrinking and doing funny things

Hi,

As a newbie I am hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. When I convert from Word into Mobi Pocket the Heading Numerals eg Chapter 3, Chapter 4 do weird things like reducing in point size or moving below the line ie they're not consistent or flush with the word Chapter. Can anyone give me some suggestions about how to solve this problem. I have been wracking my brains and trying many avenues unsuccessfully. Tenzin
Tenzin Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
How exactly did you create your mobi file?
Did you apply a heading style (header 1, header 2 etc.) to headings in Word or did you just format the heading directly?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What are you viewing the final MOBI with?

It very well could be the font being used by the device/app. I've seen many examples where the numeral one seems smaller and vertically aligned differently than the preceding/surrounding text. I believe the KindlePreviewer (in Kindle Fire Mode) does this.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
It's a function of the font, Times New Roman drops some numerals just slightly below the line. It looks fine in the eBook though. I don't agonize over it.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
It's a function of the font, Times New Roman drops some numerals just slightly below the line. It looks fine in the eBook though. I don't agonize over it.
That's kind of what I thought.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't think Times New Roman has "old-style" numbers, if that's the issue. It's probably a different font, like Georgia.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Tenzin Jane

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. In response to Doitsu, I applied a heading style. H1 is in Arial - which is where the numeral issues arose and H2 is in Times Roman. I'm viewing the final Mobi with Kindle Preview. So I'm getting the impression from what everyone's said that it appears to be a device/app issue although potentially it could be a function of Arial - I will report back.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Are you actually using Mobipocket Creator? That may be your problem, given that Amazon has now moved beyond it.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Tenzin Jane

As I feel perennially behind the times right now can you update me Oldpilot about what 'moved beyond it' means with specifics? Thanks so much.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Well, I upload html to the KDP "bookshelf". It is then converted by Kindlegen or a grownup variant of it. The recommended system is to download and use Kindlegen, which I believe is a command-line program (think DOS). I think the same effect can be had by downloading and using Amazon's "enhanced previewer" and dragging&dropping your Word to it.

Mobipocket Creator was a software Amazon bought six or so years ago to get a running start in e-books. For several years Mobi and Amazon published in parallel; then Mobi books were dropped from the Amazon store and sold only on the Mobi store. Then Mobi closed except to previous customers. Then it closed altogether and paid off those who had money owing them. With the advent of Kindle Format 8 last year (for the Fire etc), Mobipocket Creator really became obsolete or anyhow obsolescent.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobipocket Creator does not work properly with Windows 7 (with IE9) installed. So move on to Kindlegen and Kindle Previewer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mobipocket Creator does not work properly with Windows 7 (with IE9) installed. So move on to Kindlegen and Kindle Previewer.
The only part of it that doesn't work is the TOC generator. If you don't auto-generate a TOC (which I never do) it works fine with IE9. Personally what I do is to use Mobi Creator simply as an OPF editor, then I create the book with Kindlegen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
Tenzin Jane

Thank you! That's a great great help. Really appreciate it. Now I can move beyond the Mobipocket straightjacket into the wild world of KindleGen! Another journey awaits.