Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr209 View Post
Whoa!!!!! Wait a minute...you mean the stuff I have purchased off of Fictionwise will work on my Kindle? Even with the DRM?

Anyone have anymore information on this? This could be big for me...I have purchased several books from Fictionwise!

Greg
non-DRM PRC yes (their Multiformat stuff)
DRMed LIT yes

DRMed PRC no
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #32
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Quote:
Whoa!!!!! Wait a minute...you mean the stuff I have purchased off of Fictionwise will work on my Kindle? Even with the DRM?

Anyone have anymore information on this? This could be big for me...I have purchased several books from Fictionwise!

Greg
There is a drm stripping utility for mobi I believe, but not for the sony reader. I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of books I'd like to move over.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #33
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:

Greg
Sorry for the misconception I caused! I meant the non-DRM .prc files. There was mention about emailing it to the kindle addy, but the non-DRM mobi files can just be transferred via USB and don't HAVE to be emailed all the time.

Last edited by tsgreer; 11-26-2007 at 04:02 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
There is a drm stripping utility for mobi I believe, but not for the sony reader.
There is a Mobi tool out there, but good luck getting a copy of it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #35
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Just returned my Sony Reader 505...it was a sad parting. Now I am just waiting for my Kindle to arrive...hopefully next Monday!

The one good thing about the Sony return was no restocking fee!!!!! Sweet!!!!! I fully expected one!

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #36
sbosak
sbosak began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook 505, Amazon Kindle
Great....got it...but yeah, the ones I really want to mpve I bought at Sony...Thanks for the reply!
sbosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #37
sbosak

Just a note: Amazon's file transfer over wireless seems on the fritz today-- it rejected a perfectly good .DOC and .TXT file (just trying them out) and the tech support number was busy. Probably getting lots of transfers and having problems would be my guess. In the meantime, a formatted PDF file translated and was sent to my Kindle perfectly fine on Friday.

USB transfers of TXT and HTML work fine as well.

They should release a standalone file converter....yeah, I know, there are financial reasons for not doing so, and the converter would be ripe for reverse engineering.

Meantime, if my Sony had search and note functions, I'd much prefer it.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Can't you do it yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbosak View Post
They should release a standalone file converter....yeah, I know, there are financial reasons for not doing so, and the converter would be ripe for reverse engineering.
Why not convert to .prc or .mobi using one of the available convertors?
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #39
sbosak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
Why not convert to .prc or .mobi using one of the available convertors?
Yep, I'll have to try that next. There seem to be a ton of them out there...any suggestions on best DOC and PDF to MOBI converter?...sure wish I could get my purchased Sony material off the danged 505 onto the Kindle...welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, eh?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #40
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Understand all the thoughts from everyone. I bought my 505 as an e-reader. If I want the news I go online. If I want to listen to MP3's I use my 8 GB Sansa. The 505 is a great e-reader which is all I bought it for and I have had no problems getting books I want to read. Downsides? Sure, Sony will once again commit their usual fatal flaw unless they allow for other than the LRF and BBeB formats. I would warn folks that the enemy of "good" is "better". Meaning, if you always want "better" don't buy anything because you'll never be satisfied since "better" is always around the corner. I'm a very satisfied 505 user.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbosak View Post
Yep, I'll have to try that next. There seem to be a ton of them out there...any suggestions on best DOC and PDF to MOBI converter?...sure wish I could get my purchased Sony material off the danged 505 onto the Kindle...welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, eh?
If you're running Windows, the easiest converter to use is the Mobi Desktop Reader for Windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #42
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I have a reader and will get a Kindle by early February (backorder).

I love the idea of EVDO and newspaper subscriptions. So I want the Kindle for all that it can do. I work for a bank at a call center, however, and they don't allow machines with keyboards and wireless Internet. So the Kindle is a no (we can't even have iPods for security purposes).

The Sony is allowed. So I have the Sony for work (I have about 20 hours of free time a week at work in-between calls) and the Kindle for everything else

Anyone else with both?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote