Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I want to read something amazing

Having an ereader, and instant access to just about every book, has left me jaded. I want to read something impressive and amazing. Good and great are not enough, I want to be dazzled.

Back in the day, a good book was enough and a great book was like a lottery win. Now, if the first 25% doesn't wow me, I move onto something else. This is, I guess, the mixed blessing of ereaders.

Looking for some amazing reads, any suggestions?

Please NO sci-fi or fantasy.

Thanks in advance.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. Not a Western but set in the 13Th century Europe and Middle East. I think it is his best book and still do even after reading it numerous times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour.
Apache
Sounds great, will definitely give it a go! Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I posed this same question on facebook and it's been suggested that The Kite Runner is one of the best novels ever written. Any opinions about that one?

I have read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I found it to be intense and disturbing, although extremely well written and unforgettable.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll highly recommend 11/22/63 by Stephen King.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Coralm
Enthusiast
Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle
Are you interested in reading Romances at all? Butterfly Tattoo by Deidre Knight was one of the best books I read last year.
Coralm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recommend that too.
And The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I recommend that too.
And The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.
"Millennium" - 2 "n"s - just like "annual" has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I found The Kite Runner to be a very good read.

From last year's books I read, Steven Galloway's The Cellist of Sarajevo

If you had let us suggest fantasy I would have recommended Catherynne M. Valente's The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden which is more folktale based than fantasy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Please NO sci-fi or fantasy.
You've just eliminated quite a few of the best, and most dazzling, books ever written.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Amazing is in the eye of the beholder. What are some books that YOU found amazing? That would help narrow it down.

About The Kite Runner: it's a very gripping read, but I don't think it's the work of greatness that a lot of people make it out to be.

Incidentally, I have also been suffering from book ennui this past year. I was wondering if it's because I have access to too many books!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Before we can recommend something amazing, we need to know what you are amazed by.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, as Harry says, it all depends on what your definition of amazing is, but if the Millennium trilogy doesn't get you, try the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian. They are now all available in eBooks. And they combine history, science, action, character development, and relationships into a compelling and fascinating series of books. First is Master and Commander.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
You've just eliminated quite a few of the best, and most dazzling, books ever written.
Specifically, _The Black Prism_ by Brent Weeks. One of the best books I've read in a long time and I read a lot of books in many genres. Fantasy is low on my priorities list, but this book blew me away.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not a Stephen King fan, but been thinking of reading this just because it is the day I was born. I was just hours old when a much more famous event stole all my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I knew someone would say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Amazing is in the eye of the beholder. What are some books that YOU found amazing? That would help narrow it down.
It's been so long since I've read anything amazing that I can't think of anything right off hand. I will look through my books later and list some of my favorites.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.