Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Better content lister?

Hi

Somewhere someone wrote that he was able to "zoom" the content lister to make more text visible. Would this be very hard to implement user friendly?

I would love such a feature because I have very long filenames (Author, Title, Year), and only the first characters are visible. Id like to have more than 6 entries also.

On the (probably) long way to a new gui - couldnt this be implemented?
Thank you
Olivier
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The biggest issue is that the contentlister is closed source. There's no way to make any modifications to it until iRex opens it up to the community.

It also handles button presses and almost all of the core funtionality. Building a new one from scratch would likely not be an easy task.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Adam is right, it does do more than just display files. But other than handle keypresses, what else does it do? I know some things it does NOT do:
  • It doesn't handle USB connectivity - kill the contentLister and connect your iLiad to your computer; you can still see your files.
  • I think I learned that it doesn't handle configuration details. I believe there's a separate program that the contentLister runs when you want to change options or network settings. Am I right about this?
  • Doesn't enforce window sizing; the Matchbox window manager does this.
So we would need to make a contentLister that reads buttons, browses files, and runs configuration utilities as desired. What else would it need to do?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Too bad that its close source. I think iRex should open it, because even they - I think it was Mathijs - said that they are not happy with the content lister regarding the huge sientific use of the iLiad...

Scaling the content lister would help already a lot...

iRex, do you hear us?

Olivier
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
In the past, one of their reasons was that they did not want it to be forked while they are still doing active development on it. This makes a little sense to me. They have done a lot with the contentlister lately, moving to xml registry, multiple delete, sharing, etc.

Maybe somewhere down the road the will release the source. I'm betting not though.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Whether they open the source or not, I really wish they'd allow more display options than six items per screen. That's so hugely inefficient.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
I made a small mock-up content navigation app in Python for the iLiad, and zoom was the first thing I made. :-) It would be absolutely brilliant, as it would cover many different user demands in an easy-to-use fashion.

If iLiad open the source code to the content lister (I'lve been nagging about that for about a year now I guess), and the community would very likely make loads of progress in no time. I mean, Zoom is required really, and gestures would be sweet (the eInk is VERY nice for gestures and VERY bad for software buttons). And the speed of the content lister is really bad, using a lot of time to prepare a small page with info. It does of course have to open all the manifest files and parse the XML, even if they don't contain anything useful - and when no info is present, NO info is present. No "last read time", or page count or anything.

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
No "last read time", or page count or anything.
Are "last read time" and "page count" in the manifest somewhere? It would be cool to be able to display those.

I have to admit, I've kind of given up on Content Lister except when I'm reading PDF files. The FBReader display is so much nicer. Now if only I could figure out how to configure an alias to set one of the keys (e.g. News, which I don't otherwise use) to go straight to FBReader.... Then I could just have the iLiad open to FBReader every time, and exit if I need to do something with PDFs.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I really wish they'd allow more display options than six items per screen. That's so hugely inefficient.
I agree.

This is already available on the Cybook, which supports 5, 10 or 20 items in its library view. See the attached 10-item version (from Bookeen's standard images) and the 5-item version in the last photo of Cybook Gen3: I have seen the 1.00 firmware! (I promised some pictures...).

It would be a simple upgrade to the ContentLister to list 12 per page with smaller images, or ~20 per page with only one line descriptions.

The Cybook 2-column approach might be harder to do, because iRex made the mistake of not mapping a long keypress of the up-arrow and down-arrow keys to left-arrow and right-arrow - but that could either be changed globally or just for the ContentLister. That way, the iLiad's 3-key navigation pad emulates a conventional 5-key pad (as on the Cybook).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CybookPackage.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	6999  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Rince,

Given that ContentListener is just started from the rc scripts why not consider writing a replacement from scratch? I guess the only questions are what is sent by the pen and keys to the application, and can the existing applications be supported and/or replaced with equivalent functionality.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote