Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
WOW, The Kindle's battery life doubles overnight

it is magical.

apparently Amazon not to be out done with how to caluclate and stretch the spec sheets now claims the Kindle has 2 month battery life.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...?tag=cnetRiver

Does anyone really take the battery life specs on any device totally serious anymore?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I'm happy with the extended battery life of my Kindle but there is no way it would last for a full month never mind two.
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Does anyone really take the battery life specs on any device totally serious anymore?
I know I don't. You can calculate it any way you want to make it seem longer than it is in practical use, but marketing folks keep doing it so I suppose some folks must take it seriously. It's kinda like printer and copier manufacturers when they tell you you'll get X number of copies out of a toner cartridge.

The battery on my Kindle might last 2 months if I hardly read on it. As it stands in practical use I get about a week with WiFi off and reading quite a bit. I'd expect I'd get similar from the nook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
I'm happy with the extended battery life of my Kindle but there is no way it would last for a full month never mind two.
battery life is to ereader specs to what contrast ratio is to HDTV specs. You hope for a somewhat ballpark figure but don't think in the least they are accurate or not fudge
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
boswd
Banned

so I think it's safe to say you'll get a good battery life out of these and call it a day.
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
boswd
Banned

but this does go to show you Amazon is keeping a very very close eye on BN and maybe a bit worried as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. If you read for one hour a day, you will get battery life of up to one month.
That sounds about right. I haven't been reading much at all lately, and it's lasted me about 1.5 months so far (wireless turned off). They were trying to make it an apples-to-apples comparison, which I can't fault them for, but really it only makes sense to include the blurb above when talking battery life. When I'm really into reading, I'm lucky if the K3 lasts a week without a charge.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
so I think it's safe to say you'll get a good battery life out of these and call it a day.
I'd say so.

Quote:
but this does go to show you Amazon is keeping a very very close eye on BN and maybe a bit worried as well.
B&N has to be their closest competitor so I'd hope they're keeping an eye on them, I'm sure B&N does the same with Amazon.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
it is magical.
Tread lightly, there. I sense an iAttorney licking his chops.

Quote:
No, not in the slightest. I'll read them, and I take them with a grain of salt.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Battery life based on minutes per day of reading time.

Amz (old): 1 month = 60 min/day = 30 hours

B&N (new): 2 months = 30 min/day = 30 hours

Amz (new): 2 months = 30 min/day = 30 hours

When Amazon releases the Kindle Touch later this year, I fully expect a 4 month battery life (15 min/day = 30 hours)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Isn't marketing great? Personally I still prefer knowing the number of page turns, but that seems to be dying out.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
I don't pay too much attention to battery life. Most of my reading is done at home where I have a wall outlet and I don't take 8+ hour flights either. Since practically every eReader I've tried gets ~8 or more hours of reading time, battery life isn't a factor for me.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
I'm not surprised. Last summer when B&N dropped the price of the 3G model and debuted the Wifi model, Amazon dropped their prices by exactly $10 within hours. :P
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think it shows any fear on Amazon's part to keep up with B&N. Apparently, the power draw and battery capacity are the same for both devices, and B&N was trying to pull a marketing advantage, so Amazon countered. I don't especially like it but I understand it and don't think it shows fear.

Also, with more people expecting to use other features, like wifi for shopping and social features, etc, I don't think page turns would be a very valid measure of battery life anymore, either. People will be doing a lot more than turning pages.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Isn't marketing great? Personally I still prefer knowing the number of page turns, but that seems to be dying out.
I like that way too, and Kudos to Kobo for using that method.