Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Hello world

Just to say Hi from the UK. I am trying to find out as much as I can about ebooks and how to create them.

Here in the UK we are still pretty limited, no Sony reader yet and an iliad costs £450. The libraries for ebooks in the UK are thin on the ground too. I have tried I-cue on the mobile though which has a growing list.

I work for a publisher and most of the content is created on Mac OS but nearly all conversion software is Windows based. Is nobody working on Macs?

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Glad to have you here. We like to have people on the publishing side to get (and give) the "other half" of the picture.

As far as Mac goes, that doesn't include me, but yes there are a number of active people here that use Mac. I'm sure they can provide some info.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Hi! And Welcome!
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunty View Post
Just to say Hi from the UK. I am trying to find out as much as I can about ebooks and how to create them.

Here in the UK we are still pretty limited, no Sony reader yet and an iliad costs £450. The libraries for ebooks in the UK are thin on the ground too. I have tried I-cue on the mobile though which has a growing list.

I work for a publisher and most of the content is created on Mac OS but nearly all conversion software is Windows based. Is nobody working on Macs?

Welcome to our vocal, opinionated group. I think you can learn a lot here.

I don't have a Mac or, in general, create my own books (aside from converting some .rtf or .doc files to .pdf).

When you talk about 'libraries', do you mean public libraries? The local iibrary I use in Cleveland (Ohio, not in the UK) has thousands of e-books and audiobooks available. I'm not certain how you promote this as a publisher, but in the US I think this is one of the fastest growth area for libraries. See the e-media area at www.cpl.org or the downloadables area at http://cuyahogalibrary.org/ for an idea of what is available. The primary reason I wanted Mobipocket availability on the Iliad is that is what the library uses to secure their books.

Welcome. Have fund. Ask questions. You will get 8 opinions from 6 respondents because at least 2 people will change their mind.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #5
Neubarth
Neubarth began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Quote:

I published two books on Mobi (That was before it disappeared from the Internet a week ago.). If you have any specific questions about the process, send me an email and I'll be happy to respond.

I found that converting to the Mobi format was very easy. I just followed the instructions and Voila! there was my book! It has been a good source of revenue at a time that I really needed it. Lots of medical bills for my wife have nearly bankrupted me, but the book sales have kept me above water.
Neubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Thanks for the welcome. I am sure Village Reader is right about the opinions. I have just trawled through the thread on why the publishing industry should be giving away all books for free. "Downloaded books cost how much?"

Some interesting concepts there.

I hope I will be able to give as well as receive.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll find that there are some people with some "non mainstream" views here . Welcome to MR!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Neubarth
Neubarth began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I am sure Village Reader is right about the opinions. I have just trawled through the thread on why the publishing industry should be giving away all books for free. "Downloaded books cost how much?"

Some interesting concepts there.

I hope I will be able to give as well as receive.
Give away all books for free? Gosh, that would hamper creativity. For those writers who write for a living, they might not feel so inspired to stay in that profession.
Neubarth is offline   Reply With Quote