Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #16
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Looks interesting so might give it a go when I get home from work.

Does this software have any viewing capabilities? It would be good to be able to read the book out straight out of the libris Me library. As well as my Sony reader, I've also got a convertible laptop/tablet PC, so having a program that can manage my library and allow me to read the books would be great. Currently I have to use multiple programs for this, an all-in-one solution would be preferable.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
irgendwienet
Enthusiast
irgendwienet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-600, iLiad iRex, Barnes & Noble Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Looks interesting so might give it a go when I get home from work.

Does this software have any viewing capabilities? It would be good to be able to read the book out straight out of the libris Me library. As well as my Sony reader, I've also got a convertible laptop/tablet PC, so having a program that can manage my library and allow me to read the books would be great. Currently I have to use multiple programs for this, an all-in-one solution would be preferable.
Unfortunately the current beta version does not come with viewing capabilities yet. We also think an all-in-one solution is preferable and working on such features.
This is a very early beta version to receive early feedback from users (like yours). With some time we will extend the feature set of libris Me more and more to become such an all-in-one solution.
irgendwienet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
What the heck, time to start Parallels and get Windows 7 running to see...

Ugh. stupid .NET framework... Oh well, I tried.

Can this program really sync? Or did something get lost in translation?
I love to beta, but I'm on the same page in regard to .NET 4. From a programmer's standpoint that may be great, but from the standpoint of a user it can be limiting and chancy. E.g., at the lower limit (XP with SP3) one runs the risk of losing out at Microsoft's whim, so won't be trying this one out.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Irving View Post
I love to beta, but I'm on the same page in regard to .NET 4. From a programmer's standpoint that may be great, but from the standpoint of a user it can be limiting and chancy. E.g., at the lower limit (XP with SP3) one runs the risk of losing out at Microsoft's whim, so won't be trying this one out.
Let's don't argue about .NET or not. I just want to explain that libris Me will run on Windows XP without any limitations because .NET 4 works on XP as well.
The user just needs to install .NET 4; if he doesn't the libirs Me setup will offer to do this automatically.

I don't think we are losing a lot of users since libris Me runs on all Windows Versions from XP on. The .NET 4 update doesn't hurt anybody. If somebody doesn't like to install it he can't run libirs Me.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation Malicious software behaviour?

My Sophos anti-virus throws a hissy fit when I run the libris setup application - it detects "Mal/EncPK-OJ" malicious behaviour. The setup fails with an error message "Unable to elevate". Is it try to get elevated privileges or something? (This is on Windows XP SP 3 with .NET 4 freshly installed.)

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 11-03-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
My Sophos anti-virus throws a hissy fit when I run the libris setup application - it detects "Mal/EncPK-OJ" malicious behaviour. The setup fails with an error message "Unable to elevate". Is it try to get elevated privileges or something? (This is on Windows XP SP 3 with .NET 4 freshly installed.)

Andrew
Hello Andrew

the setup should be fine and I scanned it again with some other anti-virus without any problems. Later today I will have a look on how Sophos behaves.

During installation the setup needs to elevate if you are not an administrator on your computer to install. I will try to reproduce your setup and have a look at it.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Andrew
We analyzed this problem and figured out what happened. First of all there is NO VIRUS within the setup.
Some part of the setup compresses its content in a way Sophos anti-virus doesn't like. So Sophos blocks a single file from the setup that is needed to elevate the process and brings up the error message you see.

If you like, you could install libris Me by turning Sophos off. But I also understand that this doesn't sound very trustworthy...

We already created a workaround, so upcoming setups will be fine even if Sophos anti-virus is used. We will publish the new setup soon, but we need some time to verify that this change won't break the setup on any other combination of Windows, UAC-Settings and anti-virus software used.

Andrew, if you like please send me a private message with your e-mail address. I will be happy to send you the setup right now.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for looking into this so quickly. Any chance you could PM me a link to download the new setup file from?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by irgendwienet View Post
Hello daffy
libris Me is a commercial product but we haven’t decided about the business model yet. Maybe libris Me stays free, maybe some version / edition of it stays free. This all depends on feedback from users, device vendors and publishing houses.
Let me know when you have decided that at all times you will provide a full featured free version and I'll have a look. Until then I will not waste my time (Why on earth should I pay for something that is available for free elsewhere?)
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Will give it a try. Personally I see some openings for your software - Calibre is an excellent software pacakge and I don't want to seem anti-calibre, it does nto support my reader and therefore is of minimal use.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
357mag
Connoisseur
357mag doesn't litter357mag doesn't litter357mag doesn't litter

Device: iPad and Galaxy S5
I have tried to import my collection of my non-protected mobi files and I keep getting an error; "libris Me cannot import -files"

What am I doing wrong here? I have imported the same files into Calibre without any problem.

Last edited by 357mag; 11-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #27
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Hello 357mag

the behavior you are telling about shouldn't be the case. I just tested the current and the upcoming version of libris Me. Both can import mobi files without any problems on my machines. I used the Import-Button in the Ribbon and I also drag-and-dropped files from the Windows Explorer onto libris Me.

I'm wondering about the error message you are citing. This message should be something like "libris Me cannot import xls-files" for any file extension libris me does not know about.
libirs Me takes the file extension of any file during import to detect its type and decide how to import this file. For some reason the file you are trying to import seems to have no file extension at all. This could be the reason why libris Me cannot import it and why it cannot give a good error message.

Can you please check the file extension of the files you are importing? On Windows one can setup Windows to not show extensions at all. If this option is turned on on your computer a file could look like "name.mobi" but in reality it is called "name.mobi." with an empty extension after the last period.

Nevertheless we will publish an update to libris Me later today or tomorrow (try the check for updates button in the help-ribbon). Unfortunately this update will not fix you problem but the mobi-file handling will work better once you are able to import the files (the metadata will be read out of the file now).

If you still have some trouble, please send me a private message or keep using this forum.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
This looks interesting, and I'd like to give it a shot. I'm another Calibre user, and I like the way it works, but often have a need for converting/loading Word docs onto my nook. This seems like it would streamline the process a little. The arbitrary web piece also looks like it might meet some of my needs.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #29
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am new to ebooks, so if one of your objective is to check how fool proof your system is, I am your folk
One question, though: are there any devices that you positively know are not compatible with yoru system?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #30
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
As a developer myself, I just want to chime in with some thoughts.

First of all, getting users to change to new technology is always hard. Hence all the whining about .NET 4. Seriously, it really is a big improvement in .NET technologies, but it is also JUST a framework. No different than loading DirectX or .NET 3.5 on your system. Hell, there are even some people developing .NET 2.0 applications still, and yes you have to load that old framework too. Loading .NET 4.0 will not hurt your computer and does nothing but give you access to applications using the new framework which actually has huge benefits to you, especially in the case of user interface, which looking at this application you can tell they are making good use of the .NET 4.0 platform.

I don't work with the folks who make this software by the way, so get it out of your mind! I just know how they must be feeling. How do you give people the best of application you can provide with the best technology when people are resistant to change? You have to continue forward and do the best job possible. In the end, if your product is good, people who are serious about having a good product for whatever task your product performs, will look into your application.

You can never beat pricing though. That is always going to be an issue, and as long as Calibre, an excellent piece of software in itself, is free -you will have a tough sale on your hands. I would suggest you keep to the free model and make money through partners related to the application. There are many ways to do this, but I'll let your marketing guys figure it out.

P.S. Does it offer reading of the ebooks on the PC as well? I'm not really happy with the viewer built into Calibre. I would definately like to see a reader for the PC (to use on my netbook) come out that matches some of the readers out for ebook devices. FBReader is the best one I can find right now. I'm talking something like Aldiko with visual libraries and animations. The Nook PC reader is pretty nice, but the settings are terribly limited. If this is a WPF application you could do some great animation stuff on page transitions and book/open/close. Are you using any after-market controls like Telerik or Devexpress?

P.S.S. Installer works perfectly for me. Just waiting on a key.

Last edited by ColdSun; 11-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote