Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Spunky
Spunky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
PDB and Sony 300 eReader

I downloaded an ebook from Barnes and Nobles and it came in a PDB format. I tried Calibre but it said it had "DRM" that needed to be removed. As I am new and just got this as a gift I am unsure what to do. Can someone help?

Spunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Do a google search for ereader2html.

The resulting html will then need to be converted to either ePub or LRF using Calibre.

We cannot give further instructions on how to use DRM removal tools.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you buy from B&N then your best bet is to get an ePub, because its DRM is easier to remove than from eReader. Currently, it seems you need to download the B&N ebook from within Windows B&N Reader to get the ePub version (you might still get the eReader version, but it is worth trying). The ebook will be in My Documents\My BN eBooks\EMAIL. Then see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented.

Note that B&N is the only ebook store currently using "password" DRM for ePubs. If you buy ePubs from any other store they should work "as is" on your PRS-300.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
There are ways around it, but it is a major PITA. I do not buy from them for this reason, and you might think about doing the same. Kobo is a great ebook store, whose books will work on your reader. And if you want to remove the DRM from Kobo epubs, its pretty easy to do.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you buy from B&N then your best bet is to get an ePub, because its DRM is easier to remove than from eReader. Currently, it seems you need to download the B&N ebook from within Windows B&N Reader to get the ePub version (you might still get the eReader version, but it is worth trying). The ebook will be in My Documents\My BN eBooks\EMAIL. Then see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented.

Note that B&N is the only ebook store currently using "password" DRM for ePubs. If you buy ePubs from any other store they should work "as is" on your PRS-300.
The problem with B&N is that you do not know what you are getting when you buy the book (could be ePub or PDB). My advice is do not buy from B&N unless you have a nook, Blackberry or iPhone or want to read the book on your computer.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
khass2
khass2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
There are ways around it, but it is a major PITA. I do not buy from them for this reason, and you might think about doing the same. Kobo is a great ebook store, whose books will work on your reader. And if you want to remove the DRM from Kobo epubs, its pretty easy to do.....
How can I remove the DRM from Kobo epubs?? Thanks
khass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Kobo ePubs use Adobe Adept DRM. Do a google search for 'ineptepub'.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote