Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Upgrading from PRS-505 to Kindle 2: Good Idea?

Okay, I'm seriously considering switching to the Kindle 2, because quite frankly, I am fed up with Sony's horrible selection of e-books. But, it's a lot of money for a college student, so I thought I would get some opinions. Here are my main concerns:

1. Screen quality: Better or worse than the 505? Are these criticisms of fading in sunlight and overall poor quality a problem with all Kindles, or a defect of a small percentage? I don't read in the sunlight, so it isn't a huge deal, but I love the screen quality of the 505, and I don't want to downgrade.

2. Battery life: Better/worse than 505?

3. Overall construction of the product: Does it feel sturdy, as compared to the 505?

4. Can you go to specific pages? I read a review where it said the jump to/jump back feature on the Kindle 1 was gone. I don't really even know what this feature is, but if it means you can't type in a page number and go to it, then I will definitely pass.

The biggest draw for me is the much larger selection of books for the Kindle. I'm so sick of searching for books for the Sony and not finding them. The other big draw is the keyboard that lets you take notes, and the built in dictionary.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Oh, and before I forget, is the selection actually significantly better? I just searched for the classic The Outsiders and novels by Vonda Mcintyre, and found the selection to be about the same ss Sony's. Like I said, this is the biggest draw for the Kindle, so this is key.

Also, if there is something coming up I don't know about, such as a better Sony or new Kindle device, or if Sony will be improving thier library significantly, please let me know. I thought about getting the touch screen Sony reader, but heard the screen quality isn't as good as the PRS 505.

Last edited by Drezin; 10-07-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I wouldn't consider that an upgrade at all. I got interested due to the kindle, but chose the Sony 505 after doing my research.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you know that you're not limited to the Sony store?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Drezin
Connoisseur

Yeah, but I can't find any other stores that have what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There are plenty of book sources for the 505, Drezin -- just look. There is no way in the world that you 'upgrade' to a Kindle ... that's a step backwards from the 505. Kindle outside the USA (I suspect even within the USA) is trash and an insult to the free-reading public. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
A friend of mine has the Kindle 2 and while I haven't spent much time with it, I'd definitely rate the PRS-505 build quality higher. It feels more solid imho. I haven't compared screen quality, but from what I have read while researching things, the kindle is a little darker shade of grey while the quality is more or less the same. All in all, the PRS-505 screen quality might be a little better (this is what I gleaned from reading a bunch of reviews, especially ones here on MR).

Also, it is easy to embed fonts, etc in the PRS-505 and when making your own EPUBs. All in all, the Kindle is far more "closed" than any other reader which makes it unappealing to me. It might very well work for you. Keep in mind though, once you go to a Kindle, you are committed and restricted to

1) Amazon for all your ebook needs. You can't buy ebooks from anywhere else and hope to reliably read it on your Kindle

2) Your books will never work with any other ebook device. So if you ever choose to move from the Kindle to some other non Amazon device, it can cause you a lot of pain.

If you are OK with that and the better selection at Amazon is more important, then you should go ahead and get a Kindle. While Sony is far from the ideal company when it comes to "open" formats (look at their history of PSP UMDs, Memory Stick Pro Duos, etc) they are surprisingly much better than Amazon in that respect with the EPUB support they have introduced as well as announcements regarding the ultimate shift from their proprietary ebook format to Epub.

Last edited by orion2001; 10-07-2009 at 05:36 PM.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are three search sites for starters:

http://inkmesh.com/

http://www.ebookprice.info/

http://ebooks.addall.com/
Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, Sony is going to be changing their eBookstore (I would guess) in December sometime to coincide with the release of the Daily Edition. Sony will be selling ePub instead of LRX. And that will be good for most eink reader owners except Kindle owners as Amazon doesn't believe in openness. They believe is total control.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Drezin
Connoisseur

E-books bought on the Amazon Kindle store onlywork with the Kindle, right? Because when I looked for A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood on inkmesh.com, I got a result that listed Sony as a device, but the only place that sold it was Amazon.

And what is epub?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub is the new eBook format. It's supported on a number of devices such as Sony, V3/V5 (and clones) Bookeen Opus, soon to the iRex, Paper Logic, Pocketbook, and others. The Kindle does not support ePub. Meaning the eBooks you get from Amazon won't work on any other deice but a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
I looked for A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood on inkmesh.com, I got a result that listed Sony as a device, but the only place that sold it was Amazon.
Well, it's "The Handmaid's Tale" and it doesn't look as if it's (legitimately) available as an eBook anywhere, including Amazon, so not in itself an argument either way, but personally, I'd view it as a downgrade...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Drezin
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the advice. I think you guys have saved me a good chunk of money.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, let a Kindle owner chime in. Purchasing Kindle 2 would indeed be an upgrade from the 505. I've said several times that the 505 and Kindle 2 are not in the same class. The Kindle 2, 600 and 700 *are* in the same class.

They best way for you to know if the Kindle is right for you is to take advantage of the 30 day trail and put it through it's paces. If it isn't for you, all you've lost is the return shipping.

Also, some of the information in this thread about the Kindle is either incomplete or incorrect, so I suggest you check out the links in my sig for more information.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

EDIT: Oh BTW, there's no law against having both the 505 and a K2!

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-07-2009 at 09:13 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Well, it's "The Handmaid's Tale" and it doesn't look as if it's (legitimately) available as an eBook anywhere, including Amazon, so not in itself an argument either way, but personally, I'd view it as a downgrade...
Yeah, I've been wanting that myself but as stated it is not available as an ebook.

oops, just checked and yes it is available on kindle for $3.95 apparently! Still not a reason to buy a kindle though.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Handmaids-...tag=inkmesh-20

Last edited by kennyc; 10-07-2009 at 09:34 PM.