Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Hacks for Users

This is a first attempt for non-intrusive Iliad hack for the geek-but-non-techhead user.

Users: Please test it. You could browse the web.

Developers: Please test it. I have no connectivity right now. If it doesn't work, fix it. If it works, extend it.

The zip contains a hacks.tex that is just needed to extend this stuff.

Usage:
  1. Copy hacks.pdf and addressbar.html to the iliad
  2. "Read" hacks.pdf to enable permanent networking. (Don't forget your Iliad is now wide open for intruders!)
  3. Use addressbar.html to begin browsing.

The addressbar was stolen from schestowitz.com. It's not by me. Credit belongs to whoever wrote it.

Please tell me if it works.

EDIT: This is an old thread, referring to the outdated Iliad software release 2.4. The hack doesn't work anymore.
Attached Files
File Type: zip userhack.zip (11.7 KB, 1369 views)

Last edited by ali; 09-18-2006 at 03:37 AM.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM   #2
ali
Addict

Ok, I tried it myself (where is everyone?): It works!

I could start networking, and the addresssbar works, too. See evidence in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1900.jpg
Views:	2233
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	1256  
Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
ali, it seems like you did an impressive job here. Could you just explain for me layman what exactly this hack does?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
ali, it seems like you did an impressive job here. Could you just explain for me layman what exactly this hack does?
Um, is the question "what's it good for" or "how does it work"?

What's it good for: You can browse the web. The hack enables networking permanently, the html file provides an address bar where you can enter www.mobileread.com, or whatever.

How does it work: The pdf contains links to the Iliad's internal programs to start networking. Other than with the iDS update thing, the network will not be disabled after a minute, but stay active until you reboot. Then, the html viewer can display online websites. Because it has no addressbar to enter addresses, there's a html file that simulates one.

Question answered?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes

Sorry I wasn't sure what this did; I don't have the iRex (yet), so it's sometimes difficult to follow. So before using this hack, networking stayed active for only a minute or so, and browsing external sites wasn't really possible (without an addressbar)?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
TadW, yes, the network was active only during update from iRex iDs site. Check the more technical theads for evolution of the hack.

Some other ideas for the browser were deployed by R2D2 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=270.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
I updated the frameset with a textfield to input an url without "http://" at the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	browser.gif
Views:	1130
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1270  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Browser.zip (3.4 KB, 873 views)

Last edited by R2D2; 07-21-2006 at 01:39 PM.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
anyone know if creating a pdf form to start WLAN with ssid and key is possible?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
anyone know if creating a pdf form to start WLAN with ssid and key is possible?
Should be. But everyone has to make his own PDF to start. Or is it possible with an PDF-Form?!?

The Wireless-Script allows it:
Quote:
wirelessUsage()
{
echo "Usage:"
echo " $0 stop"
echo " $0 start <ssid> [enc <wepkey>]"
echo " $0 scan [<ssid>]"
echo "Note: always dhcp"
exit $EXIT_ERROR
}
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
WOW!

That was fast and impressive work!

Somebody from iRex should give you money for this...:-)

But this also brings me back to something else...I asked a while ago. but didn't really get a useful answer...

Can a variant of this procedure be used to switch off the WLAN completely? I don't mean permanently, only for the time between the activation of the hack and the rebooting of the device...
Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
nope, not really, unfortunately.

There is already a line in wireless.sh stop which should power down the wlan unit.

The only problem is: it doesn't.

I think this is something iRex has to fix, we've got no real chance to do it.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
Should be. But everyone has to make his own PDF to start. Or is it possible with an PDF-Form?!?
I meant using a pdf form, so anyone can use a generic pdf file we make. can xpdf do forms? can we make a df save button, so it remembers form contents?

And for the wlan, i made a shell scipt and put in an eba file like ali suggested. works fine, but only for the more experienced i think.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
I meant using a pdf form, so anyone can use a generic pdf file we make. can xpdf do forms? can we make a df save button, so it remembers form contents?
xpdf should be able to visualize forms, and scribble or pdflatex can make them. But I have not found yet how entered data can be used to modify another part of the same pdf. All the examples are about sending the data somewhere.

Of course adventureous advanced users could first apply the patch from ali https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=38 and then forget about pdf holing, getting bash script execution directly. But such solution is a patch... it breaks warranty.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I'm confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
nope, not really, unfortunately.

There is already a line in wireless.sh stop which should power down the wlan unit.

The only problem is: it doesn't.

I think this is something iRex has to fix, we've got no real chance to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
wireless.sh stop contains "iwpriv $wifiIf deepsleep 1". So I assume either turning off the wifi is working, or it is currently impossible because deepsleep isn't implemented in the kernel module.
So does the wifi unit power down or not? Or am I misunderstanding one them?

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
I'm confused...

So does the wifi unit power down or not? Or am I misunderstanding one of the questions?
i cant say for sure, but my guess is, they try to turn it off, but it doesnt.

does anyone know, how to determine for sure? can a wlan sniffer detect the card? can you check it in proc somewhere? i just dont know enough about hardware