Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
DTFan
DTFan began at the beginning.

Device: Android 2.3 phone
[Answered] Is it possible to sort 3 ways?

New user here. I just installed the latest version and have imported some of my ebooks. I was wondering if it is possible to sort is a variety of ways in the default window.

I've got my main window set up so that it is columns in this order: Title, Author, Date, Size, Series, Publisher.

What I was wondering is if there is a way to organize further from the usual "Sort by Author" or "Sort by Title."

Something like this. Sort books by the Author, then alphabetically by Title and finally grouped (and sorted) if they are a part of a series.

Something like this:

The Constant Gardener - John le Carre
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - John le Carre
The Gunslinger - Stephen King - Dark Tower [1]
The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King - Dark Tower [2]
The Wastelands - Stephen King - Dark Tower [3]
Bag of Bones - Stephen King
Christine - Stephen King
Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
Empress - Karen Miller - Godspeaker [1]
The Riven Kingdom - Karen Miller - Godspeaker [2]
Hammer of God - Karen Miller - Godspeaker [3]
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J. K. Rowling - Potter [1]
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J. K. Rowling - Potter [2]
The Casual Vacancy - J. K. Rowlling

In my example, you can see that the books are sorted initially by Author. Then, grouped and sorted first by Series (in order, not alphabetically), then in singular Titles (not part of a Series).

Is something like this possible in the main Calibre window?

Thank you in advance for any and all help that you can give. Any information will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by DTFan; 06-24-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Question was answered
DTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Yes. First click on the Title column header, then on the Series header and finally on the Author(s) header. One difference from what you ask, though: titles that are not part of a series will come before the series written by the same author (e.g. The Casual Vacancy will come before the Harry Potter books).
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Also have a look at the View Manager plugin

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
DTFan

Thumbs up

Thank you both for your responses. That is soooo sweet that is has those options. I'm going to be checking out the View Manager plugin when I have a little more time (i.e. a little less work).

Thank you both again. Calibre definitely rocks. I see what all the buzz is about
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFan View Post
In my example, you can see that the books are sorted initially by Author. Then, grouped and sorted first by Series (in order, not alphabetically), then in singular Titles (not part of a Series).
To make this your default sort go to Preferences - Tweaks and change the following tweak.

Code:
# Specify columns to sort the booklist by on startup 

sort_columns_at_startup = (('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))
After you make the change be sure to hit the Apply button on the bottom right, then hit the Apply check mark at the top left.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
DTFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
To make this your default sort go to Preferences - Tweaks and change the following tweak.

Code:
# Specify columns to sort the booklist by on startup 

sort_columns_at_startup = (('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))
After you make the change be sure to hit the Apply button on the bottom right, then hit the Apply check mark at the top left.
DoctorOhh - worked like a charm. The only thing I had to change was the outer parenthesis needed to be changed to brackets. I end up using this:

Code:
sort_columns_at_startup =  [('authors',0),('series',0),('title',0)]
Thank you very much for that suggestion. I haven't had time to work with the View Manager plugin yet but for now this is doing exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you again everyone for the great suggestions.

Damn Calibre rocks!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFan View Post
DoctorOhh - worked like a charm. The only thing I had to change was the outer parenthesis needed to be changed to brackets.
Using brackets is exactly how the example is written, I don't know why I had parenthesis. I guess it worked for me all this time because I also have it set in the view manager plugin. I wonder when I screwed it up?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote