Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I see my kids using technology and watching TV when they are out of the toodler stage. I just don't get the need to have them watching movies and playing video games at 18 months. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I certainly hope that children's books have a future. I can remember the first time I went to the library on my own to choose some books. I excitedly took three books home and read them within a couple of hours, so went back for more. The librarian rather sternly told me that I could only have three per day, but did allow me to take another one. I thought that was quite off-putting and I was scared to go back for at least a week.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #33
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And no pop-up ability!
I was thinking of pop-ups Not to mention books with built-in finger puppets, and bits to slide or crank or scratch and sniff (I suspect tablets won't see that feature any time soon).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #34
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I was thinking of pop-ups Not to mention books with built-in finger puppets, and bits to slide or crank or scratch and sniff (I suspect tablets won't see that feature any time soon).
And for books geared to babies and toddlers, textures. I don't see anything like "Pat the Bunny" working on tablets in the near future.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
While I admire parents who read to their children, I fear that MobileReaders are an unrepresentative sample. The issue is what does the average parent do. It seems that more and more to keep their children amused, parents don't hand their children a book: they hand them (insert electronic device here).
If that is the case, there will less and less demand for children's books and therefore less of a chance for children's book writers to make money.
I have a friend who wants to go into writing children's books. I have to say, based on this article, that my advice will be that she try her hand at a children's content app. ( She's a techie).
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't relish the prospect of handing an expensive, breakable tablet to a child. I don't think parents who read to their children will switch to handing them a tablet.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I wouldn't relish the prospect of handing an expensive, breakable tablet to a child. I don't think parents who read to their children will switch to handing them a tablet.
Apparently , a lot of parents buy kids Ipod touches ( See the OP- my brother is not alone).
I know one parent who regularly gives his four year old child an iPad. Says its the best child education tool ever.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
While I admire parents who read to their children, I fear that MobileReaders are an unrepresentative sample. The issue is what does the average parent do. It seems that more and more to keep their children amused, parents don't hand their children a book: they hand them (insert electronic device here).
Again I ask: are these.... ahem... less-involved parents handing their kids an electronic device where they once would have handed them a book, or where they once would have turned on the TV?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My SIL allows my 18 month old nephew to play games on her IPad regularly. There are some neat drawing apps and the like that can keep a child happily occupied when out and about. I don't think there is anything wrong with a young child using a tablet, if the programs are age appropriate. I do think that you have to really scrutinize what you are allowing them to do with it and make sure it is age appropriate.

And I don't intend to let electronics get in the way of kids books. I do see my kid having an e-reader at a very early age, 6 or 7. By then they will have brands out that are more kid friendly. I don't think it is all that different reading an e-book then a physical book but I do think that the child has to be old enough to be reading chapter books before handing over an e-reader.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote