Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
mmread
Enthusiast
mmread has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Ereader with audiobook compatibility

I am very new to ereaders. I will most likely use the ereader to get free library reading material. I mostly read 1 book a month but during holidays and travelling, I read more. I see that my library offers audiobooks but majority of these are .wma rather than MP3. Are there any eraders that support .wma and/or MP3?

I was hoping to spend less than $100. Or do I have to buy 2 devices? I would like to have an ereader that can handle a sd card or a USB card on the side. I was at B&N and was told that I can connect an expandible device by removing the back. That seems weird to me.

Or are there any ereaders that can automatically read the book for you outloud like the GPS?
mmread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
The Ectaco Jetbook (not Lite) and the similar Aluratek Libre have a headphone jack and can play MP3s (also concurrently while reading a book on the screen, if desired). They both have an SD slot for books and audio. They handle the Adobe reader DRM used by most libraries. These devices are covered in the Ectaco jetBook forum.
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The Sony's can play mp3s. A used PRS-505 is still a good option. Quality machines.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Indeed mlxxxp is correct. Sicne the two are so similar I would recommend buying based on two features: 1) the jet book lite supports more formats then the Libra Pro does; 2) Price - the aluratek is less then the jetbook, although its the same price as the jetbook mini.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmread View Post
I am very new to ereaders. I will most likely use the ereader to get free library reading material. I mostly read 1 book a month but during holidays and travelling, I read more. I see that my library offers audiobooks but majority of these are .wma rather than MP3. Are there any eraders that support .wma and/or MP3?
I don't know of any ereaders that support WMA. Most only support MP3. The Kindle has the best audio coverage - MP3, Audible, and text-to-speech.

Why not get an MP3 player that supports MP3, WMA, and Audible? That way you have all bases covered for audiobooks. That's how I listen to them. I use a Sansa Clip+. High quality, yet inexpensive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't know of any ereaders that support WMA. Most only support MP3. The Kindle has the best audio coverage - MP3, Audible, and text-to-speech.

Why not get an MP3 player that supports MP3, WMA, and Audible? That way you have all bases covered for audiobooks. That's how I listen to them. I use a Sansa Clip+. High quality, yet inexpensive.
Agree. Just to be clear, you need support for protected WMA (like the Clip+ supports) for most library audiobooks, not just unsecured WMA support.

The Clip+ is a particularly good recommendation, as it's so small. You must ensure that library audiobooks get loaded in the Clip+'s "Audiobooks" folder in order to get the resume function.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Agree. Just to be clear, you need support for protected WMA (like the Clip+ supports) for most library audiobooks, not just unsecured WMA support.

The Clip+ is a particularly good recommendation, as it's so small. You must ensure that library audiobooks get loaded in the Clip+'s "Audiobooks" folder in order to get the resume function.
Thanks for the clarifications.

If anyone's interested, the Clip+ 4GB will be a Black Friday item at Best Buy and RadioShack for $30 ($20 below retail).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
iTunes will convert wma to mp3. It takes a while, but does the job nicely. There are some other freebie software apps that should do the trick as well.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
iTunes will convert wma to mp3. It takes a while, but does the job nicely. There are some other freebie software apps that should do the trick as well.
Yes, iTunes can convert unprotected WMA files to MP3. But it does not convert protected WMA files like library audiobooks, which are what the original poster was asking about. Library audiobooks come in either protected WMA or (unprotected) MP3 formats (in a ratio of about 5:1 or so, depending on your library). None are unprotected WMA files.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, there *is* a way to do what the OP wants.

The Overdrive reader app for Android supports library audiobooks.
http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/get...cleID=20091221
So if you don't mind reading on a 4" screen an Android phone can give access to both library text ebooks and audiobooks.
In the next few months, Overdrive wil be releasing their App for Windows, Macs, and iOS so at some point the iPod and iPad will also do the trick.

There is at least one Android-based color ereader (the Pocketbook IQ) that is open enough to allow installation of Android apps so, if you can get your hands on the Overdrive app, you'd be in business; it's a 7" LCD-based reader retailing for US$139.

If Overdrive gets their App onto the NookColor App store that would also be an option.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks for the clarifications.

If anyone's interested, the Clip+ 4GB will be a Black Friday item at Best Buy and RadioShack for $30 ($20 below retail).
the sandisk sansa clip+ is THE best hidden jewel in the mp3 world. It simply is the best.
Whenever I see anyone wanting to buy an ipod shuffle or even a nano, I just shake my head and think, people people there are soo many better choices out there. and the Clip+ is one of them.

but to answer the op, just about all ereaders support MP3, your iTunes or even your Windows Media Player can covert unprotected if need be.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you mainly listen to books, why not get an MP3 player?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
mmread
Enthusiast
mmread has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
I see on Black Friday that the
Aluratek = $90
Sony PRS 300 = $100
Sharper Image Literati = $85 - Seen but not operating
Pandigital = $95 - $126 - Seen but not operating
Nook w/wifi = $100 - i don't like

I don't know where to find the Jetbook or Pocketbook in a store.

I "hear" from my Elves that I may get a Samsung Epic or Transform for Cmas. But I don't think I want to use this as my ereader. So from above, which should I get?

I will get the MP3 on BFday!! I see the Sansa Fuse with the 1.9" screen will be $60. I'm not sure if the 1.9" is even worth the extra $$.
mmread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmread View Post
I don't know where to find the Jetbook or Pocketbook in a store.
Pocketbook is mostly available online (unless you live in Kansas City or Seattle).
There's a preview video of the IQ here:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201.../#comment-1027

Jetbooks can be found online at several sites and J&R.

If you want to see the reader at a store you're limiting your choices to just a handful, none of which support Overdrive at anything near the quoted price.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes, iTunes can convert unprotected WMA files to MP3. But it does not convert protected WMA files like library audiobooks, which are what the original poster was asking about. Library audiobooks come in either protected WMA or (unprotected) MP3 formats (in a ratio of about 5:1 or so, depending on your library). None are unprotected WMA files.
With the later versions of Overdrive Console, or Net Library (these are the library audio book equivalents of ADE) and an approved device (I use my iTouch) you will be able to access library WMA audio books. I use them all the time...but as I mentioned, be prepared to start the transfer and go and do something else for an hour. It takes forever.

The iTouch does do ebooks as well, but don't think I would recommend the small 3" screen for ebooks even though my husband doesn't mind it.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote