Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
irgendwienet
Enthusiast
irgendwienet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-600, iLiad iRex, Barnes & Noble Nook
New ebook reader software "libris Me" - looking for beta testers

We just released the first beta version of our eBook reader software libris Me and are now looking for beta testers.

libris Me is an application running on PCs to organize, manage and create content for your eBook reader. The content from the libris Me library than can be synchronized to different reading devices. With libris Me the consumption of Websites, Word documents, Power Point presentations and other content types on an eBook reader becomes as easy as an drag-and-drop-operation.

For more information please have a look at www.librisme.net where you can also download the current beta version and request a free beta key. If the website runs out of keys please feel free to contact me via the mobileread forum.

We are happy about any kind of feedback using the feedback function of the website, the application itself or in this thread.

with greetings from Berlin, Germany
Benjamin Schröter
irgendwienet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
What does libris Me do that Calibre does not? I have been a longtime user of Calibre, and it does everything that I need it to, from format conversions to metatdata changes to syncing with my Reader.
There is nothing wrong with providing alternatives, especially to the Sony software, but I have a feeling that you might have a heckuva tough time competing against Calibre...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Hello AlbertaCowboy
To use Calibre you need to know ebook file formats and technical details a lot. For example you can (or must) setup a number of difficult options to convert some document to an epub etc.
libris Me is targeting a different user group: somebody who likes to read but doesn’t care about this technical stuff. E.g. you mother or definitely my mother.
Maybe you give libris Me a try and maybe you like it; maybe not. Probably you will find some issues with it (that’s why we are looking for beta testers) or some need features you think are missing. Just report this to us and maybe libris Me will grow.
Over the next weeks and month we will publish updates and extend the feature set of libris Me.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'll give it a shot but let me ask, do you intend this to be freeware forever? You have some typos on your home page you might want to fix.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by irgendwienet View Post
Hello AlbertaCowboy
To use Calibre you need to know ebook file formats and technical details a lot. For example you can (or must) setup a number of difficult options to convert some document to an epub etc.
libris Me is targeting a different user group: somebody who likes to read but doesn’t care about this technical stuff. E.g. you mother or definitely my mother.
Maybe you give libris Me a try and maybe you like it; maybe not. Probably you will find some issues with it (that’s why we are looking for beta testers) or some need features you think are missing. Just report this to us and maybe libris Me will grow.
Over the next weeks and month we will publish updates and extend the feature set of libris Me.
Fair enough. Good luck with your development. I might have to have a look...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Hello daffy
libris Me is a commercial product but we haven’t decided about the business model yet. Maybe libris Me stays free, maybe some version / edition of it stays free. This all depends on feedback from users, device vendors and publishing houses.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'd be interested... but you are not.

Quote:
System Requirements
  • A PC running Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later, Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • .NET Framework 4.0
Good luck.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Can you import .mobi files into this program? I didn't see them mentioned in the User Manual so perhaps I missed it.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
What the heck, time to start Parallels and get Windows 7 running to see...

Ugh. stupid .NET framework... Oh well, I tried.

Can this program really sync? Or did something get lost in translation?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
What is .NET framework?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #11
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Can you import .mobi files into this program? I didn't see them mentioned in the User Manual so perhaps I missed it.
Sure you can add .mobi files to the libris Me library and sync them to a kindle device without any limitations.
But for now libris Me cannot convert .mobi files to any other content type to display them on other readers as well. An update within the next weeks will bring this feature for unprotected .mobi files.

As long as you are using .mobi files only with a kindle device you will be fine.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
What the heck, time to start Parallels and get Windows 7 running to see...

Ugh. stupid .NET framework... Oh well, I tried.

Can this program really sync? Or did something get lost in translation?
Hello rcuadro - thanks for trying it even on an mac. We are planning to have a mac version sooner or later. But it takes a lot of work to build great Windows and great Mac applications. We decided against cross-platform technology like java to build better applications for each system.

Syncing:
Short answer: Currently (in this beta version) more or less; in the future yes.
Longer answer: Everything from libris Me will be synchronized to the device. If you add content to libris Me it will be copied to the device; if you delete content in libris Me it will be removed from the device. Folders you create in libris me will become folders on the device (e.g. collections on a kindle). With the next major beta release we are planning to get content back from the device to libris Me to support full 2-way-sync.

Hoping this helps for now
Benjamin
Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
What is .NET framework?
The .NET framework is an application platform from Microsoft. As a user you could compare it to Java. It's just some part of software you need to run libris Me.
If you are using a more or less recent computer with Windows some version of the .NET framework will probably be installed already.

Don't worry about the .NET framework to much. If it is missing on your computer the libris Me setup offer to download and install it for you.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, about those typos. loosing track instead of losing track, Amzonz instead of Amazon.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the syncing thing, I have a lot of stuff on my Kindle I have no need to keep track of, I just downloaded it for the heck of it (the pre 1923 Ruth Fielding series for instance) and I'd rather not have it clutter up my database of "good" books. Nor do I wish to delete something on both necessarily. Anyway, it should be optional.

One thing you could try to do is be more user friendly on conversion options than Calibre. For instance, say you are importing a PDF that has page numbers. You can remove them via Calibre, but you need to know some sort of scripting language to be able to do it.

Or maybe have it able to detect chapters automatically. For instance, say a document has a line like "Chapter One" or "Chapter I", it would be cool if a converter could pick up on that being a chapter and make it one automatically.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #15
irgendwienet
Enthusiast

Hi Jeremy

We will fix the typos - thanks for that.

When using the current version of libris Me your "good" books will not be cluttered up with all the other books. e.g. you can organize your good books in kindle collections.

Your ideas of user friendliness are very good and indeed we are thinking about such features. For example if you add a website from a blog or a news site libris Me will detect the actual content and removes the menus and ads to create a very good-to-read book out of the website. With upcoming beta versions we will add more and more features like this.